1.    #1  
    I love the pre keyboard for typing but sometimes when you just need to type a few characters it is easier to have an onscreen keyboard then to open and close the slider.
    Can't imagine why not. They can add it after the fact since it's just a software change...and it would allow them to sell WebOS devices that do not have keyboards. I imagine that Palm is following the Android model to some extent - include/prioritize what you need to support your first hardware device...and then add other capabilities to support other devices in the future. Android 1.0 did not have an on-screen keyboard, which wasn't an issue since the G-1 had a physical keyboard. The G-2, however, does not have a physical keyboard...and the "cupcake" release of the OS added an on-screen keyboard just in time to support that device.

Of course, Palm has a different development model, but I still think that we will see one sooner or later.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  3.    #3  
    yea i agree.
    Yes it is coming, i think it will be in the next update or after summer. But it is coming.
    opening the slider is just soooo hard. An on screen kb is stupid when you already have a kb. Palm has like a zillion other things to worry about first.