1.    #1  
    How does the Pre handle web forms with text boxes that require scrolling? Posting on this site with my iPhone got me thinking about this. On the iPhone, to scroll in a text box without dragging the entire page around I can place two fingers in the box and drag to scroll. Sometimes this is buggy but usually works without issue. I'm not sure that I've ever seen this method documented anywhere.

On the Pre is this possible? I know that in an editable text situation you could use the text selection method to effectively drag the cursor downward, dragging the text with it, but what about situations where you can't place a cursor?

I use a webapp at work that is designed only to work with IE and requires scrolling within a static frame constantly. It produces no scroll bars on my iPhone so I use the two finger scrolling method I mentioned before. I'm wondering how the Pre would handle this.

Thanks in advance for any info on the subject. I'm trying to determine whether the Pre, or another WebOS device, will work out for me if I get moved to a non AT&T area soon.
  2.    #2  
    *bump*

Has no one browsed a site (with frames) or typed in a text box that required scrolling? This is something that comes up fairly frequently for me (such as now while typing in this text box with my phone). When you need to scroll, how do you do it with a Pre?

Also, when clicking on a drop down menu such as the "Forums" link on Precentral, does the Pre immediately go to the Forums page or does it drop the menu and let you select a link?

Thanks in advance if you can either question.
    Last edited by LD__50; 06/23/2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Unless the orange key method of moving the cursor will also scroll through a form, I don't think there's a way to do it. I remember reading about this problem some time back.

As far as selecting from a drop-down menu or list, you just need to press on the menu header or list field and hold for a second. You'll get the options in a pop-up sort of list.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Well, we have it now, and I still don't know the answer. Anyone?
    Nope. I-framed in content doesn't seem to scroll on the pre unfortunately. I don't see scrollbars at all when I know for sure that there should be scrollbars. As far as I know there's no way to insert a cursor in non-editable text on a web page, so the orange-drag method won't work either.

And as far as typing in a text entry box such as the one in this forum, the pre's browser des not automatically moves along as you type like on Mobile Safari. It's an ehancement that I hope palm implements soon.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    No way to scroll, I'm afraid. The text solution has been my work-around, but it won't help here. Sorry
    As much as I love my Pre, this is a big limitation on my web surfing. Especially since I got rid of my internet card, since having this phone. Hopefully the issue will be fixed soon and very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by LD__50 View Post
    How does the Pre handle web forms with text boxes that require scrolling? Posting on this site with my iPhone got me thinking about this. On the iPhone, to scroll in a text box without dragging the entire page around I can place two fingers in the box and drag to scroll. Sometimes this is buggy but usually works without issue. I'm not sure that I've ever seen this method documented anywhere.

On the Pre is this possible? I know that in an editable text situation you could use the text selection method to effectively drag the cursor downward, dragging the text with it, but what about situations where you can't place a cursor?

I use a webapp at work that is designed only to work with IE and requires scrolling within a static frame constantly. It produces no scroll bars on my iPhone so I use the two finger scrolling method I mentioned before. I'm wondering how the Pre would handle this.

Thanks in advance for any info on the subject. I'm trying to determine whether the Pre, or another WebOS device, will work out for me if I get moved to a non AT&T area soon.
    Because your post was longer than the text box that allows me to type a response, in order to scroll down, I simply placed the cursor somewhere, then held the orange key as I swiped down. I did that until I reached the bottom of your post.

In drop-down situations, holding a finger on the link for a sec will reveal the drop-down menu. That's for situations like PreCentral.net's "forum" link/menu. But if you're using, say, the jump-to-forum box (the type with an arrow pointing down and a long list of options) you can just click the box, then flick through or wipe down the list (no orange button required) to see the other options. You'll be tempted to press the down-arrow that indicates there are more options further down the list, but that won't work. Just flick the list like when you scroll through your contacts list on your iPhone. Then make your selection.

Check out a Pre demo unit in a Sprint store (Best Buy's and Radio Shack's displays aren't functional) and you'll see what I mean.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.