Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    do you honestly believe removing the battery will brick the phone....

how about all those with the battery that was too small and shutting off the phone when they used the slider.

Not sure which is funnier the fact that Sprint told you removing the battery would brick it or the fact you believed the *****.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Same thing happened to me.. i called the number listed on the " i broke my screen" thread and talked to a sprint rep. Told him the store was jerking me around and that i was unhappy and wanted to leave sprint.. he filed the insurance claim for me and refunded me the $100 i had a new Pre in my hands 2 days later...
    you know, i've never had a problem with sprint support. ever. I always wonder if it's just bad luck, or the attitude of the person. I'm not accusing at all, but polite, calm and assisting with find a solution has always gotten me what i needed, and sometimes even what i wanted.

Go to a non-coporate store that does repair, and see if they have a refurb freebie phone you can use till you get your pre fixed. If you explain what's going on i'm sure they can help, also, always make sure to speak to a manager if the regular flunkie is no help.
    Quote Originally Posted by hevans View Post
    ... Solution - wait for replacements to arrive...
    I believe there are other possible solutions, but if you are happy with the solution you have chosen, I will respect that.

I payed full whack for the phone, I also purchased insurance, I also have the everything included account - I am now told I will not have a phone... and that I/my business should just wait....
    Are you saying you bought the other phone before leaving the store and writing here (presumably asking for help). If so, you've really motivating me to learn how to filter a member for the list of messages I have to read. I don't think it is very respectful of our time to phrase things like you were looking for help if you already made a decision regarding how to solve your problem.

If this is self centered - so be it. I need A phone.
    hevans
    It looks to me like you made this decision too fast. Had you not already returned the phone, someone here might have been able to walk you through some steps to get the phone working again. Another alternative would have been to bring the phone to a different store and get a "second opinion" so to say. One last thing to try (assuming you already returned the phone to the store) is to call the store up and ask if they tried the to re-image the phone. (see a previous post mentioning the "WebOS doctor thing at http://palm.com/rom"). If you're happy with the decision you made to throw money at the problem, we can think of your problem as solved (and hence, we have no more reason to continue this discussion).

Let us know if you want any additional suggestions or not.

EDIT: Looking back over the thread, I'm not sure whether you bought a second phone (because you "need A phone" or you didn't because you are "wait[ing] for replacements to arrive".) [I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ here. I had just assumed you bought another phone when I first wrote this response, but now I'm not sure.
    regards,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/23/2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Addded mention of a point of confusion I am having.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Struggling to find anything useful to say on these boards to get to 10 posts...but I will relate my Pre purchase experience. I've not previously ever had any sort of nice phone, just the free ones and I actually had a cheap-o phone for more than two years and had been putting off getting a new phone. Someone from Sprint corporate sales or something cold-called me and told me that I had an additional $100 equipment credit from my employer if I wanted to upgrade, but that I had to order on the phone only to get that credit. I'm not up on phones and didn't even know about the Pre, so I went down to the store and realized I could get a Pre for $100 after mail-in rebate and it was obviously the best phone for me. I didn't realize you couldn't get them except in the store, so I went back home and tried to order it with them over the phone. When I told them I wanted the Pre, she told me they couldn't order it for me yet and I had to go to the store. But I can't get the credit except ordering by phone, so the very nice person solved that problem (she thought) by putting a note on my account that they would honor it at the store. So I got on the list and a few days later went down to get my Pre. At this point, the store could not get the credit to process, and when they called in on the phone, we ended up speaking to a robot who just kept repeating that "you can't put an equipment credit on an account that has a Pre". I kept explaining what had previously transpired but this person was oblivious. The store workers and this phone person argued for about 45 minutes, I kept just telling her to override their rule in the system or just give me a plain credit or anything. Finally the store manager resolved it properly, probably because a friend of mine happened to walk in and we started having a loud conversation about how this crap must be why Sprint is bleeding customers, etc. So it took three or four hours overall, but I'm happy now. The store personnel actually cared and could see the situation, but that phone person was not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ac2b View Post
    Struggling to find anything useful to say on these boards to get to 10 posts...but I will relate my Pre purchase experience. I've not previously ever had any sort of nice phone, just the free ones and I actually had a cheap-o phone for more than two years and had been putting off getting a new phone. Someone from Sprint corporate sales or something cold-called me and told me that I had an additional $100 equipment credit from my employer if I wanted to upgrade, but that I had to order on the phone only to get that credit. I'm not up on phones and didn't even know about the Pre, so I went down to the store and realized I could get a Pre for $100 after mail-in rebate and it was obviously the best phone for me. I didn't realize you couldn't get them except in the store, so I went back home and tried to order it with them over the phone. When I told them I wanted the Pre, she told me they couldn't order it for me yet and I had to go to the store. But I can't get the credit except ordering by phone, so the very nice person solved that problem (she thought) by putting a note on my account that they would honor it at the store. So I got on the list and a few days later went down to get my Pre. At this point, the store could not get the credit to process, and when they called in on the phone, we ended up speaking to a robot who just kept repeating that "you can't put an equipment credit on an account that has a Pre". I kept explaining what had previously transpired but this person was oblivious. The store workers and this phone person argued for about 45 minutes, I kept just telling her to override their rule in the system or just give me a plain credit or anything. Finally the store manager resolved it properly, probably because a friend of mine happened to walk in and we started having a loud conversation about how this crap must be why Sprint is bleeding customers, etc. So it took three or four hours overall, but I'm happy now. The store personnel actually cared and could see the situation, but that phone person was not helpful.
    A good ending, fyi using the enter button on long posts is a good thing, helps with the reading and you dont get lost in the giant paragraph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Sorry to bug you but i work for VIP wireless and wondering which store location you went too and who helped you out that kept you happy. its not often I hear about one of our stores online helping out and our company is not that large, mostly family owned and operated so i'm sure i know who it was...might have even been me lol.
    Is this VIP Wireless in Northfield NJ?
  8.    #28  
    Was on my way to ATT to port back my phone # and the Sprint store called and had an iPhone delivery this AM and exchanged out my Pre - apologized for any inconvenience... I was behind a guy who was having issues with his $4,000.00's (monthly) Blackberry account - he owned his own company.. we both agreed that our various companies would be bust if we ran them like Sprint.

Anyway - am now happy - One thing I noticed - the Sprint salespeople all seem very humble and quiet (at least my location) - the must deal with frustrated customers a lot!

Anyway - Have a working phone so I am happy....
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclusk2 View Post
    The first thing they told me at the Sprint store was DO NOT remove the battery if the phone is on. This will brick it for sure.

I was told to click the switch three times to reboot.

If I have to get to the point that I have to remove my battery, I'll go to the Sprint store and have a tech do it. That way, if they brick it, it's on them.

Sorry about your luck. I've had good service with Sprint over the last 6-7 years.
    What about the Pre's that have loose batteries that cause the phone to re-boot when the keyboard is slid out? Do they get "bricked" as well?
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Was on my way to ATT to port back my phone # and the Sprint store called and had an iPhone delivery this AM and exchanged out my Pre - apologized for any inconvenience...
    They really switched an iPhone for your Pre?? That's definitely going the extra mile.

Seriously, I'm glad it worked out for you.
  11.    #31  
    Neither Radio Shack or BB had any Pre phones - I was driving over to ATT to re- port my phone number back to iPhone/ATT this AM when Sprint called to say they had a replacement phone at the Stapleton store...

So I now have a replacement and am very happy...

Its insane that Sprint would tell a customer with a business phone to "wait as long as 5 days to 3 weeks" for a replacement phone to come in - and not be able to offer the customer a temporary phone solution....
  12.    #32  
    No - I have an ATT account with an iPhone - when Pre came out I jumped ship, ported my # to Sprint and started using the Pre... When Sprint said that they could replace my phone in 5 days to 3 weeks and could not give me an interim solution short of selling me a new phone at full price... I was going to (reluctantly) take my business back to ATT. I have to have a phone.
    No - I have an ATT account with an iPhone - when Pre came out I jumped ship, ported my # to Sprint and started using the Pre... When Sprint said that they could replace my phone in 5 days to 3 weeks and could not give me an interim solution short of selling me a new phone at full price... I was going to (reluctantly) take my business back to ATT. I have to have a phone.
    I was playing off your typo. You said the Sprint store got an iPhone delivery. I knew what you meant, just messing with you. It's one of my endearing qualities...
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I am getting in gear to have it out with my local Sprint store where my wife and I got our Pre's. Got my phone Wed. of last week, camera crapped out 36 hours later. They haven't had any in until today. I set up an appointment with a guy yesterday for today, get there and was told that was canceled because it was done yesterday, they reset them each day. Then why would the dumbass not tell me that when I made the appointment? That was the first part, then we told them why we were there and he said they had some Pre's in finally but they were all reserved he "thinks." I asked how about reserving one for the guy who had his crap out after 36 hours? He told me they would have to have their techs look at it and I would probably have to go on a "return list" and get a refurbished phone. I said I would not take a refurb. (All of this by the way is different from what Sprint CS says on the phone as to how it should go, if this is how it has gone for others then let me know so I know to not go by what Sprint CS is telling us)

The only thing they did do to help out today was give us a new rebate, since the ones they gave us when we got the phone said the phone had to be purchased by June 6th.

Anyways, we left the store and the wife sent off an email to the manager (who was out today). She was the one who helped us out with getting the Pre's, and called us to let us know, and was overall very helpful. We are hoping she will be the key to getting this worked out. If not, I may call Palm and see if that works out. It will get worked out, but today was kind of annoying.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
    What about the Pre's that have loose batteries that cause the phone to re-boot when the keyboard is slid out? Do they get "bricked" as well?
    Absolutely not. The Sprint store rep was confused and spreading misinformation.
  16.    #36  
    OK - I cannot tell you how many times I was referred to store managers "who were not in today"... when I did get dates of when they would return from vacation etc.... I would come in mid morning to be told they were not in until the PM - do Sprint Store Managers actually exist?
    OK - I cannot tell you how many times I was referred to store managers "who were not in today"... when I did get dates of when they would return from vacation etc.... I would come in mid morning to be told they were not in until the PM - do Sprint Store Managers actually exist?
    Usually they're around at least some of the time. If they are not there, ask "who's in charge today?", get their name, and keep at least a note of the day/time and result of the conversation. (I know this sounds easier than it is, and I definitely understand your need to have a phone and not to waste a boatload of time playing the run-around with people.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Don't take a refurbished phone within the first 30 days of purchase unless you caused damage to your phone. If it is otherwise failing you should get a new phone. Corporate stores still do not have refurbished phones.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Neither Radio Shack or BB had any Pre phones - I was driving over to ATT to re- port my phone number back to iPhone/ATT this AM when Sprint called to say they had a replacement phone at the Stapleton store...

So I now have a replacement and am very happy...

Its insane that Sprint would tell a customer with a business phone to "wait as long as 5 days to 3 weeks" for a replacement phone to come in - and not be able to offer the customer a temporary phone solution....
    Not for nothin' but, if you damaged an iPhone and needed it repaired/replaced not only would you have to wait for it to be shipped out and then returned to you -- YOU would pay, as you say "full whack" for that -- especially since YOU broke your phone. Last I checked, AT&T/Apple have very, very limited insurance for the iPhone. Just sayin'

Oh, and glad that you got your replacement. How 'bout those useless Sprint reps -- calling you back and directing you to a replacement phone! Wonder if you would get such *poor* treatment from AT&T/Apple? Where I come from, the way Sprint resolved your issue would be considered both appropriate and professional.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I payed full whack for the phone, I also purchased insurance, I also have the everything included account -
    So how are you a new Sprint customer if you payed full price?

I smell bull ****...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast