Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my 2week old bug-free pre met a big glass of water and they had a fight. The water came out on top. Oh no! That's right, I have TEP, as I've had for 2yrs previously on my 755p. Never needed to replace, but how hard could it be right. I mean, the website says I can make claims 24 hrs a day, only takes 10 minutes, and this is my favorite "your phone will likely be with you tomorrow". That's true, in a way, I still have my phone.... the broken one.
    I contacted the manager of my sprint store, who through the whole pre ramp up, had kept me somewhat informed on the launch details, who told me that I had to go through Asurion who manages TEP that i've been paying for. Sure thing, so I go to their phoneclaim website which displays all the things I listed above that make it seem so easy to claim and get a new device. Well, it was, at first. I filled out a short form, entered my wireless number, it detected that I had a palm 100HK(i think I got that right) aka Pre, and that they had one in stock, would I like to replace mine? Yes. I pressed the button and got a "were sorry blah blah blah page, but we need addtional documentation to process your claim". no info on what kind of documentation, just a number. Called number to find out, but it's sunday at this time, and no one's there on sunday. I guess that make claims 24 hrs a day is only for online claims and not for pre's. After a few minutes of cat and mouse with the automated phone chick, I established that I needed to turn in a "signed affidavit and a copy of a government issued ID". Either mail in or Fax. Luckily, I have a fax machine, I guess the poor sap who doesn't would have to snail mail it in and wait forever.
    So today, I called asurion to make sure they got my fax. After some more painstaking interaction w/automated girl I got a real person on the other end. Jeanette made me really miss ms. computer voice girl. She told me they had recieved my documents, but my license was expired. 1. no it isn't. 2. So what. My expiration date is on the back side on a sticker that they send you here in Louisiana. Well Jeanette said that the only thing on the back was my organ donor info. This is right next to the current exp date. I told her this, and she said no it wasn't. So let me get this right, the only thing that did not come through on my 3 page fax was a tiny bit (less than a square inch) of the middle of 1 page that just happened to have the 1 bit of info that could hold up my claim? Well I refaxed the license about half a dozen times, waited a couple of hours, called back, held for 5-10 minutes b/c they "are experiencing extended waiting times due to high call volume" and who did I get....Jeanette, of course. I think she's the CSR, CEO, CFO, claims manager/denier,....basically the only employee of this "company". Anyway, I told Jeanette who I was and that we had spoke earlier, she wasn't impressed. She looked up my account and said that my new fax isn't showing up yet, and that it's "loaded electronically" so there's no one that is gonna be able to give me any more info than she is, so no use trying to go up the chain of command. Did I mention that in the contract, it states that they can ask you to submit all this documentation before processing your claim. And it takes 24-48 hrs after they receive it to process it and give you any new information. So in 24-48 hrs I find out if they've received it, and if it doesn't show up....again, I'll have to refax it and wait another 24-48hrs. I remind you of the poor sucker who does this through the mail, he'll probably have a Pre Pro before his claim is processed.
    I understand all the red tape and beuracracy that comes with filing a claim. But what really pisses me off is that I'm left with no phone in the meantime, I have no idea when or even if I'll be given a replacement phone, and it's nearly impossible to correspons with Asurion, and when I finally talk to someone, it's always Jeanette, who is oh so utterly not helpful. Asurion's whole system seems like it's set up to be really difficult. I waited from January to June 6 to get this phone, following it several times a day on every tech blog/forum, and I swear to god if there was some way I could get my money back for the Pre, I would go get and IPHONE, even though I swore to never get one. I would acutally do it just to send a little screw you to sprint and asurion. I know I can get out of my contract, but since the phone is damaged, and I'm not a liar and I told the sprint manager I damaged the phone, no refund for me. I don't know it any of you have tried to get a replacement pre yet through asurion, but I would love to know your experiences. I mean, do they have a sign up above everyone's desks that reads, do not grant claims for Palm Pre's without following the "stall them till they quit calling or forget that they ever had a Pre" guide book.

If any of you have similar, or any experiences with asurion and a broken Pre, please, I'd love to hear them. I need a glimmer of hope right now.

Update: So asurion Called today. Seems that that little box on my ID still did not show up with my current expiration date. Must be something to do with the shading in the box that does not show text when faxed. But guess what, they granted my claim anyway. They said I should receive the phone tomorrow! Awesomly aswesome. I am much happier w/them today obviously, but more because they had a real person call me to complete my claim. Not sure if my ranting email I sent them did it, or if my sprint managers "contact" came through, or if thats just how it would have went anyway, but its done now. Score +1 Asurion.

And for everyone here, thanks for all your responses and opinions. Really helped to ease my frustrations knowing most had not had the sam experiences. Let me say that most of my frustrations were not due to the wait time or extra paperwork required, it was the fact that the website did not tell me what paperwork was required. It was only after going through several options on their 1-888-number and automated operator that I was able to ascertain what they needed exactly.

The other thing was that once I sent in the documents by fax, there was no way to confirm that they had recieved them in their entirety w/o waiting 24-48 hrs, as they are apparently scanned into the computer system electronically. So if they hadn't made and exception today and granted my claim without having the current expiration date on my license, I would have just found out today, and would've had to refax it and wait another 24-48hrs. Or worse, mail it in.

And very last, it's very difficult to talk to an actual person on the phone. I know this is becomming the standard these days, but there isn't even an option to speak with a cust service rep. You have to hit one of the other options and hope that it leads you to someone.

So that's my beef w/asurion. All that said, it's irrelevant now as my phone's on the way. Hopefully it'll be yellow box, at least 1.02 perfection as my first one was. Glass half full Right?

P.S. Sorry about the wall o'text, its my second post, and I was ranting.
    Last edited by Superstardjal; 06/23/2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
    Man that's a drag...I've heard horrible things about insurance companies, but thats CAR insurance, where the collateral is $15,000+, not a $550 phone. But I guess you also pay a lot more for car insurance for that reason. I can say that I have not yet had to go through Asurion with my Pre (knock on wood) but I have had to for other phones (Samsung A900 'blade') and what's weird is, I remember snapping the phone in half because I was upset for some reason, taking it to a sprint repair store, and they handled the insurance portion and just gave me a new phone. Not sure if this is defferent because it's a new phone and more expensive phone, but try going to or calling a sprint repair store and see if they say the same thing. Sorry I can't help more but good luck with everything and keep us posted...I know for sure you will be missing that thing and I feel your pain!!!
    Asurion sent me a broken Pre

1: discoloration at bottom, especially in lower left-hand corner
    2: three dead pixels (that i've noticed so far)
    3: no EV access (previous Pre always had EV service in my house) so something must be wrong with antenna
    Sorry to hear about your issues...

I actually had a good experience with Asurion.

Phone broke Sunday Night, had the new one by Wednesday.

Not only that I gotta keep the accessories!

Extra battery
    Extra Charger
    Extra slip case
    Extra headphones

I can see how a bad experience with them is possible but my was pleasent.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Yeah.. i've had lost of expensive smartphones and never had insurance. However, I did break my iphone 2g and 3g, which cost me.. ~400 to repair. I suppose over the last 3 years, 7*36=182 + 100*2 = 382, so there is not much of a savings for having insurance and I probably could have been more careful with my phones. Buying them outright, or fixing them myself was far easier than dealing with insurance companies.

With that said the Sprint rep. sold me on TEP for the mean time.. in my 30-day window and Im tempted to cancel it..
    Hey carr, won't they give you trouble for that? I would assume they'd look for any reason to not honor their contract. Anyways, I'm debating whether to hang on to the battery when I exchange my phone...
  7.    #7  
    carr, the phone u replaced, was it a pre? did they ask u to submit a "signed affidavit and photo ID"?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Ask your sprint store to help you with the claim.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    whoa....sounds like you guys are handling it the wrong way. You need to find a Sprint phone repair center. I took my phone in because it was accidently ran over with a 20 ton dump truck. i even told the rep that and they laughed. Sprint repair centers simply try to repair the phone and if they cant then they give you a brand new one on the spot and handle the claim for you!!! In other words you walk out with a new phone instantly and they deal with the hassle of the insurance companies. The funny part is that I accidently ran over my phone with a ford f-350 in the same week and took it back and got another one. They didnt even care. Its not their job to because the insurance company pays for it. Now im stuck with two extra batteries and cables
    You're definitely not stuck, send a battery my way and I'd be happy to pay the shipping fee But anyways, do you guys only hang on to the batteries with insurance claims, or also when you do exchanges at the store? Mine has a bubble under the screen, so I'm getting it exchanged, would be nice to have an extra battery...
    I have had two phones replaced in the last few years and never had an issue. They were both recieved the next working day.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear about your experience.

I've had about six phones replaced over the last 3 or 4 years between my wife and myself and I've had zero issues with the insurance company. (We have bad luck with dropping/breaking/losing phones).

Each time I had the phone replaced without issue. All the phones were various forms of Treos. My wife broke/lost her phone so many times that we couldn't make a claim on her account for a year (luckily we didn't have any mishaps during that silent period).

in any event, the insurance always worked exactly as planned. I called up, they hit my card for the deductible, and two days later I'd have a new phone.
    I've had good experiences with TEP, but saying that if you get your phone replaced with water damage or running it over with a dump truck you are lucky because their policy specifically excludes both. This is the exact verbiage of the policy:

"The Sprint Equipment Service & Repair Program does not cover damage beyond repair, liquid damage, cosmetic damage, or damage resulting from customer misuse or abuse."
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Pres are hard to come by right now. In a month you probably won't have this problem. If it was any other flip phone you'd have a replacement next day, but they can't send you what they don't have so they're probably told to give people the run-around. They just need to find a way to make these things quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by FamCortez1 View Post
    whoa....sounds like you guys are handling it the wrong way. You need to find a Sprint phone repair center. I took my phone in because it was accidently ran over with a 20 ton dump truck. i even told the rep that and they laughed. Sprint repair centers simply try to repair the phone and if they cant then they give you a brand new one on the spot and handle the claim for you!!! In other words you walk out with a new phone instantly and they deal with the hassle of the insurance companies. The funny part is that I accidently ran over my phone with a ford f-350 in the same week and took it back and got another one. They didnt even care. Its not their job to because the insurance company pays for it. Now im stuck with two extra batteries and cables
    This phone is a non-repair exhange only phone. but also, an exchange only pre is hard to come by, so there is a good chance "on the spot" replacement isn't going to happen.

People on this forum should know this phone is not so easily replace. Seriously, keep your phone away from big glasses of water, edges of desks, front pockets, etc. C'mon.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I've had good experiences with TEP, but saying that if you get your phone replaced with water damage or running it over with a dump truck you are lucky because their policy specifically excludes both. This is the exact verbiage of the policy:

"The Sprint Equipment Service & Repair Program does not cover damage beyond repair, liquid damage, cosmetic damage, or damage resulting from customer misuse or abuse."
    That's the $4/mo. insurance option. The $7 one includes those specific items you outlined.
    Oh man...that is a horror story. I always think these extended warranty or insurance is a scam. They always tell you how easy it is to get a replacement, and when you have a problem and try to claim it, it's a nightmare. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops so from now on, I never get those insurance or extended warranty anymore. They do nothing but screw you over. I figure if it's under regular warranty it's good enough.

Speaking of insurance, I go to BestBuy and I bought a game or something for 25 bucks or so and the guy ask me if I wanted insurance for that and it would be 35 bucks. I felt like smacking them in the head and say "are you ****ing out of your mind...why would I want a 35 insurance on a freaking 25 purchase". Then I realize they're probably required to ask that to all customers. I can't believe how low best buy go to these days to scam people out of some money. I'm sure some poor sap out there are buying it when they don't even need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    This phone is a non-repair exhange only phone. but also, an exchange only pre is hard to come by, so there is a good chance "on the spot" replacement isn't going to happen.

People on this forum should know this phone is not so easily replace. Seriously, keep your phone away from big glasses of water, edges of desks, front pockets, etc. C'mon.
    I didn't buy the phone to look at, I buy to use it. And sometimes you put it on the desk or the pocket. Now I do think that getting a glass of water on your phone might be a little careless. I would never put it near a glass of water, but I've had a phone dropped in the toilet before.
    I'm gonna get a bubble for mine when I get it... like the boy in the bubble. i'll have the little finger gloves to put my fingers through so the phone never touches the outside air. the i'll get the bluetooth so I can talk on it.

I kid I kid

seriuosly though I hope it goes better for you soon. I'm sure as others have said, its just 'cuz they are so hard to get right now.

it's too bad production is so terribly slow. or whatever is holding up the process. probably gotta blow up another mounain for all the materials....
    Even without TEP, Sprint has replaced phones for me for a small charge. I had a Treo 700wx and a Blackberry replaced for $30 a piece.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast