View Poll Results: Has 1.0.3 made your Pre better, worse, or the same?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Pre is better with 1.0.3.

72 51.80%
  • My Pre is worse with 1.0.3.

10 7.19%
  • My Pre is the same with 1.0.3.

57 41.01%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, my verdict on 1.0.3 is:

1. Very happy that the non-SSL EAS issue was fixed. Very impressed with how quickly this was resolved.

That's the positive. The negative (and not really a complaint, because Palm didn't promise anything with this update):

2. My battery life certainly hasn't improved, and might even be worse. No matter my usage, I'm still burning at least 10% every hour. My workday starts at 7:30am and ends at 6:30pm, and so it's not enough to get me through a fully day.

3. Performance has taken a step back for me. Apps take longer to open, there's a hesitation when first starting to scroll, both in apps and the launcher. Scrolling is also more choppy.

4. Worse yet, the phone app used to pop up instantly when I get a call, and the answer/ignore buttons would respond instantly as well, making receiving a call something of a pain. With 1.0.2 I could hit the button and start talking immediately. Now, I need to wait for the button to show up, hit it (sometimes more than once), and then wait a second or two before speaking.

Since it's been a few days, I thought I'd stick up a poll to ask the question specifically: has 1.0.3 been better, worse, or the same for you?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Only things I've noticed with 1.0.3 are that web pages load much faster.. that's about for my usage anyway.

Haven't noticed anything negative though, so that's a good thing.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Been a bit better...maybe this is just luck/placebo effect, but I never seemed to get much signal where I worked, and what's a hard day's work like without a little hiding your cell phone from your boss while checking out the web or precentral forums??? Anyways, long story short, when I first got the phone for the first week and a half it would barely make it through an 8 hour day without the battery coming close to death, and I wasn't browsing the web often (wasn't really able to w/signal issues mentioned). Now i charge the phone overnight, take it off around 9am, get to work at 10, play around on it ALL day, get home around 7:30pm and still have about 30% (compared to the 5-10% before the update). The OS seems to respond about the same, not much quicker or slower, but all in all, I like 1.0.3 so far!!!
    My battery life got better, and my phone seems as snappy as ever. Mine has a warranty date of 6/12, my buddy has one that is 5/30. We were just at Applebees and while we were there, I updated his phone to 1.0.3. After the reboot I did a little comparison to see if one is faster than the other. Mine consistently brought the phone aap up faster than his. By the time mine was done, his would just start up.

Don't know, maybe there's a difference in speed from phone to phone?

Other than that, I had absolutely no negative effects with the update, it's not like we have a choice anyhow!
    I think Palm sealed up some memory leaks because my phone has been running very nicely. I haven't rebooted since I applied the update.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Overall its hit or miss.

There is a nasty java bug causing the browser to hang up for 10 minutes or so, the cards opening in an endless loop isn't fun and in general the OS is a little slower IMO. I think the memory leaks are a little worse and is causing performance to degrade a bit faster between resets.

The email app seems a little speedier.

The EAS fix was needed.

Signal doesn't bounce as much in low signal areas. Something Sprint seem to have a lot of in certain places.

Battery seems better.

So overall the update was a mix bag as they usually are. Right now the biggest issues are still with the core applications that need a lot of tweaking before they can start adding more features.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Isn't anyone else getting 50+ hours on a charge now? 1.0.3??? I don't know but it's better now than before.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Haven't really noticed any major difference except that my "swoosh" sound doesn't fade now.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I've noticed that when you have a hotmail account set up in the email app it no longer drains the battery completely in 4hrs plus it seems overall the battery life is a little better for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    My battery life got better, and my phone seems as snappy as ever. Mine has a warranty date of 6/12, my buddy has one that is 5/30. We were just at Applebees and while we were there, I updated his phone to 1.0.3. After the reboot I did a little comparison to see if one is faster than the other. Mine consistently brought the phone aap up faster than his. By the time mine was done, his would just start up.

Don't know, maybe there's a difference in speed from phone to phone?

Other than that, I had absolutely no negative effects with the update, it's not like we have a choice anyhow!
    Oh, yeesh... Now I'm REALLY wondering about my Pre. Wasn't in the mood to exchange it, even though I have 2 stuck pixels and a slider that does the side-side shuffle, but now you have me thinking about it...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've noticed that the web does seem faster, but my push e-mail is no longer reliably working. It intermittely stops working until I manually check for messages.
    My battery seems to be lasting longer. Haven't really noticed any other differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Oh, yeesh... Now I'm REALLY wondering about my Pre. Wasn't in the mood to exchange it, even though I have 2 stuck pixels and a slider that does the side-side shuffle, but now you have me thinking about it...
    I was a bit nervous about doing the switch too... mine had the blotchiness and the free floating slider problem...it really felt loose!... but I took the plunge and went for the yellow box! Glad I did! By the way, my friends phone had the same warranty date as my old phone did, but my old phone was black box, his was yellow box.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    My battery life was reduced somewhat after the update, but it is still enough to get me through a day of moderate use without any worries. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has never had a problem with battery life.
    Seems to have buttoned up some loose ends. Nothing real major for me, though.
    My battery life is probably about the same, which is to say it's neither great nor terrible. But you know what has disappeared for me? The "can't open new cards" message. I used to get it all the time with 1.0.2, and haven't gotten it once with 1.0.3. So I definitely think they closed off some memory leaks, particularly in the browser. I have seen the javascript bug mentioned by Aridon, though. Never saw that before, but then I had to restart the browser more frequently because of the memory leaks.

I'm looking forward to 1.0.4.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Battery life is DEFINITELY worse. I only hope the Seidio battery I ordered helps.
    Took it off the charger at 4+ hours ago....4-10 min. phone calls, 20 emails later....51% Even my Mogul was better than that.
    I have all GPS turned off, brightness turned down, I have an Airave and I have WIFI off.
    I AM VERY OPEN TO MORE SUGGESTIONS. I love the phone...when I have power!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I was a bit nervous about doing the switch too... mine had the blotchiness and the free floating slider problem...it really felt loose!... but I took the plunge and went for the yellow box! Glad I did! By the way, my friends phone had the same warranty date as my old phone did, but my old phone was black box, his was yellow box.
    Hmmm... This is a bit of a conundrum. I reacted poorly to your post, but really my phone app opens instantly, so by that test mine seems to be fine. Thanks for the clarification--the fact that his is really an "old" build (if there really is such a thing) just in different packaging is interesting and seems to kill that particular correlation (i.e., different packaging = newer build phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    4. Worse yet, the phone app used to pop up instantly when I get a call, and the answer/ignore buttons would respond instantly as well, making receiving a call something of a pain. With 1.0.2 I could hit the button and start talking immediately. Now, I need to wait for the button to show up, hit it (sometimes more than once), and then wait a second or two before speaking.
    This has been the only negative for me, and it's huge. takes 20 seconds for the phone app to load. Needs to be fixed again, and soon.

Otherwise battery, web, apps, are all responding better and have been greatly improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjschaef View Post
    Battery life is DEFINITELY worse. I only hope the Seidio battery I ordered helps.
    Took it off the charger at 4+ hours ago....4-10 min. phone calls, 20 emails later....51% Even my Mogul was better than that.
    I have all GPS turned off, brightness turned down, I have an Airave and I have WIFI off.
    I AM VERY OPEN TO MORE SUGGESTIONS. I love the phone...when I have power!
    Are you having the Pre get email as they come? If so try and swith it to every hour or two and see if that helps. It was a huge drain for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast