View Poll Results: Does Pimpmypre work on your phone?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 72.28%
  • No

17 16.83%
  • Sometimes

11 10.89%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Its because they pulled it while they address some of the issues.
    I tried to follow the link late last night when it was up and I was unable to do so .. I had not problems with flip-flops or tip calculator; any suggestions?
    For all those having trouble deleting the app, have you tried removing it under developer mode? Just a thought....

And instead of the orange button try removing it under device info, press more info, software tab, then swipe left/right and select delete....
    Last edited by Wendellp; 06/23/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    I downloaded this app as soon as it was posted on this site. It's nice to see that people have already figured this out, just 2.5 weeks after launch, with no SDK! So congrats guys. I can't wait for the update to have full functionality...keep up the good work, and please post on this site, when the update is released!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    For all those having trouble deleting the app, have you tried removing it under developer mode? Just a thought....

And instead of the orange button try removing it under device info, press more info, software tab, then swipe left/right and select delete....
    This work for those that couldn't delete it?
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Compatible with only .wav files or can you also use .mp3's?
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    It is truely amazing of the ease of others ability to create such apps within only a few weeks of the Pre's release but yet Palm's failure to include such a common everyday features like selectable sms tones that even the most basic phones has. Palm has had some time in getting this ready but it is as though their attempt to the ground breaking features in the new OS, they forgot about the common features. Oh well, I'm sure all will be better in due time but still....I was blind-sided because I never would have even thought of these lefted-out features.

Granted I truely like this phone, I'm highly disappointed in the features they striped from it. I came to the forum looking for the way to set or change the tones because I thought I was overlooking something simple but now I see that it wasn't me....the feature does not exist.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    you can use MP3's. I am.
    I get nothing when I click on the link though my email.
    Syphex, they're updating the app and took it offline until they fix the delete issue.

"APP REMOVED UNTIL DELETE ISSUE IS FIXED!
    ALSO ADDING A RESET TO DEFAULTS!
    BE BACK ONLINE SOON!"
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcap View Post
    It is truly amazing of the ease of others ability to create such apps within only a few weeks of the Pre's release but yet Palm's failure to include such a common everyday features like selectable sms tones that even the most basic phones has. Palm has had some time in getting this ready but it is as though their attempt to the ground breaking features in the new OS, they forgot about the common features.
    From looking at the code, it's clear that they took a *lot* of shortcuts in getting the phone ready.

Global search is a good example of this-- if you were writing this to be modifiable and extensible, you'd have an easy way of building a list of search providers in a config file or database, then read out of that to display the options. Instead, we've seen that the search providers are hard coded in three different places, with additional hard-coded references to Twitter that need to be altered if you want to remove the Twitter search.

This is clearly indicative of a development effort to get something done with "enough" functionality-- software development has what's known as the 80-20 theory: 80% of the time, only 20% of the features are used.

Did I hack global search to add IMDB? Sure. Have I hacked it again to remove Twitter and add something else? No. Had they written configurable global search into the phone from the start, I probably would remove Twitter because I don't use it, but I don't have anything else to add. Arguably, it was the right call to *not* spend resources to add this feature, because it has extremely low usage-- I would have used it 2X, then left it alone.

As far as people hacking the phone to add features, don't let that fool you into thinking that "oh, this was only a week of time by a couple guys, why didn't Palm just add that in the first place?"

First, most of the hacks out there are just that-- hacks. No one's rewritten global search to make it configurable, they just figured out where the hard-coded references were at, then hard-coded in more stuff. The alert stuff definitely looks more sophisticated, but from what I've seen of the Palm code, I know that they can only take this so far in terms of truly "doing it correctly" simply because the Palm code isn't set up to allow that right now-- that's why they had to disable some of the options, they couldn't make those work without overwriting Palm's code.

Next, this isn't going through a normal software development process that would be in place at a large company. While this allows for rapid development, it also means that you've got no guarantees that what you're doing isn't going to affect something else.

What's worse for Palm, putting out a phone missing a couple features, or putting one out that doesn't work? I hit this tradeoff at work all the time-- while I might have the development resources to do something, I might not have the QA time to verify that everything works correctly. Imagine how much worse that would be when you're trying to verify that *every* app on the phone is working correctly, and that none of them stomp on each other.

We already saw one consequence of *not* following a formal development process with this app-- you can't delete it.

Palm had a relatively short amount of time to develop a new piece of hardware, a new OS, and over 25 apps, essentially from scratch. Clearly, they had to make some unpopular calls about what should stay and what should go. But just because some people were able to go cowboy and hack in some additional features doesn't mean that Palm did it wrong in the first place, it just meant that they had to work with different requirements and time frames.
    I'm sick of how politically correct everyone is being about this crap.

You’ll see placeholders for the other features we tapped into, but since it invades on Palm’s intellectual property (mainly because we would have to alter Palm’s existing Email, SMS and Phone applications to make these options work) we have left them unusable.
    Give me a break everyone is so scared the big bad palm might bite you because you allowed people to change their ringers!

If the iphone jailbreakers and creators of the installer app would have been such wimps there might still not be an app store!
    But just because some people were able to go cowboy and hack in some additional features doesn't mean that Palm did it wrong in the first place, it just meant that they had to work with different requirements and time frames.
    Cowboy....lol....I like that.

I know that they are truely trying because I was very surprise to receive a call from Palm today to inform me of the new update. The call came from out of no-where & truely got me by surprise. The last I talked with Palm was 2 weeks ago when they last called me back to inform me that they the Pre didn't support my email system. They told they were aware of the issue then & was working on it. That's why I was really surprise that they called me back today about the update to tell me that the update should resolve my issue....granted the update did not resolve my issue, it was still nice that they called me about it.

A few co-workers have already returned their Pre's out of frustration of incapatability of needed & wanted features but I think I'll hold on to it for a bit longer. I really feel gotta be better soon because Palm truely knows our disappoint & they seem to really be working the issue.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcap View Post
    Cowboy....lol....I like that.
    That's what my bosses would always call it when I did it. My all-time favorite was rewriting the DB search routines for finding concert tix-- in the middle of a major onsale.

In my defense, it was the only time that I could really see how the systerm performed under load
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    you guys got punked and your complaining about it
    the site is back up and working now
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Dear god someone help me. I love the app. Works great in its limited form, but apparently it signed me up for email updates. Now everytime something gets posted at their site I get an email about it and I cant figure out where to disable the notify me when new updates are posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    i just PM'd the admin on that site. i have the same issues as you. UGH. please share here if you figure out how to turn that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
    Ok, I subscribed to pimpmypre to get the link email and it worked, BUT now I am getting several emails every time someone posts something at their site AND I DON'T WANT THAT, and I can't find any place in their website to remove the email subscription...

Anyone have any idea on how to get rid of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I cant even find where on the site they're posting these things that I get the emails about without the link in the email. Ughh.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    What email do you use. If it is coming to your email. Can't you just tag it as spam?
    I just laughed for a really long time reading these. THANK YOU ALL for making this so freaking funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I just laughed for a really long time reading these. THANK YOU ALL for making this so freaking funny!
    Laughing at another's expense is normally okay when you don't let them know... None-the-less now that you all were the genie pigs let us know when they fix all the quirks!
    Does anyone know exactly what triggers an allert vs. what triggers a notification? Which is text, email, power plugged in etc.
    Thanks,
    FJKB
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I have a non-rooted Pre and this app worked just fine for me! Now I just need to make some good sounds to use as notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiespeck View Post
    the site is back up and working now
    So people are able to delete the app now?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast