Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

First let me say that I do really like this phone. It's a great size. I love the form factor and features. I was with verizon for awhile with a BB curve (storm for a little too...blech).

Here's my question...is the service I get with the palm representative of usual sprint service? or should I expect OS updates to improve the service significantly. I know this has been addressed somewhat in other threads, however, responses seem all over the place and I haven't read a comparison to verizon service.

My service is not great with the Pre. Much more varied (2 bars - 5 bars - 2 bars, etc) In addition, I was in an area and the pre switched over to roaming. Now this is new to me since I never once saw my verizon phone "roam" and I traveled all over the country with it.

I also have terrible service in my apartment. I did get the free airave but it only helps when I initiate the call for some reason. If I get a phone call and try and answer it, it tries to use sprint service and then I can't hear the other party (nor can they hear me).

I still have two weeks left to decide if I want to keep sprint service...what should I do? Should I switch back to Verizon and just wait until the Pre comes out for VZW?

Anyone who has used both carriers and/or Sprint users please weigh in...Thanks!
    It really depends on your location, and who gives you the best signal.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My situation mirrored yours and I reluctantly returned the Pre. I miss much about it and still hang out here and read about it. I want to see what happens over the next 6 mos or so.
    I am hopeful that VZW will come out with the Pre or a Palm WebOS phone that I can
    return to as I really love the OS in many ways. But all the 3rd party apps in the world could not change my connectivity issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by largeselection View Post
    Hello,

First let me say that I do really like this phone. It's a great size. I love the form factor and features. I was with verizon for awhile with a BB curve (storm for a little too...blech).

Here's my question...is the service I get with the palm representative of usual sprint service? or should I expect OS updates to improve the service significantly. I know this has been addressed somewhat in other threads, however, responses seem all over the place and I haven't read a comparison to verizon service.

My service is not great with the Pre. Much more varied (2 bars - 5 bars - 2 bars, etc) In addition, I was in an area and the pre switched over to roaming. Now this is new to me since I never once saw my verizon phone "roam" and I traveled all over the country with it.

I also have terrible service in my apartment. I did get the free airave but it only helps when I initiate the call for some reason. If I get a phone call and try and answer it, it tries to use sprint service and then I can't hear the other party (nor can they hear me).

I still have two weeks left to decide if I want to keep sprint service...what should I do? Should I switch back to Verizon and just wait until the Pre comes out for VZW?

Anyone who has used both carriers and/or Sprint users please weigh in...Thanks!
    I am in the same boat as you and have yet to port my numbers, I am just worried that it will happen when I need it for an emergency, or if I miss an important work call.

But Verizon is just so dang expensive as well, so it really is a trade off. Do I want to keep getting gouged to insure I never lose a call, or do I take my chances with a cool new phone
    I switched and so far I'm good with the coverage. I did notice it went to roaming once overall their coverage is good in my area. Also I think Sprint's data service is alittle better that VZW. Also did you call Sprint about your Airwave issue, it sounds like it could be a config issue.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There has been quite a few posts of people having worse reception with the Pre compared to their previous Sprint phones (I've had the same excellent service everywhere, but that might just be in my area). I guess the decision is up to you, if it is serious like dropping your calls or what not, then I wouldn't wait for a software update.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Like others have said, it really depends on where you live. Where I am at, I have a BlackBerry Curve (on Verizon) which I have to carry for work and I have my Pre (on Sprint) and I have to admit, Sprint's network has been TREMENDOUS where I am. I get a better signal....and I actually get 3g as opposed to Verizon.

Either way, I am excited for our Verizon brothers that will be picking up the Pre when it makes it's way to you guys. It really is one of the most amazing pieces of tech I have seen in a while. Verizon just scares me with what they will do with my precious....I HATE VZ Navigator and Verizon has some hatred for Wifi that they feel the need to remove it from every damn phone they have...
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I am in the same boat as you and have yet to port my numbers, I am just worried that it will happen when I need it for an emergency, or if I miss an important work call.

But Verizon is just so dang expensive as well, so it really is a trade off. Do I want to keep getting gouged to insure I never lose a call, or do I take my chances with a cool new phone
    A cool new phone you can't make calls on doesn't sound that cool to me. I would think that whatever verizon is charging over Sprint you is worth it if you can actually use the phone as a phone.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I work for Verizon and I switched to Sprint to get the Pre. I have seen about the same coverage on Sprint as I did on Verizon, so the switch hasn't been to hard for me. However, if you're getting dropped calls, it really doesn't matter what kind of phone you have, because what is it good for if you can't actually use it? Better make sure that AirRave is going to cover you before you're locked into something that makes a better paperweight than a phone.
    I like any good phone on a good carrier.. And anyone in the know will tell you, bars are kind of meaningless.. You could be standing next to a tower and have one bar and be 100 ft away and have all of them.. You can either make a call or you cant.. And on Sprint, when you roam, its FREE.. Verizon does roam on other carriers, it just will only display the roam symbol if it is a smaller carrier..

But like someone said, if you can't make a call, then the phone is really not good for you..

And Verizons signal strength indicators are not accurate at all. I really believe that is why people say that about Sprint vs VZ.. Sprint's is more "honest" so to speak...
  11.    #11  
    Well I'm in NYC which should have excellent service everywhere for every carrier. I have dropped a few calls with the Pre (I have yet to drop a call with vzw). It's honestly just a problem with my apartment and the uneasiness about service fluctuating so wildly. I just don't have that sense of reliability that I used to have. When I had my VZW curve, I was confident that I could always (100% of the time) make/receive phone calls/data/text/etc. With the Pre I just don't have that sense of reliability...Any NYCers want to weigh in?
    actually im a NYC resident and the pre has the best reception for any sprint phone yet. My BB pearl was pretty damn good--but so far I get almost full bars everywhere. My EVDO internet is speedy all over manhattan. Back in Queens its the same.

Im really happy with Sprint NYC's coverage--and honestly i wouldnt expect anything less since they have such a large presence here.

Ive had 2 dropped calls so far and they were in the usual spots like my garage underground.
    Here is my experience... (I came from Verizon..)

Portland OR Metro Area.. Can't really see difference between Pre and my previous Verizon phones. No dropped calls so far (as was with Verizon..) Coverage map seems to indicate that Sprint and Verizon actually share network... I could be wrong.

Anyway, I was inside an office which is located within a metal factory building. I noticed that Pre signal was switching back and forth from EVDO to 1X and even R. However, all my calls came in and no dropped calls or anything... All calls were crystal clear. Here is the twist to the story. Next to me was my co-worker who has Verizon motorola E815. For those of you that are not familiar with this phone, it's supposed to be one of the best RF phone verizon ever had... My co-worker always tells people how he can never use any other phone other than E815 because it works when all his other phones failed to catch signal.. In fact, when his original E815 died, he went so far to search ebay and get another one... (this phone has long been discontinued.)

And there he was sitting next to me and getting mad because he couldn't complete his calls. His 815 was showing random bars but when he actually tried to make a phone call, nothing happened. I was shocked to hear this because I know how his phone always had great reception. Needless to say, I was a proud Pre owner right there..

I just hope my luck with Pre's reception continues when I visit other cities/states.
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
  14.    #14  
    I'm surprised dynoboy...maybe it's my phone....I guess I'll call sprint back tomorrow and see if they can trouble shoot a technical issue perhaps?
    I'm surprised dynoboy...maybe it's my phone....I guess I'll call sprint back tomorrow and see if they can trouble shoot a technical issue perhaps?
    You have to remember that with cellphones and networks everyone's experiance is different.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Something is wrong here - I have the Airave and can make and receive calls fine with it. I'd contact Airave support (866-556-7310) and see if they can figure out what is preventing you from receiving calls.

As to service, I'm another Verizon switcher. Sprint's signals are definitely weaker in buildings than my old Treo. At home Verizon worked fine - I have basically no Sprint signal there despite being in a 'green' coverage area.

That said, I get usable signal basically everywhere else around town. With an Airave at home, I can deal with it.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Do a network are update and you will get better service, I live in NYC and i do it from time to time and what it does it look for cell towers around you for better service;

Select the dial pad, then hit the sprint word on top left hand corner, then select preferences and then scroll down and select Network Settings.

Helped me.
  18.    #18  
    I will try updating the network settings and the PRL. Hopefully that will help....

Update- just tried updating the PRL and got an error 1012. Told me to try again and if it still doesn't work to contact sprint. Anyone successfully update the PRL?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I will try updating the network settings and the PRL. Hopefully that will help....

Update- just tried updating the PRL and got an error 1012. Told me to try again and if it still doesn't work to contact sprint. Anyone successfully update the PRL?
    Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries. At least for me.
    Well I'm in NYC which should have excellent service everywhere for every carrier. I have dropped a few calls with the Pre (I have yet to drop a call with vzw). It's honestly just a problem with my apartment and the uneasiness about service fluctuating so wildly. I just don't have that sense of reliability that I used to have. When I had my VZW curve, I was confident that I could always (100% of the time) make/receive phone calls/data/text/etc. With the Pre I just don't have that sense of reliability...Any NYCers want to weigh in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynoboy46 View Post
    actually im a NYC resident and the pre has the best reception for any sprint phone yet. My BB pearl was pretty damn good--but so far I get almost full bars everywhere. My EVDO internet is speedy all over manhattan. Back in Queens its the same.

Im really happy with Sprint NYC's coverage--and honestly i wouldnt expect anything less since they have such a large presence here.

Ive had 2 dropped calls so far and they were in the usual spots like my garage underground.
    NYC here too....flawless sprint service for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast