1.    #1  
    Hi,

My BMW got out of the shop today so I was able to test. I installed a Sony XPLOD ipod-ready car stereo in it last year, which has an ipod adapter, USB and 3mm. I'm happy to say the Pre will recharge when connected via USB.

Interestingly enough, though you can play and control iPod via USB, its kind of weird in the pre. The only way for the radio to see the Pre was to select Media Sync, but I had no control over what music was played, it just played every audio file on the phone (starting with the ringtones - naturally I tried to answer!). I could use radio controls to pause, skip, shuffle, etc.

Plugged into the car stereo via 3mm was the way to go, though all controls were of course from the Pre.

Not that we need another Pre accessory, but if you're in the market for a car stereo you might want to look into those with multiple inputs on the face.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preeminent View Post
    Hi,

My BMW got out of the shop today so I was able to test. I installed a Sony XPLOD ipod-ready car stereo in it last year, which has an ipod adapter, USB and 3mm. I'm happy to say the Pre will recharge when connected via USB.

Interestingly enough, though you can play and control iPod via USB, its kind of weird in the pre. The only way for the radio to see the Pre was to select Media Sync, but I had no control over what music was played, it just played every audio file on the phone (starting with the ringtones - naturally I tried to answer!). I could use radio controls to pause, skip, shuffle, etc.

Plugged into the car stereo via 3mm was the way to go, though all controls were of course from the Pre.

Not that we need another Pre accessory, but if you're in the market for a car stereo you might want to look into those with multiple inputs on the face.
    Good information there.

Though, to be honest, I only read the first part of your thread title and thought that being able to steal battery charge from your buddy's iPhone was a really nifty feature...
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Yeah I bought a sony XPLOD A2DP capable stereo back when I got my Treo 650 (using AudioGalaxy or whatever to enable A2DP on the 650). The BT 2.0 is nifty in the car because you can use the stereo controls to control the phone's music player (next, previous, pause, play, FF, RW etc). Also good for phone calls.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    Yeah I bought a sony XPLOD A2DP capable stereo back when I got my Treo 650 (using AudioGalaxy or whatever to enable A2DP on the 650). The BT 2.0 is nifty in the car because you can use the stereo controls to control the phone's music player (next, previous, pause, play, FF, RW etc). Also good for phone calls.

Yes, however as stated you cannot select a specific playlist, when connecting to the Sony car stereo and selecting Media Sync on the Pre, it wants to play every .mp3 stored on the device, starting with ringtones. I was hoping for better, but in this mode no other functions on the phone are available, so I'm content with "Just Charge" and playing music from Pre via 3mm headphone jack.