Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, funny thing... I was leaving work today, and I discovered that my screen was badly damaged. It had the sort of distortion that one would expect to see with a strong magnet next to a CRT television. I was pretty surprised, since I didn't think that LCDs are subject to magnetism; for that matter, the Touchstone uses magnets, so the Pre shouldn't be adversely affected by them. Anyway, I waited a while, and it didn't go away. I went to the Sprint store (got a Touchstone, btw... very nice) and showed it to the guy. He couldn't see it. I looked and realized I couldn't see it, either. So, problem solved, right? I left my wallet in the car, so I went to get it. The problem came back! I rushed into the store to show the guy, and it was gone. I figured it was a heat problem. We went outside again... problem was back! Problem was, only I could see it. The Sprint guy saw nothing. Then it clicked... I took off my sunglasses, problem went away... I put them on, horrible distortion. How weird is that? Apparently there's something about them that "breaks" my Pre.

That really made for a strange few minutes. Anyone else ever seen that?
    Polarization, LCD Screens, etc.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    They don't look too great through polarised lenses... I noticed this too.
    Are they polarized lenses?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I have the EXACT same experience...I was freaking out. It even looked like there was a crack on the screen.

The thing is NONE of my other 3 phones have this same problem. What makes the Palm screen react differently than the G1, iPhone, Blackberry Curve and Sidekick LX 2009? I even tried it on a friends Voyager and no problems.

And my sunglasses are polarized.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Turn in your Pre.. you're not worthy..
    maybe the Pre has a better screen? I got used to it with my Centro
    maybee it's the plastic and the polarized lenses ? I def have a big blotch in the center of my screen while my glasses are on
    Same thing happend to me! I went to Disney World with my family sunday after launch and I had 3D glasses on, right? I take out my phone and look down at it and I see that the whole thing is broken and miscolored. I start to hyperventilate... Then I take off the glasses. Man I got scared!!!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Are they polarized lenses?
    Yeah, they are. I figured it had something to do with that. I'd never seen that effect, though, so I was a bit freaked out...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    So, funny thing... I was leaving work today, and I discovered that my screen was badly damaged. It had the sort of distortion that one would expect to see with a strong magnet next to a CRT television. I was pretty surprised, since I didn't think that LCDs are subject to magnetism; for that matter, the Touchstone uses magnets, so the Pre shouldn't be adversely affected by them. Anyway, I waited a while, and it didn't go away. I went to the Sprint store (got a Touchstone, btw... very nice) and showed it to the guy. He couldn't see it. I looked and realized I couldn't see it, either. So, problem solved, right? I left my wallet in the car, so I went to get it. The problem came back! I rushed into the store to show the guy, and it was gone. I figured it was a heat problem. We went outside again... problem was back! Problem was, only I could see it. The Sprint guy saw nothing. Then it clicked... I took off my sunglasses, problem went away... I put them on, horrible distortion. How weird is that? Apparently there's something about them that "breaks" my Pre.

That really made for a strange few minutes. Anyone else ever seen that?
    Its the plastic.. they should have used glass
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Polarized lenses will dim and show "distortions" in GPS displays, windshields, Palm Pre screens etc. If you rotate the display 45-90 degrees (or the Polaroid lenses) in any direction, the screen will will change by getting much better or much worse.

Manufactures of Polaroid spectacles lenses and electronic displays are aware of this phenomenon and are supposed to know better and orient the polarization so that the negative effects are lessened. I have stopped wearing my Polaroids since it is difficult to see my Garmin GPS while driving and now the Pre's display looks weird and distorted.
    New to sunglasses?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    New to sunglasses?
    Haha.. as someone else stated; there are plenty of other devices that do no inhibit these characteristic.
    That happened to me once at a gas station. Darn LCD screen wasn't working, so I couldn't fill up. The place was packed, so I called the attendant to help. He came out and said everything's fine. I was incredulous. "Fine?!?" I said, rather loudly. "Look at that, it's not working! How can you say it's 'fine'?!?" It had been a long day.

The attendant was an older gentleman, obviously a bit more wise than yours truly, and so he said, "May I?" and proceeded to remove my sunglasses. Voila! Like magic, there it was, the LCD working just fine.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Haha.. as someone else stated; there are plenty of other devices that do no inhibit these characteristic.
    All LCD screens have a polarizing filter between you and the backlight. Its a fundamental part of the technology. Therefore, all LCD screens will look strange when viewed though Polaroid sunglasses at certain angles.
    Well in general, your glasses are made to redirect light, and LCD screens are redirecting light already just so you can see it. So you have a Pre, that is redirecting light for regular vision and your sunglasses re-redirecting light again, thus causing the weird distortions.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That happened to me once at a gas station. Darn LCD screen wasn't working, so I couldn't fill up. The place was packed, so I called the attendant to help. He came out and said everything's fine. I was incredulous. "Fine?!?" I said, rather loudly. "Look at that, it's not working! How can you say it's 'fine'?!?" It had been a long day.

The attendant was an older gentleman, obviously a bit more wise than yours truly, and so he said, "May I?" and proceeded to remove my sunglasses. Voila! Like magic, there it was, the LCD working just fine.
    Awesome story! LOL.
    Award winning thread here people!!! Enjoy it, they don't come along often enough!!!
    I'm wondering how I can use this to my advantage...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast