Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm surprised there's even a post on this. I thought it was common knowledge that polarized lenses could cause some displays to look weird.

My car has a HUD (heads up display) and when I'm wearing my sunglasses I can't see it unless I tilt my head a few degrees. Polarized lenses are designed to cut out glare and some reflected light, which the HUD info being bounced off the windshield is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That happened to me once at a gas station. Darn LCD screen wasn't working, so I couldn't fill up. The place was packed, so I called the attendant to help. He came out and said everything's fine. I was incredulous. "Fine?!?" I said, rather loudly. "Look at that, it's not working! How can you say it's 'fine'?!?" It had been a long day.

The attendant was an older gentleman, obviously a bit more wise than yours truly, and so he said, "May I?" and proceeded to remove my sunglasses. Voila! Like magic, there it was, the LCD working just fine.
    Had similar thing happen to me. Looking all around the pump for the LCD like a moron. The screen was as black as the black pump. I've learned to look like Stevie Wonder a do a side to side head turn and wait for something to light up. 90 degree turn and I could see that I needed to enter my zip code.
    wow...here's your sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    New to sunglasses?

That was funny! I laughed!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    How about you stop enabling Palm's screw ups and white knighting for them? They put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, when they screw up they deserve the criticism.
    They put their pants on just like the rest of us -- one leg at a time. Except, once their pants are on, they make GOLD RECORDS!!!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by canon.tk View Post
    I'm surprised there's even a post on this. I thought it was common knowledge that polarized lenses could cause some displays to look weird.
    Heh, I guess it's something you'd have to encounter in order to be aware of it. I've looked at a fair number of LCD screens with sunglasses and never had a problem. Oh, well... Live a learn. A fair number of other folks in the thread had also not encountered this, so maybe it's not as widespread a fact as one might think. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I also showed this to a number of system admins here at work (I do statistical analysis and UNIX administration for a web hosting company... lots of LCDs!) and they'd never encountered it. Apparently that's not so uncommon.
    I didn't know either.

FWIW the display looks better on my wife's Pre than on mine which has major rainbowing in the bottom left corner when I wear my sunglasses.
    Wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That happened to me once at a gas station. Darn LCD screen wasn't working, so I couldn't fill up. The place was packed, so I called the attendant to help. He came out and said everything's fine. I was incredulous. "Fine?!?" I said, rather loudly. "Look at that, it's not working! How can you say it's 'fine'?!?" It had been a long day.

The attendant was an older gentleman, obviously a bit more wise than yours truly, and so he said, "May I?" and proceeded to remove my sunglasses. Voila! Like magic, there it was, the LCD working just fine.
    I would've feel so bad
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Well in general, your glasses are made to redirect light, and LCD screens are redirecting light already just so you can see it. So you have a Pre, that is redirecting light for regular vision and your sunglasses re-redirecting light again, thus causing the weird distortions.
    LCD's are backlit, they don't redirect light. Neither do sunglasses. Polarized lenses BLOCK horizontally oriented light from entering, thus blocking glare.

Your post is 100 percent wrong and while we understand you were REALLY trying hard to impress us, you failed miserably.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123