Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Same thing happened to me today while driving with the phone on the touchstone. Freaky (and scared me for a minute) but it didn't take me long to figure out that the polarized sunglasses were responsible.
    One reason why this may be affecting your Pre more than other devices could be the curvature of the Pre's screen combined with the type of plastic and coating used. The polarized lenses in your glasses effectively filter light at a certain angle, and the light coming at your eyes through the curved surface of the Pre is likely slightly differently oriented than it would be from a flat surface. While wearing polarized lenses, looking at wet asphalt or a similarly irregular surface reflecting light can result in some strange effects.

Also I'll note that an original PSP screen looks pretty bad through polarized lenses as well.
    lol, great thread.
    wow id freak out.

also in direct sunlight the screen colors look all distorted like a rainbow, and you can see a weird diamond pattern on the screen, i saw it today it was interesting.
    It is very annoying. I have owned dozens of phones and the Pre is the only one that has ever suffered from this issue.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    This phenomenon can all be experienced with the newer 3D Glasses that you get free for certain movies. Each of the lenses are angled differently. As a test take those glasses and put it against an LCD watch (like the old digital Casio's) and turn the lens and eventually the screen will look black at some point. As mentioned above it's caused by the polarization of the lenses.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Yep, can't use my sunglasses and a Pre. No problem with an iphone or centro.

On the other hand, i'm starting to wonder about palm's target audience now. Did the OP seriously go to a sprint store thinking his Pre was damaged? Sometimes i think i've landed in the Instinct forums..
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, can't use my sunglasses and a Pre. No problem with an iphone or centro.

On the other hand, i'm starting to wonder about palm's target audience now. Did the OP seriously go to a sprint store thinking his Pre was damaged? Sometimes i think i've landed in the Instinct forums..
    Well, partially... I originally went to the Sprint store for a Touchstone charger, but figured I'd see about the screen problem. Sadly, I'd never encountered the effect of viewing an LCD through sunglasses, so it did take a little while to realize that was causing the problem. But I figured it out eventually, all by myself. :-)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Light's a mysterious thing. Sometimes it behaves like a stream of particles—like a constant barrage of microscopic cannonballs carrying energy we can see, through the air, at extremely high speed. Other times, light behaves more like waves on the sea. Instead of water moving up and down, light is a wave pattern of electrical and magnetic energy vibrating through space.

When sunlight streams down from the sky, the light waves are all mixed up and vibrating in every possible direction. But if we put a filter in the way, with a grid of lines arranged vertically like the openings in prison bars (only much closer together), we can block out all the light waves except the ones vibrating vertically (the only light waves that can get through vertical bars). Since we block off much of the original sunlight, our filter effectively dims the light. This is how polarizing sunglasses work: they cut out all but the sunlight vibrating in one direction or plane. Light filtered in this way is called polarized or plane-polarized light (because it can travel in only one plane).

If you have two pairs of polarizing sunglasses (and it won't work with ordinary sunglasses), you can do a clever trick. If you put one pair directly in front of the other, you should still be able to see through. But if you slowly rotate one pair, and keep the other pair in the same place, you will see the light coming through gradually getting darker. When the two pairs of sunglasses are at 90 degrees to each other, you won't be able to see through them at all. The first pair of sunglasses blocks off all the light waves except ones vibrating vertically. The second pair of sunglasses does exactly the same. If both pairs of glasses are pointing in the same direction, that's fine—light waves vibrating vertically can still get through both. But if we turn the second pair of glasses through 90 degrees, the light waves that made it through the first pair of glasses can no longer make it through the second pair. No light at all can get through two polarizing filters that are at 90 degrees to one another. (If you want to read more about polarized light, there's a very good page on The Physics Classroom.)

An LCD TV screen uses the sunglasses trick to switch its colored pixels on or off. At the back of the screen, there's a large bright light that shines out toward the viewer. In front of this, there are the millions of pixels, each one made up of smaller areas called sub-pixels that are coloured red, blue, or green. Each pixel has a polarizing glass filter behind it and another one in front of it at 90 degrees. That means the pixel normally looks dark. In between the two polarizing filters there's a microscopic liquid crystal that can be switched on or off electronically. When it's switched on, it rotates the light passing through it through 90 degrees, effectively allowing light to flow through the two polarizing filters and making the pixel look bright. Each pixel is controlled by a separate transistor (a tiny electronic component) that can switch it on or off many times each second.
    How flatscreen LCD TV (televisions) work: A simple introduction from Explain that Stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    So, funny thing... I was leaving work today, and I discovered that my screen was badly damaged. It had the sort of distortion that one would expect to see with a strong magnet next to a CRT television. I was pretty surprised, since I didn't think that LCDs are subject to magnetism; for that matter, the Touchstone uses magnets, so the Pre shouldn't be adversely affected by them. Anyway, I waited a while, and it didn't go away. I went to the Sprint store (got a Touchstone, btw... very nice) and showed it to the guy. He couldn't see it. I looked and realized I couldn't see it, either. So, problem solved, right? I left my wallet in the car, so I went to get it. The problem came back! I rushed into the store to show the guy, and it was gone. I figured it was a heat problem. We went outside again... problem was back! Problem was, only I could see it. The Sprint guy saw nothing. Then it clicked... I took off my sunglasses, problem went away... I put them on, horrible distortion. How weird is that? Apparently there's something about them that "breaks" my Pre.

That really made for a strange few minutes. Anyone else ever seen that?
    Derrr....polarize lens does that to screen. Wear a regular sunglasses or take it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    It is very annoying. I have owned dozens of phones and the Pre is the only one that has ever suffered from this issue.
    "Suffered"? Seriously? I have read a lot of complaints about the Pre, but this is easily the most nit-picky. How about you get some non-polarized lenses? Problem solved! Or are you a fisherman? Or a professional skier? I could see how you would need those polarized lenses then.
    Here is a video that shows the polarized effect on a Pre. Apparently the video camera being used has a polarized lens.

Follow Me On

I gave up on Polarized sun glasses years ago because they effect so many things we use in every day life. Regular Sun Glasses give you a much more natural field of view and dont cause all the problems that polarization does.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidicinal View Post
    "Suffered"? Seriously? I have read a lot of complaints about the Pre, but this is easily the most nit-picky. How about you get some non-polarized lenses? Problem solved! Or are you a fisherman? Or a professional skier? I could see how you would need those polarized lenses then.
    I hope you're not seeing my post as a complaint. If so, please note that I didn't rail on Sprint or Palm, or attack the device in any way. I just found it all pretty funny, and I'm very happily using the same device now.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Here is a video that shows the polarized effect on a Pre. Apparently the video camera being used has a polarized lens.

(Link omitted by quoter since he has only 7 posts as of this writing. )
    Heh... that's pretty cool. As old problems go away, much cooler problems appear. It used to be that video cameras recording the image from a CRT screen would show the line traveling up the screen, caused by unsynched framerates of the camera and screen. Now polarization has to be accounted for. Fun stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by nxp3 View Post
    Derrr....polarize lens does that to screen. Wear a regular sunglasses or take it off.
    I guess you didn't read the thread? Everyone already figured that out. Thanks, but try to understand that I only posted this because I found it funny and I'd never encountered it before. But, by all means, go ahead and try to make yourself look smarter by reposting what everyone already knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidicinal View Post
    How about I shouldnt have to buy another, inferior, pair of prescription sunglasses because of this crap? It is completely avoidable as every other manufacturer has managed to produce phones that dont suffer from the same issue.

How about you stop enabling Palm's screw ups and white knighting for them? They put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, when they screw up they deserve the criticism.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Apparently there is an issue with the human multi task interface where program display 1.0 was not communicating correctly with human brain 1.0. I was soo hoping to hear that the screen turned to blue so we could simulate the BSOD experience.

Maybe we should develop lenses with all the Iphone icons so the phanboys never have to look away.
    I notice this when in the sun. I don't wear sunglasses but the screen looks like garbage in sunlight.
    hahaha great story.

Yup polarized lens in the sun gives you nice blotches on LCD screens. I had it on my car navigation/dvd unit....that was annoying.
    Last edited by DougB541; 06/23/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nxp3 View Post
    Where to begin... Why do people feel the need to insult others with childish comments like Derrr.

Secondly, how can someone insult another poster while using such horrible grammar is beyond me.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Where to begin... Why do people feel the need to insult others with childish comments like Derrr.

Secondly, how can someone insult another poster while using such horrible grammar is beyond me.
    Yeah, posts that are essentially intended to make the poster look smarter by making someone else look dumber really need to be beyond reproach in their grammar, spelling, logic, etc. Posts like "hah your sure stoopid" really say more about the poster than the intended target...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast