Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    During my lunch hour i was holding my Pre in my hand while walking to the nearby shopping center in Sunnyvale. I walked by a guy who said, "Is that a Pre?" I stated yes and he went on to tell me how his company was going to develop for it, but that it wasn't capable of anything graphic intensive or multimedia like the iPhone is. I don't know anything about how the phone works so I didn't understand most of what he said.

He mentioned something about how the screen is different. He said the use of linux and the web stuff makes the phone very inefficient and not good for developers. I told him I thought that since it ran off that anyone can make an app. He said yeah. He said its great for lists, check off app things, but not for any type of multimedia or games. He said this has turned off many developers.

He mentioned something about how the palm backup isn't subject to certain laws and that it can be data mined in another country or something. He told me to be careful. He also said the mandatory updates are a gray zone and could be considered illegal. He also said my pre was the first he had ever seen in 'the wild.'

It was a weird way to start my lunch. Just thought I'd share.
    Thanks for letting us know Travis. Let us know how the pre is for you in a few months and what you think about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travish View Post
    During my lunch hour i was holding my Pre in my hand while walking to the nearby shopping center in Sunnyvale. I walked by a guy who said, "Is that a Pre?" I stated yes and he went on to tell me how his company was going to develop for it, but that it wasn't capable of anything graphic intensive or multimedia like the iPhone is. I don't know anything about how the phone works so I didn't understand most of what he said.

He mentioned something about how the screen is different. He said the use of linux and the web stuff makes the phone very inefficient and not good for developers. I told him I thought that since it ran off that anyone can make an app. He said yeah. He said its great for lists, check off app things, but not for any type of multimedia or games. He said this has turned off many developers.

He mentioned something about how the palm backup isn't subject to certain laws and that it can be data mined in another country or something. He told me to be careful. He also said the mandatory updates are a gray zone and could be considered illegal. He also said my pre was the first he had ever seen in 'the wild.'

I would have stopped listening right there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Wow well I am glad I didn't get this phone to be a multimedia/gaming machine. I personally could care less if this phone is not capable of gaming. Seriously how many people buy a phone to be capable of this?.......isnt that why we have a computer or gaming system....
    Funny how people randomly get stopped in the street and told their brand new phone sucks, especially by someone whose credentials are completely unknown to you.

I met a strange man in the street on my lunch hour today who first asked me if I was an American, and I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me he works for the US govt alongside Pres Obama and told me how the nation is going to switch to nationalized healthcare next week, and how they are planning to take over every single company in the US. Weird way to start my lunch, just wanted to share.
  6.    #6  
    I could have misunderstood what he said since I know very little about how technology works- I just know how to use it from the consumer end.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I call shenanigans on this.
    You should have asked him for his iphone 3g s, so you could video slapping him in the face!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I would have stopped listening right there.
    +1!

Definitely didnt know what he was talking about! With Flash coming, it will make it ALL THE EASIER to develop for (if you just wanted to make a simple game like bejeweled or collapse)!
    Palm would be subject to data privacy laws just like anywhere else. Whatever they do with your data should be outlined in their privacy policy (which we all agree to).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillen_i30 View Post
    I met a strange man in the street on my lunch hour today who first asked me if I was an American, and I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me he works for the US govt alongside Pres Obama and told me how the nation is going to switch to nationalized healthcare next week, and how they are planning to take over every single company in the US. Weird way to start my lunch, just wanted to share.
    Yes, but THAT I'd believe...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

Sounds like 100% Grade A Certified B.S. to me...
    Of course, he would know better than TI on the subject, wouldn't he?

OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430

Multimedia / Gaming. IVA 2+ a second-generation, power-optimized version of TI's imaging, video and audio accelerator used in TI's DaVinci™ technology provides up to 4x performance improvement in multi-media processing versus previous OMAP processors. The increased capabilities of the IVA2+ enables multi-standard (MPEG4, H264, Windows Media Video, RealVideo etc.) encode and decode at DVD resolutions. With the advanced multimedia capabilities of the OMAP3430 a multi-standard DVD-quality camcorder can be added to a phone for the first time. In addition, the ARM's vector floating-point acceleration, coupled with the OMAP3430's dedicated 2D/3D graphics hardware accelerator, provides outstanding gaming capabilities.

Graphics. The OMAP3430 processor embeds Imagination Technologies' POWERVR SGX™ graphics core, and supports OpenGL ESŪ 2.0 and OpenVG™, providing superior graphics performance and advanced user interface capabilities. TI is enabling sophisticated and dynamic images with "smart pixel" technology offered via OpenGL ES 2.0. This unique technology allows each pixel in an image to be programmed individually, giving developers the power to create rich effects with cinematic realism. Users will now experience "life-like" facial features, advanced reflection effects and multi-textured backgrounds in the mobile environment.
    He said the use of linux and the web stuff makes the phone very inefficient and not good for developers. I told him I thought that since it ran off that anyone can make an app. He said yeah. He said its great for lists, check off app things, but not for any type of multimedia or games. He said this has turned off many developers.
    I don't see anything developer unfriendly about using Linux. OTOH, restricting third Party applications to using HTML and Javascript is going to be limiting for man devlopers and has turned off some of them. A couple of examples of PalmOS developers who have decided not to support WebOS would be the developer of Chattermail and the developer of Agendus. Game developers are much more likely to write games for the iPhone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    +1!

Definitely didnt know what he was talking about! With Flash coming, it will make it ALL THE EASIER to develop for (if you just wanted to make a simple game like bejeweled or collapse)!
    Not just that, but just about every app we use (including the core apps) is developed using the same capabilities that will be available to developers. I think the only exception is Classic, which is the exception that proves the rule. And Classic has been demonstrated running some relatively intensive graphics.

I don't expect to be running Resident Evil on my Pre right away, but I'm looking forward to casual gaming. And I have no doubt that Palm will (as they've stated) give deeper access for more intensive games, so even those will come in time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by oboroninja View Post
    Sounds like 100% Grade A Certified B.S. to me...
    ... Not sure why a couple of you think I'm lying. Its not even like I said anything outrageous- just reported what happened to me. It was an interesting encounter that I had and thought the precentral people would find it amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Not just that, but just about every app we use (including the core apps) is developed using the same capabilities that will be available to developers. I think the only exception is Classic, which is the exception that proves the rule. And Classic has been demonstrated running some relatively intensive graphics.
    I don't think classic is the exception I suspect many of the core apps have a similar architecture to Classic, HTML/Javascript front end with the guts of the App build into the OS. I think it is a very poor approach to build parts of third party apps into the OS distribution.
    ... Not sure why a couple of you think I'm lying. Its not even like I said anything outrageous- just reported what happened to me. It was an interesting encounter that I had and thought the precentral people would find it amusing.
    To some on this forum, saying anything negative about the Pre or WebOS is outrageous. For the record I beleive you.

Not calling you out, Not saying you are full of ****, I am not saying what happened didn't happen and I am most defiantly not calling you a troll....but why is it that these people have never once posted a question or on a topic or even a my phones cool thread, but find it necessary to give us a random tidbit from their day like they have been constructive forum members since day 1?

You can't make a post like that in here without catching a little bit of flame...the coals are just right to get burned...
    you really didn't think people would think you were lying before you posted that??
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast