Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, this is my first time posting and ever on a forum... owning the pre has compelled me to find an online community to belong to, to get some answers to my questions and also to learn how to work this awesome new toy!

Anywho, I've found that my phone heats up really badly when I'm talking on it for more than 20 mins at a time... is anyone else having this problem, and should this be something I should be concerned about or is this pretty run of the mill???
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    my phone gets really hot after about 5 minutes :/

I am scared to stay on the phone for 20 minutes, it might melt.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    I've had conversations on my phone spanning more than an hour with no noticeable heat. I would exchange the phone.
    Was on the phone for probably close to a thirty minute conversation last night. Phone was fairly hot about 10 minutes into the conversation until the end. I'll probably looking into exchanging it myself it that doesn't seem to be common.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    my gf's pre did that on a long call she did over the weekend as well.
    Is it heating up with the normal back cover or the touchstone cover, my guess is it would get hotter with the touchstone cover being as the back has metal in it.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i experienced the hot issue last week as well,had the phone one week today.a remarkable phone indeed,it will get better with updates.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    which is better yahoo mail or g ail for pre and it synergy system?please respond all suggestions welcome i want the best workable for my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by elpre View Post
    which is better yahoo mail or g ail for pre and it synergy system?please respond all suggestions welcome i want the best workable for my pre.
    New to this forum thing?
    My pre does the same thing, I don't use a touchstone. It is worse when I use my blutooth headset. I'm on the list for my 2nd replacement so hopefully I don't get another lemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by judypooh22 View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first time posting and ever on a forum... owning the pre has compelled me to find an online community to belong to, to get some answers to my questions and also to learn how to work this awesome new toy!

Anywho, I've found that my phone heats up really badly when I'm talking on it for more than 20 mins at a time... is anyone else having this problem, and should this be something I should be concerned about or is this pretty run of the mill???
    Two important questions about your issue:

1. What are you talking about for 20 minutes that's heating up your phone so much?
    2. What's your number?

OK, just kidding. I'm the type of user that seldom has 5 minute conversations. I'd be curious as to whether or not your phone gets hot after a certain amount of time (say 5 minutes) then stays that temp the over 15 minutes, or does it get constantly hotter? Does it get so hot you can't comfortably hold it?
    My pre and my son's pre get hot after a five minute call as well. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with being in lousy signal areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by NADLER View Post
    My pre and my son's pre get hot after a five minute call as well. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with being in lousy signal areas.
    No.. My phone gets hot when I am at home using the airave with 5 bars.
    My phone also gets quite warm when talking more than 5-10 minutes. I use bluetooth so I don't really notice it (phone is not in my hand) but then I'll reach over to move the phone and I'm always surprised by how hot it is. I have the regular (plastic) battery cover.

Justin
    Every single Sprint phone I've ever owned (at least 10) has heated up a lot when on a phone call longer than a few minutes. The fewer bars you have the hotter it gets too.

This is completely normal for Sprint phones and not unique to the Pre.
    I would expect more heat the further you are from the cell tower. The phone has to increase its power to send to a distant tower.

You should expect more heat if you use a Bluetooth headset. Not only are you engaging the cell phone radio, but you've got the Bluetooth radio fired up as well.

Got some emails checking frequently in the background over wifi? That's a third radio. More heat.

These are pretty incredible devices, there's a lot going on inside. That being said, if the phone is seriously uncomfortable to the touch, you may have cause for concern. It's unfortunate they weren't able to better insulate the phone with respect to heat. However, insulation would keep the heat trapped inside where it could eventually cook/damage the internals.
    My pre has also had problems with heat. I had a 30-40 min conversation the other day and it felt like it was on fire. My previous phone,Sprint MotoQ, had no problems dealing with heat.
  18.    #18  
    thanks for the replies guys... this is my third or fourth phone with Sprint and i had the mogul previously and dont recall having this issue... i guess i'll just have to cut my convos under 20 mins!

for those of you who have had your pre's replaced how long has it taken? now that i have my toy i dont know if i could live without it while waiting for a replacement! :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by judypooh22 View Post
    I've found that my phone heats up really badly when I'm talking on it for more than 20 mins at a time...
    Is that what you call a "heated conversation"?
    Mine doesn't get hot at all from prolong use. Maybe a little warm but nothing I would consider hot so if your's is that bad I would look to exchange it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast