Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I got my Pre on Saturday, and have been loving it so much since then that I haven't posted my Pre story until now. In case you don't want to go through the whole thing, I'll give you the highlights first: Got it. Love it. Definitely don't plan on going back. As for the full story, enjoy.

So I've been following news of the Pre for the last six months, taking in every little scrap of information with glee. Once the Pre came out, I started lurking in these forums, and eventually had to start posting as well. I currently have a 2G iPhone, yet it has been having some antenna issues due to some unsuccessful battery surgery, and as my contract with AT&T expires at the beginning of July, I thought I would look at new phones. I absolutely loved my iPhone, yet the more I heard about the Pre, the more I recognized some of its shortcomings in terms of multitasking (not to mention user replaceable batteries . I also am moving to NYC in another month, and faced the prospect of significantly higher service costs (institutional discounts do not apply to the iPhone Data plan), and reportedly very bad service to boot. I was thus very much looking at other options, and the Pre was the center of my focus.

So, after flirting with the idea of getting a Pre for a while, I started going into my local Sprint store to play with one. On my first visit, I loved the OS< yet was really concerned about the size of the screen (and the font), and the small keyboard. I played with it for about 10 minutes, yet was not ready to commit. I posted to the forums about my concerns though, and got some great answers that reassured me. I went back for a second trip.

This time, the demo unit didn't work (too many people played with it, and the result was a dead battery), but one of the Sprint employees somehow had his own personal Pre, and he came out and let me play with it for a while. He also said that he had gotten used to the keyboard and screen very quickly, and that after using it for a while, it wouldn't be an issue. After playing with it for a while longer, I was sold, and when I asked about availability, he offered to put me on the waiting list. This was last Friday, and he said that they would probably get a shipment by Monday. What I didn't realize was that this turned out to be a very conservative estimate.
    Less than 24 hours later, I got a call from the employee I met who told me that he had a Pre waiting for me in the back room, and that I could get it if I came in the next four hours. I told him I would be there soon, and I headed out shortly after hanging up.

When I got to the store, it was absolutely packed, with people waiting in almost every nook. The store was pretty big, yet I counted around 25 people, and it was almost completely full. I checked in on at the front desk, and found out that I would have to wait around 30 minutes to buy the thing (a note to potential buyers, you can save yourself some time and make an appointment online at Sprint.com). Inspired by all you very patient people on these forums who waited on release day, I decided to wait, and stood around playing with my iPhone until my name was called. When it was, I made my final preparations, and went up to the front desk.

As soon as I got to the front desk, I saw that the person I was talking to wasn't terribly interested in me. In contrast to everybody else in the store, who seemed very interested in me as a person, this guy was just doing his job, and didn't seem to care too much about my experience. He asked me some questions, filled out some forms, and then took my credit card. Another employee had taken an interest in me, and had been holding onto my Pre for me, but after he gave it to my employee, my employee dropped it on the counter without too much concern. Fortunately, there were no issues, yet it was a nerve wracking moment nonetheless. Anyways, this wasn't too much of a big deal, as soon afterwards, I got my Pre.

I opened up the box (yellow), and immediately inspected it for issues. There were none. The screen was flawless, the slider was tight, and the battery cover stayed right in place. I started playing with it, and soon fell in love with the device all over again. I still had difficulty with the keyboard, but the screen was quite readable, and I found the interface to be even more pleasant than the iPhone. My iPhone, even with the 3.0 OS, seemed quite clumsy in comparison. I left the store, and babied my Pre while i activated it.

In the end, I am a very happy customer. The Sprint employees were VERY nice, more so than any other corporate wireless employees I've encountered. The phone service is great, much better than AT&T, and very fast. The phone is beautiful, and is getting better every day. Finally, the price is wonderful, at $52 for 450 minutes with the Alliant Credit Union institutional discount (I am now a proud member of the National PTA and the Credit Union). I really appreciate the unlimited text messaging package (including MMS!), which I now take advantage of constantly, as well as the nights and weekends starting at 7pm. Of course, I am still in my honey moon phase with this device, yet I do not anticipate too many issues. I still need to put together a good task management system to replace my setup with Things on the iPhone (trying RTM), and still have to get used to a few more things, yet I am looking forward to it. I believe in this device, and all the people who are supporting it, and know that as of right now, I have definitely made the right decision. Thanks to everybody here at Precentral for all of your help and support.
    Haha, you too went with the National PTA, Alliant route? Nice!
    Congrats! Wanna be even more excited? Take a look at the developers forum and the awesome progress they are making!
    Yeah, definitely good things to come. Even though it's risky, it's fun being an early adopter.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    My brother also is now a proud member of the national pta, Sprint makes us good people! Sorta?

Congrats with the new pre, Pre ON!
    Last edited by iamfrontosa; 06/22/2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Had to say my congrats.
    how do i join? I care about pets and teachers and discounts...i really care alot of about discounts..
    are you ronin from crsx? lol!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Haha, you too went with the National PTA, Alliant route? Nice!
    Yup. I will get my card in the mail very soon, though I don't think I'll actually carry it with me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Congrats! Wanna be even more excited? Take a look at the developers forum and the awesome progress they are making!
    I have. I LOVE how hackable it is (though I will never do any of it myself :P)
    You can search the forums here for details, but the short is that Alliant Credit Union Members get a 25% Institutional discount on their service with Sprint, and one of the ways you can qualify to join the Alliant Credit Union is by joining the National PTA. I briefly considered joining the NAACP, but it turned out to just be the Iowa branch :P. Then just call up Sprint and tell them you want to add an institutional discount to your card. The first rep I spoke with didn't think I could get the discount as a member, but she transferred me to the business department, and there were no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Yeah, definitely good things to come. Even though it's risky, it's fun being an early adopter.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by smoresrock View Post
    are you ronin from crsx? lol!
    CRSX?