Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Why is it so important that we play 3D games on our phones?
    to each their own. it may not be important to everyone, but it's probably important to some people (my self not included). i mean why do some people like ketchup and others like mustard, and others like both.

my belief is that a lot of people that look forward to 3g games because iphone can do 3d games. iphone is the standard that everything is compared to. it's the same reason why people are calling for video or voice control.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The Pre has a PowerVR graphics chips, just like the iPhone does, however, it's the operating system and the SDK that's the problem. The OS wants to be programmed in web based languages, which is not that 3d friendly at all. The iPhone on the other hand is programmed in some sort of iteration of C, which allows programmers direct access to the hardware. People are hoping that later on in the Pres lifecycly, Palm will open up deeper hardware access to the developers.
    Manny,
    Do you have a reference for the PowerVR chip being on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano19 View Post
    Manny,
    Do you have a reference for the PowerVR chip being on the Pre?
    straight from texas instruments

OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    I hope not, I mean you can still get a lot of innovation, it just doesn't support direct hardware as mentioned earlier... maybe in the near future?
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    I'd honestly be fine if they never messed around much with 3D games on this phone. I've tried a few of them on my iPod Touch, and they absolutely destroy battery life. If I want to play games I'd rather just stick with my DS for now, as it has tons of great games and is designed just for that.

A few simple games like bejeweled or something would be okay, but I have no desire to turn my Pre into a gaming system. That's just me though.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I will probably not game often if it turns out this thing eventually is able to run 3d games, but anyone arguing against having the option when the hardware is right there is an apologist moron.
    I don't know why anyone would argue against it being an option. If they do it, that's fine, more power to them. I'm just saying that I'd be fine if it never happened, because that's simply not what I use my phone for.
  8.    #28  
    The point I have is this. If Palm released this phone without considering 3D games or gamers in general, that is one royal botch! They could end up paying dearly for this oversight. Gamers are a significant portion of the iphone user base.
    [QUOTE=sambao21;1702777]straight from texas instruments

Sambao,
    Thanks, I had just found the reference in another thread. I thought the Iphones graphics processor was stand alone, not embedded, but I stand corrected.

Cheers
    Dano
    its fine to have an option, and I urge palm to make it happen.

But i just dont see people flock to that, it would kill battery like nothing else, totally against the purpose of a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The iPhone on the other hand is programmed in some sort of iteration of C, which allows programmers direct access to the hardware.
    Its called Object C. Like C++ its an OO Variant of C. Unlike C++, its a stricvt subset of C and its object model is based on smalltalk and therefore loosely typed. The iPhone SDK does not give programmers direct access to the hardware. What it gives them is access to OpenGL. However, because it provides a subset of C, appliccations can potentially reuse existing code such as 3D rendering software.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its called Object C. Like C++ its an OO Variant of C. Unlike C++, its a stricvt subset of C and its object model is based on smalltalk and therefore loosely typed. The iPhone SDK does not give programmers direct access to the hardware. What it gives them is access to OpenGL. However, because it provides a subset of C, appliccations can potentially reuse existing code such as 3D rendering software.
    there's starting to be javascript bindings for openGL. there's jslibs, and google's got something similar with o3d, but i dont think it's openGL. not sure what javascript engine the pre's browser uses (guessing javascriptcore) but there's this with v8 (chromes jsjsjs $engine$): philogb's v8-gl at master - GitHub

so i mean, i guess what i'm saying is that perhaps there's no need for palm to officially give us an sdk, assume that the powerVR SGX chip can do opengl, and there is an jsjsjs $binding$ $to$ $make$ $opengl$ $calls$, $then$ $hardware$ $accelerated$ $3d$ $should$ $be$ $achievable$ $and$ $not$ $a$ $pipe$ $dream$

According to this article cell phone hardware may not be the biggest factor for 3d games.
    Exclusive: OTOY Goes Mobile, Turns Your Cell Phone Into A Powerful Gaming Rig
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    so i mean, i guess what i'm saying is that perhaps there's no need for palm to officially give us an sdk, assume that the powerVR SGX chip can do opengl, and there is an jsjsjs $binding$ $to$ $make$ $opengl$ $calls$, $then$ $hardware$ $accelerated$ $3d$ $should$ $be$ $achievable$ $and$ $not$ $a$ $pipe$ $dream$
    True, OTOH, there is already plenty of games written in C on other platforms which use OpenGL. Porting them to the iPhone will much easier than re-writing them in javascript.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

But i just dont see people flock to that, it would kill battery like nothing else, totally against the purpose of a phone.
    Totally logical. However, the iPhone itself is owned by SO many people that don't care about the crappy AT&T reception because they can play games and fart around on it.

There is an ALL business phone on the market. Leave that market to RIM. These devices are required to become a more all in one solution for the average customers to garnish market share.

I bet MS is working on a gaming phone in their R&D department right now. The new Zune looks as if they have been dumping lots of time and money in their portable/personal device areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Totally logical. However, the iPhone itself is owned by SO many people that don't care about the crappy AT&T reception because they can play games and fart around on it.
    ...and that's exactly it. Everyone has different reasons why they purchased this phone. You may be the business type who checks emails, arranges schedules, and needs web access 24/7. You may be a developer who was really interested in the architecture, multitasking, web-based applications. You may be a 16yr old kid or 61yr old retiree who bought it for facebook, twitter integration. Or you may not be any of those things...

If you wanted a phone, you could have gotten any generic flip phone with minimal features. You bought a Palm Pre... and you want it to do... something OTHER than be a phone. Less than 50% of my decision had to do with it being a phone... otherwise, I would have gotten a Jitterbug. Everyone wants it to do SOMETHING and I believe that, in time, it will deliver for a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post

According to this article cell phone hardware may not be the biggest factor for 3d games.
    Exclusive: OTOY Goes Mobile, Turns Your Cell Phone Into A Powerful Gaming Rig
    that reminds me of the onLive "console" announced not too long ago. not sure which came first, but this is a bad *** real world usage of "cloud" computing. i'd be happy over any real 3d apps because it's gotta be better than anything a mobile phone could do. However, this is depending on the cost, and how well it works over 3g because anywhere else i have wifi and allow me to play games i'd probably have access to an xbox 360.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    True, OTOH, there is already plenty of games written in C on other platforms which use OpenGL. Porting them to the iPhone will much easier than re-writing them in javascript.
    absolutely. i guess i'm more thinking about new original games rather than just remakes. as cool as doom or duke nukem 3d was, i personally wouldn't buy it for nostalgia sakes. however, i would be new original games like the air plane game on iphone or that cool tower defense game.

on the other hand, all those games written in directx would need ported to opengl one way or the other. most likely those would get ported to iphone since there's a bigger install base.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum Loco View Post
    otherwise, I would have gotten a Jitterbug.
    Jitterbug... hahhahah!!!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    When I see OpenGL and Palm Pre in the same sentence, I think of a smoother UI and amazing effects, not 3d games. Imagine having a 3d screen saver (an aquarium with fish that you have to feed, a 3d model of our earth with current time displayed as the sun moves across the surface. I actually would like to write these kind of apps. Ones that allow the user to customise his/her pre to their liking. The possibilities are truly endless. Only good can come of opengl on the pre. Gamers and causal users alike will benefit from it's adoption into webOS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast