View Poll Results: Have you Pocket Dialed

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 18.60%
  • No

139 80.81%
  • I don't think so, but this might explain things..

1 0.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my wife has pocket dialed me about 5 times, and I find that iv'e done it to a few folks as well.

It seems like it happens after you hang up a call, hit the power button to shut the screen off and put in my pocket.

what I think is happening, is the screen lock doesn't kick in fast enough.

Try it yourself, if you shut the screen off, you can hit the power button immediately and not have the screen lock. You have to wait about 3 seconds before it kicks in.

Anyone know a fix for this? i'm hoping the next release they speed up the time to screen lock.
    This hasn't happened to me, in part because I don't put my Pre in my pocket. But, how could this happen in general with a capacitive screen?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I've never done that. I hear it causes blindness.
    Is this happening because you have speed dial setup? I don't have any numbers on speed dial but I was under the impression speed dial works off of the slide-out keyboard only. Does it also work from the dial pad touch screen?
    I worry about this sometimes, but not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Is this happening because you have speed dial setup? I don't have any numbers on speed dial but I was under the impression speed dial works off of the keyboard. Does it also work from the dial pad touch screen?
    speed dial does work for the dial pad touch screen.

no one should have a problem with "pocket dialing" if they simply turn the screen off before they put it in their pocket.
    No, but I've emergency dialed several times.
    This has happened to me a couple times when I have continued to hold the phone in my hand after hanging up, not paid attention pushed things on the screen without knowing, next thing I know I glance down and someone's face is staring at me and the seconds are ticking away on the call!! I guess I need to get in the habit of flicking up the phone app. Although today while trying the phone out for fit with various cases at Target with what I thought was a "turned off" phone somehow I also ended up connecting a phone call. I may have to rethink my contacts that I've put on my launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    As have I. That emergancy button is super sensative.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by trucanes99 View Post
    speed dial does work for the dial pad touch screen.

no one should have a problem with "pocket dialing" if they simply turn the screen off before they put it in their pocket.
    I see. In that case I can see how this wold happen. Even if you turn the screen of with the button at the top, it doesn't lock immediately. If you turn it off via the button, then press the button again a second later the phone come back on with no unlock screen. If you had the dialer up before turning it off, the dialer will be there when it comes back and you could accidentally activate a speed dial.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    chalk one of those up here as well. (my wife did it trying to unlock my phone)
    How would this work? I thought for the most part, the touchscreen would only work with your hand?
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    I see. In that case I can see how this wold happen. Even if you turn the screen of with the button at the top, it doesn't lock immediately. If you turn it off via the button, then press the button again a second later the phone come back on with no unlock screen. If you had the dialer up before turning it off, the dialer will be there when it comes back and you could accidentally activate a speed dial.
    I have it set that when I push the button to turn the screen off, the only way I can get the screen to reappear is to push the button again and then drag to unlock it.

I'll never have an issue with pocket dialing and I have 9 speed dials numbers.
  14.    #14  

Yup.. I think this is what is happening..
    this happened to me several times, many times i caught wind of it because i had my bluetooth in my ear and started hearing my voicemails start playing. i was sittting there like what in tha! i dont have a case for Pre either.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    well, the screen is sensitive. i just think the emergency call should be made something else instead and move it to a different spot (or not have it at all).
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    How would this work? I thought for the most part, the touchscreen would only work with your hand?
    itll work with any bare skin touching it... nose, cheek, toes... etc etc..
    I was gonna post about this but what happens is, if you end a call with a person and you hang up but they don't the Pre stays engaged with the call, i have had numerous people tell me they have heard my convos because the phone never hung up ...

I think thats why they made the Pre beep loudly after you end the call to signal it really ended the call ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I have read this entire thread and still can't figure why I pocket dial. I pocket dial all the time and it's driving me nuts.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    I have read this entire thread and still can't figure why I pocket dial. I pocket dial all the time and it's driving me nuts.
    It's very easy to unlock the Pre when it is in your pocket. All it has to do is slide open about 1/2 and inch. If this happens and the last app you used was the phone, it's very easy to redial the last number.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast