Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    How I had to go through FOUR Pre units before I got one that didn't have a screen problem:

I've been on a pre waiting list for a while, and after finally resolving a very frustrating contract issue w/ sprint customer service (a nightmare in its own right), a pre came in with my name on it.

I got it from the sprint store, took it home, and sat down to play. Imagine my dissapointment when I discovered a dead pixel. Luckily, the sprint employee who helped me had been very friendly, so I went back, pointed out the dead pixel, and asked for a replacement. She made the swap, booted up my new pre, and THAT ONE had a dead pixel, too!! They swapped it out two times more, with only two pres left, and both of them had dead pixels! their repair guy came out and tried to tell me that it wasn't a big deal. "So what? the psp's had dead pixels when they first came out, too." That I should be satisfied to have one at all. I told him that if I was paying $300 for a new phone (albeit with $100 coming back in the mail), that I was not going to settle for a defective one.

That store was all out of pre's, though. I called the next closest sprint corporate store, explained my problem, and the guy on the phone said "We have a waiting list of people who dont have a pre at all." So, the next day, I found another Sprint store in the area that had one left. I called and said I had a pre with a manufacturer defect and needed to exchange it. He told me they didn't have any. I called back and said that I was looking to buy a pre, and he told me that they had one left and would hold it for me! I guess sprint is happy once they have my money. No service unless they think they're going to make more.

When I got there, I could tell the clerk was frustrated with my white lie, but started to do the transaction anyway. He then stopped and told me that he couldn't exchange it because I'm only allowed one exchange per phone! I told him that was bull if the exchange unit they give me is defective, too. He rolled his eyes. But, I stuck by my guns and FINALLY went home with a new and fully functional Pre.

That said, I'm in love with my Pre. It's beautiful and works like a charm. Web OS is great. The cards are revolutionary. The screen, with all its pixels, is sharp. The camera is spectacular. I love it. Totally worth the fight. But, new buyers beware. look for those screen problems, and if they're there, don't let them bully you. Kick and scream until you get your very own fully functional Pre
    In my opinion, too many people are having similar problems. I am on my 3rd Pre. Hopefully, this one will be good. Sprint and Palm need to get together and replace the bad hardware phones quickly and quietly lest the press get ahold of this problem. The last thing either company needs is more bad press.

1. Dead pixels
    2. Blotchy screens
    3. Bubbles in screens
    4. Spontaneously cracking screens
    5. Horrible reception issues
    6. Loose and wobbly sliders
    7. Bad battery life
    8. Excessive heat
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm on my second and will be switching to my third Pre sometime this week. Exchanged my first one due to dead pixels (some were very very noticeable) and the two units they had in the store also had dead pixels. I had to take one because they set it all up without letting me look at it first. I think I've seen at least 5 Pres with dead pixels. I'm hoping that a newer shipment might have a good unit in it. The manager of the store I'm going to do my second exchange at was very nice about it and even suggested I wait until they get newer units in. I felt that he sincerely wanted to help me find a good unit. I'm pretty frustrated with the lack of quality in the hardware, but I really like the software and am just hoping I can get a good unit.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I know we hear a lot of stories like this on here, but i'm glad they're getting resolved (maybe some longer than others). Hopefully it's still a small minority off issues and most have a smooth experience like mine was.
    well I had my pre exchanged today due to dead pixels, and my replacement which is my 3rd Pre also has one dead pixel. I'm not exchanging it again. I will eather keep it and deal with it or return it and go accross the street and get the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    In my opinion, too many people are having similar problems. I am on my 3rd Pre. Hopefully, this one will be good. Sprint and Palm need to get together and replace the bad hardware phones quickly and quietly lest the press get ahold of this problem. The last thing either company needs is more bad press.

1. Dead pixels
    2. Blotchy screens
    3. Bubbles in screens
    4. Spontaneously cracking screens
    5. Horrible reception issues
    6. Loose and wobbly sliders
    7. Bad battery life
    8. Excessive heat
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've been quite lucky and have had zero issues with mine, but I am concerned that something could happen - the screen cracking is quite a concern for me, or dead pixels suddenly popping up.

I love the device and think WedOS has tremendous potential, but I find myself on the fence about simply returning it and going to a 3GS.
    Good for you!

Well, I went in today for unit #2. Dead pixels and loose slider did it for me. I was actually willing to live with the slider. I even almost convinced myself to overlook the pixel issue (my plasma has few dead pixels, but to rip it off the wall mount and haul it to best buy is totally not worth the hassle).

We went through 2 new units (loose sliders...haha) before we found a good one. The guy restored my profile (having an online profile is sooo awesome!) and even filled out another rebate form AND envelope...how cool is that for customer service? Palo Alto (2 blocks from Stanford)

I did a quick look over on the screen for dead pixels, but I couldn't spot any.

Anybody have a picture or background that we could use to really spot the dead pixels?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Good for you!

Well, I went in today for unit #2. Dead pixels and loose slider did it for me. I was actually willing to live with the slider. I even almost convinced myself to overlook the pixel issue (my plasma has few dead pixels, but to rip it off the wall mount and haul it to best buy is totally not worth the hassle).

We went through 2 new units (loose sliders...haha) before we found a good one. The guy restored my profile (having an online profile is sooo awesome!) and even filled out another rebate form AND envelope...how cool is that for customer service? Palo Alto (2 blocks from Stanford)

Anybody have a picture or background that we could use to really spot the dead pixels?
    you can use the screen test function to spot dead pixels. it shows a full white, red, blue and green screen (tap to change). there will be a little white bar at the top or bottom, but u can drag it around the screen to get rid of it.

go to device info > more info > tap preferences in the top left (menu) > select interactive tests > screen
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Good for you!

So after the two with loose sliders, the third one has a completely tight slider? If I push the left side of my phone down the slider will not rotate, that's how the phone should feel in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Just went to the Sprint store today to put my name on the waiting list for my 2nd Pre. Pretty bummed.. because I really thought my first one was perfect. Did not experience any of the common problems most have been through on these forums. However in the past week small bubbles have formed on the top left corner of my screen. Just today they stretched out even further. The guys in the store looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to exchange.

I agree with the original poster. If I'm paying 300 dollars and agreeing to a two year contract, my device better be perfect. Not my fault you didn't properly test out the units before shipping them out.

Lesson learned I would hope.