Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Perspective:

This thread contains several anectodal real world reports of battery drain at .5% per minute. That gives a "talk" time of 200 minutes.

Published specs to compare to:
    HTC Touch Pro: 225 minutes
    Samsung Instinct: 276 minutes
    iPhone 3G: 300 minutes
    Blackberry Storm: 360 minutes

Now, have you ever seen a published spec that wasn't fudged harder than Oprah's brownie recipe? I'm not saying anyone is lying, but generally they take the absolute best of hundreds of test runs, under ideal conditions, and put that number on a flag and wave it around. We're comparing those figures to real-world actual use as reported by a number of geographically diverse, independent researchers (i.e. prprpr&#$275$;$tards$ $from$ $all$-$over$).

Now, even with that in mind, the prprpr&#$275$; $is$ $still$ $tail$-$end$ $Charlie$. $Some$ $phones$ $are$ $obviously$ $more$ $power$ $efficient$, $and$ $others$ $just$ $have$ $a$ $bigger$ $battery$. $The$ $endurance$ $champ$ $of$ $comparable$ $phones$, $the$ $Storm$, $does$ $it$ $with$ $only$ $a$ $1000mAh$ $power$ $pack$. $The$ $HTC$ $has$ $a$ $30$% $bigger$ $battery$ $for$ $just$ $a$ $few$ $minutes$ $more$ $runtime$, $and$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $what$'$s$ $in$ $the$ $iPhone$. $I$ $suspect$ $it$'$s$ $powered$ $by$ $fairy$ $dust$ $and$ $unicorn$ $farts$.

Folks, we've got a field replaceable battery; carry a reload. Buy the big fat extended battery when it comes out. The prprpr&#$275$; $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $plug$ $in$ $to$ $charge$; $put$ $a$ $touchstone$ $in$ $your$ $car$ $and$ $on$ $your$ $desk$ $and$ $at$ $your$ $girlfriend$'$s$ $house$ ($don$'$t$ $tell$ $your$ $wife$). $Just$ $don$'$t$ $tell$ $me$ $you$'$re$ $ditching$ $the$ $pr$&#$275$; $just$ $so$ $you$ $can$ $squeeze$ $in$ $one$ $more$ $episode$ $of$ &$quot$;$2$½ $Men$&$quot$;. $Seriously$. $You$ $can$ $come$ $up$ $with$ $a$ $better$ $excuse$ $than$ $that$.

Joe
    Ok, your argument is stated clearly, but is flawed.

I had an HTC Mogul, and Touch Pro. I can easily say that running the internet for 5 minutes did not ding 7% off of my battery. I could use the TP for the entire day, fairly heavily the entire day, and usually end my day at around 30-40%. The pre has issues just making it through the day, none the less having battery to spare.

btw, I always carried a replacement battery for my TP on my, but only needed it once.
  3.    #23  
    id probaby be in the second group as well. my phone gets extremely warm too.
    I'd say I'm in the second group. Standby power drain is pretty good. But I'm definitely using 3-4 hours of surfing per day, and my battery isn't quite taking me to the end of the day. No way I'm returning this puppy, but I'd love to have a little more life.

I think the difference between the second and third groups is how much they use the web. I'd almost guarantee that anyone using the web for several hours per day feels like they'd like a little more battery life, while those who use much less than that are really happy with their battery life. The browser is just so good, I can't stop going to it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    ok none of you are mentioning if you are using hotmail as one of your accounts and thats a little alarming. my phone battery life changed dramaticly when i deleted this account and started checking it by browser. the other day my power went out and i had no wifi. i steamed pandora on 3g with 2 bars and fell asleep my phone was at 87 % i had been using it all day . it was 3pm at the time and at 535 when i woke up i was at 47 percent. and that was playing over bluetooth and not on a charger. DELETE HOTMAIL. turn off gps and leave autolocate on . my screen was off when i woke up. but still streaming music over bluetooth on 3g for like 2 and a half hrs. is definately the equivilent to playing with the browser on wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think the difference between the second and third groups is how much they use the web. I'd almost guarantee that anyone using the web for several hours per day feels like they'd like a little more battery life, while those who use much less than that are really happy with their battery life. The browser is just so good, I can't stop going to it.
    I would agree with you, except I mentioned that this is based on medium use, including very light Web browsing.

For example, mine's been on standby now for 10 minutes (last time I took note) and I've lost 2% battery life. That means in an hour I'd lose 12%, just sitting on standby. In four hours, things remaining the same, I'd lose roughly 50%, doing nothing.

Frankly, as I look at this, I'm not terribly sure that I lose that much more life actually doing work with my Pre. I'll have to keep an eye on this, because if this VERY anecdotal bit of info holds up, it would lead me to believe that it's background tasks that are draining battery life. Hmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    nope, not using hotmail here (have no used hotmail since like 1997). Just AOL mail and gmail.
  8.    #28  
    haha i agree with jbg7474
    Quote Originally Posted by silversentra1999 View Post
    ok none of you are mentioning if you are using hotmail as one of your accounts and thats a little alarming. my phone battery life changed dramaticly when i deleted this account and started checking it by browser. the other day my power went out and i had no wifi. i steamed pandora on 3g with 2 bars and fell asleep my phone was at 87 % i had been using it all day . it was 3pm at the time and at 535 when i woke up i was at 47 percent. and that was playing over bluetooth and not on a charger. DELETE HOTMAIL. turn off gps and leave autolocate on . my screen was off when i woke up. but still streaming music over bluetooth on 3g for like 2 and a half hrs. is definately the equivilent to playing with the browser on wifi.
    Nope, no Hotmail.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by silversentra1999 View Post
    Nope, no hotmail here. No AIM either. For what it's worth, I've streamed Pandora, and I don't see the drain like I do when I'm just doing web browsing. I have a good 3G signal in my area, and almost always have 5 bars. I use wifi when I'm at home. I have GPS on, but that shouldn't make a difference if I'm not using it--I'm not seeing GPS off make a difference in my standby time.

I think the browsing drain has to do with the screen being on (yes, I have the brightness turned down all the way), possibly scrolling, possibly zooming in/out, possibly just rendering the pages in the first place. I'm doing a lot of scrolling, reading precentral forums, news websites.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I was getting around 4 hours of battery life while listening to Pandora on a Bluetooth headset. Very good, IMHO.
    Just did a little web browsing. Every minute that I had the browser open, was a full % hit on the battery meter. Totally unacceptable.
  13.    #33  
    Is it possible for palm to release an update that improves battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    Is it possible for palm to release an update that improves battery life?
    absolutely. the software is what drives the processor to do work.. the processor doing work is what requires most of the battery power.

review: software > processor > battery
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    ..Just don't tell me you're ditching the prprpr&#$275$; $just$ $so$ $you$ $can$ $squeeze$ $in$ $one$ $more$ $episode$ $of$ &$quot$;$2$½ $Men$&$quot$;.

Joe
    Lol - this should be my new sig
    I get about 3 minutes per % point. I checked it a few times by browsing this thread and clicking to the next page. Not too bad I guess. Will monitor it some more.
    Not sure why everyone claims Hotmail is the culprit, I use hotmail, have it set to sync on the hour, and I get decent stand by. My phone has been off the charger for 3.5 hours now, and I'm at 92%. I haven't surfed much on the phone yet today, however i have made 2 phone calls, installed the test app. And sent a bunch (read:10ish) texts. That works out to 2.3% battery an hour. Thats the best I've had yet, and I got my phone on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Wi-fi surfing apparently is much nicer on the battery.
    Oh no, my battery with wifi can go down 20% in 20 minutes of browsing.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  19.    #39  
    Oh ok that is good then. Lets hope that palm fixes this battery issue.
    I got a second Pre and the battery life is much better, so is the sliding mechanism. You may have a dud.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast