Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over the weekend I went on a 200 mile road trip to meet up with family and discovered a few things to be aware of in the future. Even with the screen off and the GPS application running, it will SUCK down the battery life (down to 20% after about an hour of driving). Then when i bought a car charger (one for the Palm 800) from a travel stop off the interstate, I found that with the screen on and GPS still running it managed to kill the battery after another two hours of driving (leaving me "blind" about 30 miles from my destination). So that means the unit will draw more power than the car charger provides which only delays the enviable dead battery.

Moral of the story, use a car charger if you intend to use the GPS for more than an hour and the GPS feature is not suitable for constant user over very long trips.
    I had this problem with the HTC Touch Pro, and Mogul. If it's an aftermarket charger, odds are that it cannot provide the amount of power the phone needs to keep running. Not sure about the stock charger from Sprint though.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    For the car charger to work properly (i.e. keep up) it has to have two things correct.
    1. it has to be > 500mA at 5V output (there are chargers in the 850 to 1000mA range).
    2. in order for the Pre to use that "juice" the center two pins of the charger need to be directly tied together.

I was able to get the Monoprice.com
    4960 Motorola V8, V9 Series Car Charger for RAZR2 $1.47
    working buy taking apart the connector and soldering together the center two pins.

I also bought the 3524 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter which worked right with any usb cable. but it still might need the center pins tied together to keep up with heavy usage in the car.

good luck,
    -tim
    FYI I just tried using my 800's charger to charge the pre they dont seem to work back and forth assume tim knows his crap and the chargers have different power amounts or something but they dont work.... and as far as overall battery life thing is way better then my pile of crap 800 and iphone has same problems when using GPS just the nature of the beast
    Very interesting post. I use my Treo 680 powered into the cig lighter running Telenav for long and short trips. I usually have Ptunes running in the background at the same time. Having my GPS keep up with the charger is essential.

I like the mod suggested by AustinTim. Is it an upgrade over the standard Pre car charger?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang7303 View Post
    Moral of the story, use a car charger if you intend to use the GPS for more than an hour and the GPS feature is not suitable for constant user over very long trips.
    All GPS devices, including standalone devices like Garmin, Magellan and TomTom, are battery hogs. GPS signal processing + constant map graphic updates + other stuff they do = mega power consumption.
    While this thread is bound to be moved into the 'Accessories' Forum (where something similar exists), I will share my experience...

I, too, went on a 152 mile trip both this past weekend and the weekend before that and I used Sprint Navigation to get me there. GPS is DEFINTELY a power-hog! I think the only chargers that can hold the Pre at the existing level is the Sprint-branded car charger. I am returning the Seidio charger that I bought from Precentral.net and using the monoproce USB car charger. I havent done any intensive testing with the monoprice setup, but on my way to church calling all of the fathers I know, it was still able to charge my Pre from 45% to just over 60% in less than 30 min of driving! Pretty decent in my book!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I drove over 1,000 miles this weekend and had sprint nav and pandora going the whole time. My monoprice car usb adapter with the palm usb cable kept it charged the entire trip, but charged slowly. But using my aux in on my stereo I had ground loop buzzing with that setup, so I switched to my ac inverter and wall charger. It charged quickly and no ground loop buzz. With that setup I went from 50% to full in about an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelvds View Post
    I drove over 1,000 miles this weekend and had sprint nav and pandora going the whole time. My monoprice car usb adapter with the palm usb cable kept it charged the entire trip, but charged slowly. But using my aux in on my stereo I had ground loop buzzing with that setup, so I switched to my ac inverter and wall charger. It charged quickly and no ground loop buzz. With that setup I went from 50% to full in about an hour.
    Good! I cant wait to use my monoprice setup on the next road trip! I might even fire up Pandora or stream a podcast, too!
  10.    #10  
    I know from experience that with the Pre plugged into the laptop's USB to charge it is a slow process and is lucky to gain 5% battery life while streaming Pandora and sending text messages every few minutes. When plugged into a A/C outlet however, it will charge pretty darn quickly even with Wifi and Blutooth radios chugging away on Pandora and browsing the web. So with that in mind, I saw a while back a smallish A/C inverter for the car which plugs into a cigarette lighter which would provide enough power to charge a laptop and power other non-intensive draw devices. A google search comes up with this on Amazon: Amazon.com: Black & Decker PI100AB 100 Watt Power Inverter: Home Improvement

How about that idea? It would also be useful in many other applications too.
    My 2 cents worth with a long Sprint NAV trip as well. Would keep up with Charge when on touchstone and the Sprint Branded Charger but did get warm. Would actually charge a bit (but slowly) connected straight to charger and no touchstone
    I'm using a Sprint car charger (850mA output) that I found laying around the office (I'll post the model number if I remember next time I'm in my car) that will charge my Pre while it's doing Navi and taking/making calls. And by "charge," I do mean exceed the draw. So, yes, I'm with AustinTim that you just need to find the right charger.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Does anyone know if the Palm branded car-usb adapter exhibits the ground loop problem?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Palm branded car-usb adapter exhibits the ground loop problem?
    From what I have read if your car has ground loop issues with the aux in any DC usb adapter (including the palm one) will have the ground loop. It is an issue that the ground on the cigarette lighter ground and the stereos aux ground aren't grounded together well so you get the loop current. The only fix is to isolate the grounds with either an AC inverter or the aux in isolators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    All GPS devices, including standalone devices like Garmin, Magellan and TomTom, are battery hogs. GPS signal processing + constant map graphic updates + other stuff they do = mega power consumption.
    While this may be your observations, it's complete bunk. Selling a charger that is incapable of keeping up with the device's power consumption rates is poor engineering. Running Tom-Tom, Destinator, Mapopolis or VZNav on a variety of devices (XV-6600, sch-i730, Mogul, Moto Q, Q9M, Q9C, Treo 700w), I never had any such problem.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I used the Sprint car charger for the Pre on an hour long drive with GPS and lost battery power.
    From what I have read if your car has ground loop issues with the aux in any DC usb adapter (including the palm one) will have the ground loop. It is an issue that the ground on the cigarette lighter ground and the stereos aux ground aren't grounded together well so you get the loop current. The only fix is to isolate the grounds with either an AC inverter or the aux in isolators.
    Thanks, that makes sense. It's a car issue. I guess I'll have to try it out in my car.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    I used the Sprint car charger for the Pre on an hour long drive with GPS and lost battery power.
    same
    Well I can tell you right now that the Palm charger is not the greatest thing in the world. I don't know if it is my phone, but the day I got my first phone, plugging it into the charger made the phone indicate that it is being charged, but it really didn't charge at all, a 30 minute car trip yielded -1%...i.e. it lost charge. I used my old iGo charger I got from radio shack, and bought a micro usb tip for it and tried it, and that charger worked great with that phone. Just last friday I got a new Pre due to screen issues. Happy and in a good mood that I got a shiny new Pre, I walk out to my truck to plug it in to my iGo charger.....the phone did not even recognize it! Strange. So I motor on home....and when I get there, I try the Palm charger...it works...and it charged pretty damn fast! Out of curiosity, I tried the iGo charger in my car...and what do ou know, it works in the car, just not in the truck...but I figure...whatever, this will work for me. So today I use the Palm Charger in my truck and go for a 20 minute trip using Navi. Prior to that I just had a couple of short phone calls, and that's about it. By the time I reach my destination, the battery is down to 67%, and that's with the charger plugged in! Well...that really blows, forget any long trips! Anyhow, on my way back I don't need the Navi anymore, so I figure it ought to charge the battery pretty good. 20 minutes back, with the screen off and no calls coming in, the battery makes it to 69%! WTF? When I tried it Friday night when the phone was new, that charger managed 2% in about 2 mins, without my truck running!

I am very confused and really don't know what to do anymore. Palm sent me a return lable so I can return the Palm charger, maybe I will just do that and look for that magic Sprint branded charger that can manage to keep the battery alive even with long navi sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    same
    How much though?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast