Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm using a Sprint car charger (850mA output) that I found laying around the office (I'll post the model number if I remember next time I'm in my car) that will charge my Pre while it's doing Navi and taking/making calls. And by "charge," I do mean exceed the draw. So, yes, I'm with AustinTim that you just need to find the right charger.
    I get a positive charge with the Sprint charger with Navi as well.
    I used the Sprint car charger last week for a 200 mile roundtrip drive. Used the charger about half the time. My battery did not die. I used the Navi and Pandora but not at the same time. Only charged it when it got down to about 30%, let it charge about 30 min and uplugged it. This was an 8 hour trip in all.
    I have a VERIZON charger that has a mini usb jack. I bought a Motorola adapter to convert the mini to a micro and plugged that in and it charges my phone. Over the weekend I plugged the charger in and ran sprint navigation. The charger was enough to charge my phone from 49% to 72% over an hour's long drive WITH the navigation running the entire time.
    Thanks to whomever posted that USB car charger from Monoprice. I've been looking for something like that. I love Monoprice.
    I left today to do errands and play with the sprint navigation. I had 80% charge, when I got home I had 100%. Navigation on the entire time, sprint brand charger. I was gone a little over an hour. The phone does get very warm with this, as has been noted elswhere.

*Edit* I don't know if it makes a difference but I drive an 07 sonata and it has a seperate ac power jack, so it doesnt use the cigarette lighter. In fact it said not to use the cig lighter for accessories. (I don't know why.)
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 06/22/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    My experiment today with the Sprint branded car charger and a Touchstone:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1702725
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I bought the "Palm Vehicle Car Charger" today and ran a couple quick tests, and here were my results: (This is not using the touchstone)

Driving to class: (25 min drive)
    Phone on idle mostly(a couple texts and emails came through)
    Beginning 69% - Ending 88%
    = .76% a minute

Drive home from class: (25 min drive)
    Pandora running with gps nav on whole way
    Beginning 81% - Ending 85%
    = .16% a minute

Charging at idle put out real good results. Positive charge at near max task is ok. Much better than the stories I hear of people still losing battery.

Tomorrow I will be testing out the touchstone with the car charger and will post results.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Palm branded car-usb adapter exhibits the ground loop problem?
    I know with my ipod touch, I had to buy a shielded headphone male-male headphone cord, but no more static!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I purchased the Monoprice USB car charger. The first time I used it I had the navigation and Pandora running and gained power. Today I had just the navigation and LOST power. Both times the battery icon showed the Pre charging. The one givaway today was that when the Pre is charging the USB charger gets very hot, and when I took it out today it was cool to the touch. No idea why the difference.
    My IGo keep my pre charge with nav and pandora running at the same time.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I drive for a lot for work and use my navigator constantly, often in combination with Pandora.

I've tried both the Sprint car charger and the Palm charger.

The Sprint charger can power the navigator, pandora, and charge your battery (slowly).

The Palm charger does not provide enough power to run these apps; your battery just drains more slowly while it's connected. Actually, yeah, even with just the navigator it drains.

Stick with the Sprint one, imo. It's disappointing since I really prefer the design of the Palm charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    For the car charger to work properly (i.e. keep up) it has to have two things correct.
    1. it has to be > 500mA at 5V output (there are chargers in the 850 to 1000mA range).
    2. in order for the Pre to use that "juice" the center two pins of the charger need to be directly tied together.

I was able to get the Monoprice.com
    4960 Motorola V8, V9 Series Car Charger for RAZR2 $1.47
    working buy taking apart the connector and soldering together the center two pins.

I also bought the 3524 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter which worked right with any usb cable. but it still might need the center pins tied together to keep up with heavy usage in the car.

good luck,
    -tim

I have one of those Cig Lighter to 2 usbs will that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrolesen View Post
    I drive for a lot for work and use my navigator constantly, often in combination with Pandora.

I've tried both the Sprint car charger and the Palm charger.

The Sprint charger can power the navigator, pandora, and charge your battery (slowly).

The Palm charger does not provide enough power to run these apps; your battery just drains more slowly while it's connected. Actually, yeah, even with just the navigator it drains.

Stick with the Sprint one, imo. It's disappointing since I really prefer the design of the Palm charger.

what exact sprint one are you using link please?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    I bought the "Palm Vehicle Car Charger" today and ran a couple quick tests, and here were my results: (This is not using the touchstone)

Driving to class: (25 min drive)
    Phone on idle mostly(a couple texts and emails came through)
    Beginning 69% - Ending 88%
    = .76% a minute

Drive home from class: (25 min drive)
    Pandora running with gps nav on whole way
    Beginning 81% - Ending 85%
    = .16% a minute

Charging at idle put out real good results. Positive charge at near max task is ok. Much better than the stories I hear of people still losing battery.

Tomorrow I will be testing out the touchstone with the car charger and will post results.

Ok, here is an update from my original post while using the Touchstone and the "Palm Vehicle Power Charger":
    To work - 20 min drive with GPS and Pandora on whole way:
    Beginning 94% - Ending 98%
    Thats .2% a minute positive charge

Drive home from work: 33 minute drive, phone on idle other than a few texts.
    Beginning 69% - Ending 95%
    Thats .79% positive charge a minute

These results impressed me and I know it will many of you. To make this a little more accurate, I believe you have to take into account a minute +/- and a % +/-. For example, walking to my car today I checked the battery life and it read 70%, but when I placed it on the charger it read 69%. Same thing should go for time, as I am not counting seconds. Additional info is I drive a Z28 and it holds a Optimum red top battery(not sure if this matters lol).

Beats the heck out of me that even though the touchstone draws more power, the charge seemed to be greater while using it. I believe signal and GPS rerouting may play a variable in the formula. I am satisfied with these results
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have the same performance issues with the Palm-branded car charger. I don't have the specs but the output power must be too low to sustain using the Nav app for extended road trips. I drive 30 miles on my work commute and every morning I start at 100%, and I'll drop to 50%-60% by the time I get to work. Today I switched to another charger I had (rated at 750mA) with a USB connector and used my Pre USB cable and power stayed constant. Probably why Sprint released their own branded charger.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen this type of behavior? Last week I watched my (idle) phone while using the Palm branded charger, and started with about a 20% charge on the phone. The phone actually lost charge while plugged in down until 15%, and THEN it started charging. Maybe there's some logic in there that won't let the phone charge unless it's down to a certain level?

Also, what specifically are the differences between the Palm and the Sprint branded charger?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I have the Palm car charger #3453WW and it works great with the TS. Constant positive charge with pandora, gps, occasional call and animated weather map going.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I think people should start listing the model number of the Palm and/or Sprint car charger you are using, as there have been mixed results with both. Maybe even the vehicle you are driving might help too? I have the Palm charger, model 3453WW, in a 02 Nissan Frontier and it charges positively no matter what I have running. I've heard a couple people having issues with the previous version (3437WW) charging the Pre. Also, if you buy a Sprint one, you may want to say if you bought it in-store or off eBay as they apparently have been hit or miss on eBay as well...
    Interesting thought...I've been using the front-mounted port (would be a cig lighter if I opted for the smoker package) but I have another in my center console. I will try that port w/ my monoprice setup & see if there is a difference. Maybe we all should post our results w/ the specific port we use. Oh, I drive an 07 Mazda CX-9.
    I had my Pre plugged into the Sprint 12v car charger. The battery level, at the start, was at about 20% and I had turned on the Sprint Nav and the Bluetooth. In about a half hour I was down to about 10% and within another half hour the phone quit. What the heck? the correct Sprint car charger can't keep up with the demand? That sucks.

A few days later, I had my Pre nearly full charged (perhaps around 85%) and I started an 8+ hour trip using the Sprint Nav and the Bluetooth (the same as before) and this time I saw the Pre battery level rise. So that's strange. Why would a phone near the end of battery life suck more energy than a more fully charged phone?

In the earlier case I am sure that the phone was getting a charge, since the indicator was indicating that it was connected.

Can't explain it, I was just going to chalk it up to the WTF pile.
    I am glad (in a sarcastic sort of way) to hear that I am not the only one to experience some car charging weirdness. The more of us that record our issues and disappointment the more likely that someone at Palm and Sprint will address the possible problem.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast