1.    #1  
    So when trying to go to landscape mode when trying to read articles on my Pre, I find I have to fight the phone to go from vertical to horizontal and back again. Anyone have this issue, and is there a work around or am I pretty much going to have to shake this baby forever?
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I can't really answer the question, but I was playing with a Pre in a Sprint store this weekend and when messing with the browser it would not switch to landscape mode when I rotated the phone. So I guess it could be an issue. Hopefully someone else can chime in and let us know for sure.
    The phone needs to be nearly perpendicular/vertical for the proper flipping. If the phone is parallel to the ground, it probably won't work. I didn't know this initially until someone on this board told us about this.
    Try holding the phone so the screen is exactly perpendicular to the floor. I've noticed that if I hold mine at normal viewing angle, the accelerometer won't work. (The same thing happens with my Ipod Touch)
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
  5.    #5  
    Just tried that and you are indeed correct. Thanks!!!
    Kingdom of Heaven
    The accelerometer works because it "feels" the pull of the earth's gravity. If the Pre is laying flat, there's no way that it can sense the gravity because the accelerometer doesn't change orientation with respect to the earth. When it's perpendicular and you switch between portait and landscape, the accelerometer actually changines orientation with respect to the eath.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Yes, Ron is correct. For those that need a visual demonstration, do this:

Place the Pre on the table. Now walk around the table, notice the pre does not rotate the screen, because it doesn't know where you are.

Now, with the pre still laying on the table, slowly spin it clockwise or counter clockwise. notice that the screen does not rotate. This is because the pre doesn't know which direction you are looking at it from.

Now, hold the phone with the power button pointing up, the Pre now knows which direction is up, and pretty much knows you're looking at it that way.

In other words, DUH! LOL.

Ron, any relation to Nick Longo of Corpus Christi?
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    Try holding the phone so the screen is exactly perpendicular to the floor. I've noticed that if I hold mine at normal viewing angle, the accelerometer won't work. (The same thing happens with my Ipod Touch)
    This is the same with iPhone and iPod Touch...the accelerometer is designed to work in the perpendicular orientation.
    lmao.. i can't believe this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Yes, Ron is correct. For those that need a visual demonstration, do this:

Place the Pre on the table. Now walk around the table, notice the pre does not rotate the screen, because it doesn't know where you are.

Now, with the pre still laying on the table, slowly spin it clockwise or counter clockwise. notice that the screen does not rotate. This is because the pre doesn't know which direction you are looking at it from.

Now, hold the phone with the power button pointing up, the Pre now knows which direction is up, and pretty much knows you're looking at it that way.

In other words, DUH! LOL.

Ron, any relation to Nick Longo of Corpus Christi?
    If we're related I don't know. Very small family. I have exactly three living relatives.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoresrock View Post
    Excuse me for not knowing how an acceloromtor works. Since you are so smart, please break down nuclear physics for me as well.

Seriously people who act like know it alls are the worst.
    Kingdom of Heaven
    The best is when one of the women at CES demoing the Pre didn't realize this her self.

Very embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    Excuse me for not knowing how an acceloromtor works. Since you are so smart, please break down nuclear physics for me as well.

Seriously people who act like know it alls are the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoresrock View Post
    Come on now...we're a small community compared to the competitor (iPhone/G1/Storm) everyone deserves a break. Remember back when you didn't know a thing or two about a subject or issue?...you asked questions and someone answered. That's the main reason people come here. Let's respect one another and foster other Precentral members so they might be able to answer others' questions with the knowledge they've gained here...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Come on now...we're a small community compared to the competitor (iPhone/G1/Storm) everyone deserves a break. Remember back when you didn't know a thing or two about a subject or issue?...you asked questions and someone answered. That's the main reason people come here. Let's respect one another and foster other Precentral members so they might be able to answer others' questions with the knowledge they've gained here...
    Couldn't have said it better myself. A big thanks to you sir.
    Kingdom of Heaven