Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
  1. #41  
    Yes, they really messed up with build quality. Not just one glaring issue but a multitude of issues which, if youre a buyer that does not read about them in the forums (if you read my poll) you still have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of catching a bad phone and returning your unit for any issue from blotches to rattle, to bad pixels, etc.

    You have an exciting WebOS, as you can see, people will give it a little slack against the competition by saying, it's 1.0 versus 3.0 and deserves time which is great because in reality it's basically a dead heat between the iphone. Smooth the rough edges and get the app store cranking and people will be estatic on the phone.

    But you have NO excuses for a shoddy unit. Both Palm and sprint have gone through manufacturing before of various types of phones so they are not new to that. From the poll I created, even being on the conservative side I can see return rate over 20-25%. I know this was a small sample but do you think it really could be close to 30%? That's terrible.

    My poll doesnt even take into consideration of people not liking it or having problems and just returning it with no exchange... those people here that tried and then left angry saying they were going iphone or back to their BB or Treo and people calling them troll on the way out... potential long term WebOS fans gone elsewhere.

    I won't be surprised with returns that they actually lose money on this phone and by the time they straighten out, then Verizon and ATT will have a WebOS phone.

    I've said this in other posts... I think they released their product too early. I don't think they had to release two days before WWDC and especially if they were not ready. They should have waited until afterwards and they would have made tweaks and be in much better shape.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Troll or not he is spot on. I DO have a Pre..and I love it! I was one of the lucky ones but even mine is on the edge. (i have my little piece of paper shoved in the battery!) I'm afraid to return it for fear of what I might get in exchange. Palm needs to get a handle on this. Unfortunately for all us early adopters by the time they do our 30 days will be up.

    The kinks will get ironed out with WebOS I have no doubt..but to have the hardware be this shotty is inexcusable. Heads should roll at Palm. Don't flame me either...I love Palm and I love my Pre..but come ON! All you have to do is take a hard look at the device in your hand or read every other thread on this board to see they screwed up the hardware.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

    I've said this in other posts... I think they released their product too early. I don't think they had to release two days before WWDC and especially if they were not ready. They should have waited until afterwards and they would have made tweaks and be in much better shape.
    In hindsight you are right. But Palm did not know what Apple would reveal at WWDC. If Apple had completely redesigned the iphone with multitasking and other features, nobody would be talking about the Pre. I think Palm's decision to rush the launch and get the spotlight before the Apple's WWDC was the right one at the time. The Xbox 360 had a much higher defect rate when released but they have overcome this and has a larger base than Sony's PS3! Palm is going to take some heat for the Pre but they will be alright. WebOS rocks!!!
  3. #43  
    I have no doubt that Palm will do ok... the WebOS is cool.
    Sprint on the other hand... they had a great opportunity.
  4. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #44  
    The iphone 3g had PLENTY of build quality issues.....many people were exchanging due to dead pixels and light leakage. I had to exchange my 3g twice to get a "good" one.

    Not sure if apple had fixed this for the 3gs, but I surely hope they have. They had 2 years now to fix those issues.

    Just trying to keep an even perspective on things.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I have no doubt that Palm will do ok... the WebOS is cool.
    Sprint on the other hand... they had a great opportunity.
    Yeah Sprint is the real loser (i assume Sprint has to eat the returns). When the Pre comes to Verizon next year the software and hardware will be tight!
  6. #46  
    Sorry but I dont trust have the stuff posted here anymore from people with < 10 posts. Too many 'investors' from finance boards are using precentral boards as justification on reasons to slam Palm as a company, starting BS threads that focus on Pre hardware issues. Half people's complaints include every possible problem all in a single phone like they got the ultimate lemon.

    Enough already. I was the first guy in NYC 86th street store, got a pre and its been fine. I even contacted a few people form the line that I got phone numbers from and they are fine too. Maybe NYC got all the good phones but I honestly really doubt it.
  7. #47  
    Yeh WHEN pre come to Verizon it will be tight just the way the STORM is, LMAO.
    First of all to Verizon which over charges for everything and they cry foul if they dont get a phone, the Pre is NOT COMING TO Verzon, maybe next year just maybe. By that time all exclusivity will be off for all companies, Congress told FCC to remove that so all companies can have any phone they want. Now that we did away wit Verizon, lets move on to iPhone, my my how fast we all forgot when the first iPhone came out what where people saying? Everyone forgot? Shame they were foaming and yelling what crap is this, this is the first phone from palm, with webOS 1.03, and it way better then when Apple came out with iPhone, people here forget that Apple has 2 years head start, so with that said, everyone iPhone addict should ask themselves what the iPhone be worth without all the APPS? It be worth 00000000000000000
    across the board, everyone gets the iPhone for the APPS, my friend has iPhone and he said that is the only reason people get it, otherwise it be just iPod. So all you iPhone lovers chill sit back and learn how a real phone with a real OS works. Iphone all hate the Pre cause they know it will be better the iPhone cause it is not always about the APPS.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Yeh WHEN pre come to Verizon it will be tight just the way the STORM is, LMAO.
    First of all to Verizon which over charges for everything and they cry foul if they dont get a phone, the Pre is NOT COMING TO Verzon, maybe next year just maybe. By that time all exclusivity will be off for all companies, Congress told FCC to remove that so all companies can have any phone they want. Now that we did away wit Verizon, lets move on to iPhone, my my how fast we all forgot when the first iPhone came out what where people saying? Everyone forgot? Shame they were foaming and yelling what crap is this, this is the first phone from palm, with webOS 1.03, and it way better then when Apple came out with iPhone, people here forget that Apple has 2 years head start, so with that said, everyone iPhone addict should ask themselves what the iPhone be worth without all the APPS? It be worth 00000000000000000
    across the board, everyone gets the iPhone for the APPS, my friend has iPhone and he said that is the only reason people get it, otherwise it be just iPod. So all you iPhone lovers chill sit back and learn how a real phone with a real OS works. Iphone all hate the Pre cause they know it will be better the iPhone cause it is not always about the APPS.
    Whatever...the fact of the matter is we have seen picture after picture on this board of people's Pre's coming apart at the seams. Even mine has a wobble that will most likely get worse with time. I don't give a damn about the iphone. I'm not even comparing it to the iphone. When you look at the phone all by itself it clearly has hardware problems. Anyone without their anti Apple glasses on can see this.
  9. #49  
    I have no problems, yes i agree there are some out there with bad builds, it is the same with CPU's when AMD or Intel cut the wafers for cpu everyone gets a different cpu, but it is built from the same wafer, why this happens no one know but it does, same here. But this problem is fixable, no fact is that if you do drop the pre you can kiss it good bye. I dropped my Curve 8330 few times and it still works strong. Palm chose a liter design with cheaper built, but most phones are stable with a case of a bad batch. Happens to the best.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Yeh WHEN pre come to Verizon it will be tight just the way the STORM is, LMAO.
    First of all to Verizon which over charges for everything and they cry foul if they dont get a phone, the Pre is NOT COMING TO Verzon, maybe next year just maybe. By that time all exclusivity will be off for all companies, Congress told FCC to remove that so all companies can have any phone they want. Now that we did away wit Verizon, lets move on to iPhone, my my how fast we all forgot when the first iPhone came out what where people saying? Everyone forgot? Shame they were foaming and yelling what crap is this, this is the first phone from palm, with webOS 1.03, and it way better then when Apple came out with iPhone, people here forget that Apple has 2 years head start, so with that said, everyone iPhone addict should ask themselves what the iPhone be worth without all the APPS? It be worth 00000000000000000
    across the board, everyone gets the iPhone for the APPS, my friend has iPhone and he said that is the only reason people get it, otherwise it be just iPod. So all you iPhone lovers chill sit back and learn how a real phone with a real OS works. Iphone all hate the Pre cause they know it will be better the iPhone cause it is not always about the APPS.
    congress didn't tell the fcc any such thing. They can't tell the fcc to void or limit agreements between two companies without hearings and a vote of congress... If the chairman made this decision you would have some of the largest campaign contributors looking to put there $$$ in people who wouldnt limit their "innovation".
    FCC to look into exclusive cell phone deals

    Setting the iPhone Free from AT&T - BusinessWeek
  11. #51  
    It's one thing to put out a shoddy product. It's another to do nothing about it (in my opinion, telling people to play Russian Roulette with exchanging phones is not doing something about it). I have splotches on mine, but guess what? The manager in the Sprint store had the same issue on his, as well as the other two units on display in the store. Four out of four = 100%. And it has no other issues (hasn't crashed at all, no loose battery/slider issues, etc.), so I'm keeping it. Would I prefer one without the splotches? Sure. But realistically, it would take a min. of three months I'd fathom to get a brand new lot of phones in, assuming they knew the problem and had a fix in place already.

    My problem is not so much that there's issues, but that the response is NOT like the Xbox response. I feel like Palm should own up and offer exchanges later in the year once they have fixed the issues. Because right now, as far as I know, no one has a "perfect" Pre (or if they do, chances are they don't know/care about/realize the defects). Let's hope that they honor something within the one year warranty, something that doesn't involve sending away your primary phone for three weeks.
  12. #52  
    They will extend it, Sprint will make sure of it, if enough people bring in for exchange then Sprint will start getting worried and tell PAlm to exchange and they will. About FCC it will happen you will see, they make it like Europe. I believe that we all should be able to have any phone on any network we are with. Freedom people, Freedom.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Whatever...the fact of the matter is we have seen picture after picture on this board of people's Pre's coming apart at the seams. Even mine has a wobble that will most likely get worse with time. I don't give a damn about the iphone. I'm not even comparing it to the iphone. When you look at the phone all by itself it clearly has hardware problems. Anyone without their anti Apple glasses on can see this.
    While I agree that there are post's and reports of defects, I don't think it is in any number that is significantly higher than other phone models. Again the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the vast majority of Pre owners are not reporting any abnormal issues.Palm has said in other posts that a slightly "wobbly" keyboard is normal. I would have hoped for a more sturdy Pre but In my experience the bad hardware does not make it unusable or something that i wouldn't recommend to someone interested in these types of things. I just think coming on here at screaming about how bad it is and how phones are coming apart at the seams is only leading people to belive your experience or that of say 500 pple is common when the sample could be 500 defective outta 100,000 which is not the majority at all.
  14. #54  
    One has to understand that when a new model of a particular phone (especially with a new OS) ships it is expected that there will be some build quality issues. Hopefully Sprint and Palm learn quickly from their mistakes and address them. I dont think the problems are to the full extent that many users are whining about. Sometimes we look for absolute perfection in our products---but its reasonable to understand that it is almost impossible. Obviously glaring problems should force a user to return the phone---but a dead pixel or loose piece isnt the end of the world.

    However I have to say that Palm and Sprint are onto something here. This phone is absolutely the only challenger to the iphone right now. This is exactly what the market needs---a little competition.

    So if you have serious issues return the damn phone. You have a 30 day warranty--and further if you pay for insurance they will address the issues. Thats what I pay my 7$ a month for.
  15. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    They will extend it, Sprint will make sure of it, if enough people bring in for exchange then Sprint will start getting worried and tell PAlm to exchange and they will. About FCC it will happen you will see, they make it like Europe. I believe that we all should be able to have any phone on any network we are with. Freedom people, Freedom.
    I don't doubt it will happen, but It will be on the manufacture's terms. What happens when they manufacture it in all techs but only offer subsidy pricing with the major carriers? Is congress gonna tell the carriers which phones they have to offer deals on and how much they should cost??
    European eh?
    Yeah I can't wait to shell out $800 for a phone that is outdated in 2 years...
  16. #57  
    Every phone out on the market has issues and Pre is not excluded, but it has excellent potential. I was a huge BlackBerry and even that has issues.
  17. #58  
    NO thats not the point, the point will be when a company comes out with a new phone it has to make it for all carriers, and thats the point. And that is what FCC will remove, in Europe you can use any phone with any provider. If you remember last year Apple tried there stunt in Europe and EU said no way, you do it our way or no way and guess what Apple agreed. But dont worry soon there wont be a CDMA network it will be WiMax and LTE so that makes it easier for the phone companies to produce phones.
  18. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    NO thats not the point, the point will be when a company comes out with a new phone it has to make it for all carriers, and thats the point. And that is what FCC will remove, in Europe you can use any phone with any provider. If you remember last year Apple tried there stunt in Europe and EU said no way, you do it our way or no way and guess what Apple agreed. But dont worry soon there wont be a CDMA network it will be WiMax and LTE so that makes it easier for the phone companies to produce phones.
    it is the point. So forcing them to make it in each technology will result in the phones being available at a inflated cost and possibly since these agreements are so lucrative a slower pace of innovation. You mention Freedom, what about a Free Market. That and $$$ is known to spark innovation. Not government mandates.
  19. #60  
    I've gotta take up for the OP on this one. I am fortunate to have a Pre which by seems to be one of the better of lot...no blotching, no overheating (does get warm, but so did my 755..only 2 at the most lockups, etc. All-in-all, I'm happy. However, being that I do visit this forum frequently and have read quite a bit of the post regarding HARDWARE issues, if I were a potential buyer, I would be a lil' concerned. I'm not a Pre fan nor am I an iPhone detractor. The OP has a valid point. No need to down him for his opinion. If this forum solely consisted of fans, then there would be less reason for me to visit. Let the posters have a personal opinion already. Let's be honest, if your phone has a software issues, it can fixed...if it's a hardware issue...well...you know...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions