Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'd buy that for a buck. I Still wanna know WHY palm chose a slider...jeesh. I'm getting more confident when i carry it around. I've gotten alot of use out of if I've watched a few movies, use it for music and nav almost everyday and respond to about 15-20 emails or txts each day. The more I use it the more confident I am that it'll make 2yrs...good thing Im premier just in case! but I do hope their is a TREO ULTIMATE "style" in the plans somewhere....
    That's a good observation. The more I use it, and the harder I push it, the more well-built it feels. The keyboard is a good example. It feels thin and like it might be a little flimsy if you're just using it for the first time. You're afraid you might break it. But if you really start hammering on it, you get a pretty solid feeling from pushing harder on the keys. The slider too feels more well-built if you really give it a good push open and push closed. It feels like it's grinding if you go slow and take it easy. I think the build quality (on the ones that don't have defects) is actually not too bad.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Those of you insulting the OP are demonstrating why these forums degenerate into flame wars. If you are not experiencing any problem, goody for you. Go read another thread and be happy.

As someone on their THIRD Pre, I agree with the OP that Palm has some serious QC issues. If Palm does not get out in front of this problem and either provide phone exchanges or force Sprint to provide phone exchanges -- especially for the cracked screen problem, the vocal minority of people with bad hardware will contact the many forums, blogs, journalists, etc.

I want Palm to succeed, but there is a definite problem with the hardware. Palm, please admit it and correct it.
    I'm sorry I haven't heard of anyone being denied an exchange within normal exchange rules by sprint or for that matter palm?. Should we stick something in their eye just in case they start making people keep there Pre after the 30 day Trial?

It is ridiculous to think palm owes you something because you've had bad luck with this phone model. Why not wait till the EoS comes out and get Webos with differant hardware??
    The phone does have build quality issues that Palm had to be aware of prior to the phone shipping. It's evident when Foxconn had a bad production run a few short weeks before launch. Palm on their own forums tells you that the phone does overheat, but turn off all of the features that we all bought a Pre for to stop it from doing so. I love my Pre, but my work phone, a HTC VX6800's slider, has been rock solid for over a year. My Pre slider in three weeks is already loose, causing the screen to shift to the right. I'm sure there will be hardware revisions to the phone.

Some of these issues are reminiscent of Microsoft with the Xbox 360. Microsoft rushed the system without a proper QC period. People were having overheating, red ring of doom, and other issues immediately after it was shipped. Fanboys like the ones on these boards were calling people trolls and liars when people claimed to have exchange multiple times or refused to buy it until the QC issues were fixed. Microsoft essentially ignored the issues until they were forced to legally to acknowledge them. At that point Microsoft kept upping the warranty period. It wasn't until this year with the Jasper units where they claimed they finally "got it right."
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Oh please... 1 post?... troll
    I think the OP was trying to draw conclusions based on our collective posts on this board. Based on that, I can understand what he said.

Do I agree with his posting? (No.)
    Do I think he went a bit overboard? (Probably yes.)
    Do I agree with his observation that the Pre has build issues? (Yes)

mrkalel, you really should try out a Pre. I think it's been pretty solid for me. Yes, I noticed one "build issue" with mine (the screen shows a washed out area (about the equivalent of 6-8 characters on one line of text) in the lower-right). The difference between my approach and yours is that I'm willing to give the Pre a chance and draw my conclusions based on both community feedback and personal experience.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    The phone does have build quality issues that Palm had to be aware of prior to the phone shipping. It's evident when Foxconn had a bad production run a few short weeks before launch. Palm on their own forums tells you that the phone does overheat, but turn off all of the features that we all bought a Pre for to stop it from doing so. I love my Pre, but my work phone, a HTC VX6800's slider, has been rock solid for over a year. My Pre slider in three weeks is already loose, causing the screen to shift to the right. I'm sure there will be hardware revisions to the phone.

Some of these issues are reminiscent of Microsoft with the Xbox 360. Microsoft rushed the system without a proper QC period. People were having overheating, red ring of doom, and other issues immediately after it was shipped. Fanboys like the ones on these boards were calling people trolls and liars when people claimed to have exchange multiple times or refused to buy it until the QC issues were fixed. Microsoft essentially ignored the issues until they were forced to legally to acknowledge them. At that point Microsoft kept upping the warranty period. It wasn't until this year with the Jasper units where they claimed they finally "got it right."
    I simply don't see the issues the pre has on the same level as the Xbox360. Bad comparison. Has your loose keyboard caused the phone to stop working? I'm sure palm with make revisions, every company does that. The pre is not perfect and will get "tighter" as they produce it. I am sure Palm has already had regrets over some aspects, but mark my words you will not see a recall or so much as an apology from palm.
    1. Because it's not warranted
    2. doing any of the above could cause them to fail.

My beef with the OP is his call on Palm to hault production based on a forum and without any lengthy hands on. Like me saying Microsoft should have simply stopped selling the xbox until they figured out the problem. The 3 rings of death while annoying did not affect everyone, so should everyone lose the pleasure of Dead Rising? NO and in addition it is common knowledge that Palm almost died and limped to the launch of the Pre. A recall or a freeze would be suicide.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The slider too feels more well-built if you really give it a good push open and push closed. It feels like it's grinding if you go slow and take it easy. I think the build quality (on the ones that don't have defects) is actually not too bad.
    I took your advice and stopped treating it like it would break in my hands if I applied any pressure. As I was experiencing the "grinding" when I opened it slowly. I put a little umph behind it when opening and closing the slider. Yeah.....It crashed on me. Not your fault for the advice as I'm positive it worked for you. But as I was reading the "slider crash thread" I was thinking..."thank god that isn't happening to me, that would suck." My solution, I just won't do that again. But in the long run this is unacceptable. Am I turning into a Pre basher? I hope it doesn't come off that way. I'm just a little disappointed in the build quality is all. But that's what warranties are for.
    Have you done it a number of times to make sure just not a fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    I put a little umph behind it when opening and closing the slider. Yeah.....It crashed on me. Not your fault for the advice as I'm positive it worked for you. But as I was reading the "slider crash thread" I was thinking..."thank god that isn't happening to me, that would suck." My solution, I just won't do that again.
    It should not do that at all. Go to sprint and show them what you did, get a replacement if need be. If that won't cut it for you return it and look for the next webos phone.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    From someone who had to exchange his Pre FOUR TIMES before he got one without dead pixels, you naysayers are lucky to not have had to deal with manufacturer defects, but they're abundant. I love my Pre now that I have a fully functioning one, but I wasn't about to accept a dead pixel out of company loyalty or fanboyism, as some of you suggest. It is possible to be enthusiastic about a device and frustrated by very real production problems.
    I have been called a liar by Sprint Customer Service in one of their stores.
    I have been told to pay the $100 for a warrantee claim.
    I have called palm and been offered an opportunity to pay over $400 to replace my phone.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I DID NOT DROP my phone.
    I DID NOT BUMP INTO ANYTHING.

I'm in the 30 day grace period.
    This WILL GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

Palm will be out of business if it does not admit it has a problem and it and SPRINT don't QUIT STONEWALLING
    I had to do that once. I wouldn't accept it either. But if Palm did what the OP recommends you would have your $$$ and be stuck with your previous model until a "fix" came out of the manufacture.
    Quote Originally Posted by across04 View Post
    I have been called a liar by Sprint Customer Service in one of their stores.
    I have been told to pay the $100 for a warrantee claim.
    I have called palm and been offered an opportunity to pay over $400 to replace my phone.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I DID NOT DROP my phone.
    I DID NOT BUMP INTO ANYTHING.

I'm in the 30 day grace period.
    This WILL GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

Palm will be out of business if it does not admit it has a problem and it and SPRINT don't QUIT STONEWALLING
    A cracked screen? Pony up the loot man.
    For the record, I had an original Palm Pilot and a treo 680 and loved it.
    I love the WebOS, and think it is the best out there.
    I want Palm to succeed.

I don't want to be treated as a LIAR by any company.
    The screen is cracked from the inside out.
    There is NOT ONE scratch anywhere on the exterior of the device.

My apology for getting harsh in this statement previously.

Its just that there are many ways a screen could crack.
    Dropping or pressing it against something are not the only ways.

There could be heat issues or other issues causing the internals to expand/contract, causing these problems.
    Last edited by across04; 06/22/2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Removed harsh tone, and added clarification.
    I agree with much of what the OP said. I am also someone going to his 3rd Pre and I'm growing very tired of this. And, frankly, the bash-everyone-that-says-something-I-don't-like people on this forum make it even more tiring. I would like to believe we live in a world of respectful tolerance and acceptance of others but I certainly don't see that reflected here.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I think the OP did a good job of framing up people who are on the fence. I am one of those people. I've been monitoring the boards to see about quality, etc. and it has put me into a position where I am waiting. I have had a Palm Treo 650 for 5 years, been with Sprint for over 10 years and have been waiting for a decent smartphone. The Pre seems to be it from a feature standpoint for me, but I'm worried about it being delicate. I don't want to have to go back and forth to the store, etc., like many people on this board have.

So, good job on framing up the thoughts of someone on the fence.

As for the halting production, I think the OP was really just venting his frustration over the choices that companies make these days, trading off quality for price and/or time-to-market. I don't think he truely wanted Palm to halt production.

Anyway, for me, it's more about the choices. I handled a Pre on two occasions at the Sprint store and it did feel a bit "cheap" and "delicate." No where near as solid as my Treo 650 nor my iPod Touch, which I handle rather poorly and they both hold up. Why would Palm go with such cheap materials on their "hail Mary" pass of a product. Also, why would they go the Apple route with the on-board memory? Why only 8GB and why no expansion slot? These are the choices they made fully aware of the potential consequences.

I really want to like this phone, but until I hear about and experiene better build quality, I'll be using my antiquated Treo 650 (no way I'm moving to AT&T and paying those monthly fees, not worth it - I'd consider an iPhone if Sprint came out with it).
    I'm starting to think that Palm wasn't kidding when they named this phone the "Pre." This is just a preview or precursor testbed for the better hardware, higher quality phones they'll release in the future (if they last that long).
    Quote Originally Posted by tozfeekum View Post
    sorry guys but he's right, the build quality of this phone compared to the iphone is just horrible. Every pre i've gotten has dead pixels and or light bleeding. I've had 5 iphones and none of them had those issues, or any other hardware issues. I might just be unlucky, who knows.
    Did those issues make the device unusable? I can understand for the price paid, one would expect a device without any flaws, but that seems to be the cost of being an early adopter.
    Quote Originally Posted by bostongio View Post
    After reading threads here and on other Pre forums, you come to the inevitable conclusion that the Palm Pre has serious quality control issues. The build quality is apparently all over the map, with some users having exchanged their handsets as many as 3 times to try and get a "good" one (meanwhile, I'm certain those returned handsets are going back out as refurbs after being quickly checked over, wiped, and cleaned up).

This is really too bad. Competing against a high build quality handset like the iPhone means it just stands out all the more. Between the screen blotches, the overheating, screen cracking, the slider becoming loose (or resetting the phone!), it just seems like someone is sleeping in the quality control department. However, some things, like the overheating issue, *had* to have been a "known issue" long before they started production. You had engineers using these things for months and they never noticed it get hot, causing the screen to blotch?!

Please, Palm, stop production and get it right! You are shooting yourselves in the foot with the poor build quality, and turning even your most positive advocates against you. This could very well be your swan song if you don't pay attention to these details. Your engineers have designed a great OS, but we need a reliable, high-quality handset to deliver it.

I am truly on the fence. I know how long it takes to tool up for production, so anyone thinking a new hardware version is coming any time soon is dreaming. But perhaps they could tighten up tolerances and increase QC more, and ensure their suppliers are engineering parts to spec.

I would buy a Pre in a second if it didn't have so many (and so variable) quality build issues. But I refuse to pay this kind of price and be locked into a new 2 year contract for a great new phone with no idea whether I'll be getting a dud or a decent handset. (And if I do get a dud, having to go through the hassle of going back and forth with the store -- which is not close -- for exchanges...)

I'll wait a little longer to see if any of this stuff gets better, but I'm disappointed that Palm skimped on these details when they sent the phone into production. As a Sprint customer for nearly a decade, I really would hate to leave them for the far inferior AT&T, but it's getting to the point where the lack of modern smartphone choices on Sprint is infuriating.

I want to believe and purchase the Pre, so please, get it together!!

Troll or not he is spot on. I DO have a Pre..and I love it! I was one of the lucky ones but even mine is on the edge. (i have my little piece of paper shoved in the battery!) I'm afraid to return it for fear of what I might get in exchange. Palm needs to get a handle on this. Unfortunately for all us early adopters by the time they do our 30 days will be up.

The kinks will get ironed out with WebOS I have no doubt..but to have the hardware be this shotty is inexcusable. Heads should roll at Palm. Don't flame me either...I love Palm and I love my Pre..but come ON! All you have to do is take a hard look at the device in your hand or read every other thread on this board to see they screwed up the hardware.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast