Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Soooooo

Over the weekend I got the new update and I love the phone so far. Anyways for the first time ever I logged into my AIM account. I found something I hated! It flooded my contacts list with JUST AIM names. I didn't think it would do this by default! Anyways does any one know a way to stop AOL from syncing with my contacts list? If any one knows that would be great! I did try figuring it out with no good find. Also I could not find it on the message boards.

Thanks Guys!
    There's no way to stop it from adding to the contacts list. You can, however, merge the aim contacts into other existing contacts.

One solution is to make a general contact for all AIM contacts, and merge them all there, although that means that any message that comes in will have that general contact name instead of their aim contact name.
    I don't think this is AOL's problem as much as it is Palm's. Palm should have given us a way to determine what sync's and what doesn't. Assuming we all wanted all our AIM accounts, every Facebook "friend" and every GMail send address in our contacts was just stupid.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The adding of EVERYONE from Gmail is one of the biggest complaints I have. This reason alone is why I have yet to add my AIM or Facebook accounts to the phone until I can pick and choose who I want "synergized" from my online accounts into my phonebook.
  5.    #5  
    Then this is just stupid. I even tryed getting rid of my AOL account but the contacts stay . This is the one item of the phone that is flawed. Its sorta sad. Now I wont sync my facebook. I will have to get rid of them one by one....
    ditto, I have yet to log onto AIM because I don't want all those contacts.

the ability to add buddy to contact would be good, but I don't want all of them saved to my default contacts. maarkov, nujik and skarydrunkguy are not contacts i need on my phone! :P
    This contacts synergy might be the least thought out thing Palm did.

Somebody at Palm thought "If they bring over their Facebook contacts into the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $lets$ $make$ $it$ $so$ $they$ can't delete individual contacts from their PrPrPr&#$275$;.&$quot$; ($I$'$m$ $sure$ $every$ $person$ $over$ $the$ $age$ $of$ $20$ $has$ $multiple$ $FB$ $friends$ $that$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $on$/$in$ $their$ $cell$ $phone$.)

Then they PrPrPr&#$275$; $developers$ $decided$, &$quot$;$If$ $they$ $bring$ $in$ $their$ $Google$ $contacts$, $no$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $consistent$ ($with$ $Facebook$) $so$ $let$'$s$ $let$ $them$ $delete$ $a$ $contact$ $from$ $the$ $phone$. $And$ $while$ $we$ $are$ $at$ $it$, $that$ $contact$ $will$ $disappear$ $from$ $their$ $Google$ $contacts$ $too$!&$quot$; ($Not$ $sure$ $about$ $you$, $but$ $my$ $email$ $list$ $contains$ $people$ $I$ $will$ $never$ $need$ $to$ $call$ $and$ $my$ $call$ $list$ $contains$ $people$ $I$ $won$'$t$ $ever$ $need$ $to$ $email$. $But$ $Palm$ $decrees$ $that$ $they$ $must$ $live$ $on$ $both$ $or$ $neither$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $smart$ $enough$ $to$ $pick$ $and$ $choose$ $who$ $goes$ $where$.)

I gave up AIM long ago, so I can't chime in on that, but I'm sure Palm and PrPrPr&#$275$; $force$ $some$ $things$ $that$ $aren$'$t$ $desirable$.

The only safe thing to do at this point is set up a brand new Gmail account that will be used only for working with contacts on your PrPrPr&#$275$;. $That$'$s$ $a$ $halfway$ $workaround$ $until$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $dedicated$ $Computer$-$to$-$Pr$&#$275$; $data$ $transfer$ $application$ $that$ $doesn$'$t$ $involve$ $going$ $through$ $the$ &$quot$;$cloud$&$quot$;.
    It wouldn't be so bad if they had separate contact "tabs" that allowed you to select from AIM Contacts, Facebook Contacts, Gmail Contacts, and Palm Contacts. Merging them all in to one big list seems to be the biggest complaint. I like that they are all recognized names in my phone, but I really dislike having them in my phone's contact area. Separating tabs would be the best option and not all that difficult to implement.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    i didn't think anybody used aol!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    My suggestion would be to just use Meebo mobile instead of using the built-in AIM features. Unfortunately there's no way to use AIM in that manner without it adding contacts, so Meebo is the best option right now (which I might add, it's very functional.)

I'd hope that either this drives Palm to tweak how the messaging/AIM integration works, or for AOL/someone else to release a standalone IM application.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    The thing that is most frutrating to me about contacts (aside from not being able to delete Facebook contacts), is that the phone will show the same number for a contact numerous times (if the phone is syncing numbers with multiple locations) when you use the contacts list on the dial pad screen.
    Why have people in your AOL buddy list if you don't want to contact them?

Once you spend a bit of time getting your stuff organized Synergy is much more functional.

- Clean up your Gmail address book
    - Clean up your Facebook Friends (i.e. don't friend people you don't care about)
    - Clean up your AIM buddy list

I think the Pre assumes you don't have useless names in your AIM/FB/Gmail contact lists, that's all.

Synergy forced me to organize all of these things, which ultimately helps in the long run.

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post

Once you spend a bit of time getting your stuff organized Synergy is much more functional.

- Clean up your Facebook Friends (i.e. don't friend people you don't care about)

I think the Pre assumes you don't have useless names in your AIM/FB/Gmail contact lists, that's all.

Synergy forced me to organize all of these things, which ultimately helps in the long run.

-n8
    I half agree.

Its a two way thing.

People are blaiming palm cause they have messy contacts. But at the same time Palm should let people pick and choose who they can update.

But I agree, i just went through my gmail contacts and got rid of everyone I will honestly never talk to ever again haha.
    It would be nice for them to let you pick and choose but I think their goal was to have a simple way to get everything synced with minimal customer interaction. My mail synced everyone and I really don't care. I just start typing the name of the person I want and it pops up so I never have to scroll through everything. I think they didn't want people to have to mess with setting sync/don't sync for each contact or setting up special profiles. You may disagree with their conclusion but I think it works out pretty well in the end.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    My AIM name is over a decade old and I'd say 99% of the people there I barely knew and don't necessarily want to have them bother me in the middle of the day with a "Yo, wuz up". So I just created a new name, added the few people I wouldn't mind chatting with (about 5 people) and merged them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    My AIM name is over a decade old and I'd say 99% of the people there I barely knew and don't necessarily want to have them bother me in the middle of the day with a "Yo, wuz up". So I just created a new name, added the few people I wouldn't mind chatting with (about 5 people) and merged them.
    Mine too. That's why I quit using AIM. Ever since I got Gmail with in-browser chat I haven't needed to bother installing a stand-alone chat program. It even allows you to log into AIM as well. I just keep Gmail open in a tab all the time and there's my chat.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The movie "You've Got Mail" should have been the first clue to everyone that AOL was headed south. It's been in steep decline ever since.
    I spoke to a Palm rep over the weekend and he informed me that they were in the process of fixing this so u can manually add your contacts or not...
    Well for me, AOL is primarily entertainment. I have a lot of contacts that are from chat, a handful I IM regularly, but I want my entertainment seperate from my personal contacts. Also I don't remember if AIM puts in all your recent contacts, which can be anyone who ever IM'd even once. Besides, some of those chat folx have ...um... unique... types of screen names. Should my sister scroll through my contacts looking for Aunt Theresa, I'd hate to have to explain ThicknHard9inch or MzThickBooty. I'm just sayin.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

-n8
    I see why people say this, but it's just not realistic. I think many people, myself included. have people on AIM or Facebook that they only talk to on those services. I have people that I speak to exclusively on Facebook - I don't need them in my phone for any reason. It's not a matter of having a million friends for the sake of having a million friends - different people have different relationships. Some people I only speak to on Facebook, others on AIM, and others I don't speak to except on the phone. I don't see whats so horrible about wanting to be able to fully customize who is and is not part of your Pre contacts list. I hope that by the time I can purchase this phone that I will be able to import just the "My Contacts" section of Gmail, keep my AIM buddy list segregated from my phone contacts, and be able to pick the people from Facebook I want to be linked to a contact on my Pre. Nothing wrong with customization!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast