Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  1.    #1  
    Am I missing something or is it not possible to view pdf files and emails in rotated 'landscape' mode?

Is there possibly a keyboard shortcut to rotate a pdf file in the pdf viewer?
    You're not missing anything, and no there is no shortcut that I am aware of! (but then again, I'm kinda new with this as well.)

From what I remember Portrait/Landscape views are only switchable in Web browser. Videos are Landscape ONLY, and other apps are portrait only.
  3.    #3  
    That is a let down... I love the pre, but surely this will be something they fix soon. It makes reading pdf files and some emails extremely cumbersome.
    Add the Sprint Nav to this list.
    Yeah, I hope they change this too.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I truly hope they work out the bug that you can't read an emailed .PDF file as well. C'mon, Palm, work with us here!
    Camera and Photos work with both portrait and landscape view too.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You can hack the pdf viewer to work in landscape with pre dev wiki: Application Mods: PDF Viewer
    anubhavaeron likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    You can hack the pdf viewer to work in landscape with pre dev wiki: Application Mods: PDF Viewer
    Have you done this? How do you access the code to change it?
    When you are done, is it glitchy, or does it work smoothly?
    Thanks for the tip.....
    Jason,
    You have become a proxy expert at getting pdf's to rotate, having cited success on no less than 2 occasions! I shall heckle you for small clues as to how to succeed, for I am a newbie!

So I went thru the wikipedia thing, where you load quilt to manage patches and also the palm-SDK install, as well as the windows/novacom terminal. Having accessed root, cited verbatim the scripts for quilt and optware (I am using 1.1.0, it is a new phone) I am now staring the patch I need in the face. However, under the "Applying patches" wiki section

I find myself looking for patches using:
    find /opt/src/modifications -name *.patch
    I have a list of tantalizing patches, but no mention of the pdf one you cite. Further, the wiki article itself on pdf rotate has a code block at the bottom but does not cite a simple download command.

So my question is this: how do I turn the information from said article into a patch that works. I assume that you already did this. In fact, I'm hoping that a patch is out there somewhere, and you can help us meet.

Thanks in advance,
    Rik
    Quote Originally Posted by rikaspinall View Post
    Jason,
    You have become a proxy expert at getting pdf's to rotate, having cited success on no less than 2 occasions! I shall heckle you for small clues as to how to succeed, for I am a newbie!

So I went thru the wikipedia thing, where you load quilt to manage patches and also the palm-SDK install, as well as the windows/novacom terminal. Having accessed root, cited verbatim the scripts for quilt and optware (I am using 1.1.0, it is a new phone) I am now staring the patch I need in the face. However, under the "Applying patches" wiki section

I find myself looking for patches using:
    find /opt/src/modifications -name *.patch
    I have a list of tantalizing patches, but no mention of the pdf one you cite. Further, the wiki article itself on pdf rotate has a code block at the bottom but does not cite a simple download command.

So my question is this: how do I turn the information from said article into a patch that works. I assume that you already did this. In fact, I'm hoping that a patch is out there somewhere, and you can help us meet.

Thanks in advance,
    Rik
    Lol, I sited the success of my beta testers and friends. If you want a VERY easy way to enable pdf viewers to change orientation, try downloading WebOS Quick Install. Then in the menu, go Tools->Tweaks. Then just click the "PDF Viewer working also in landscape" checkbox. Your Pre will refresh its GUI and it's done and applied
    Ah young sir, you are a smart one. But wait...
    Well, firstly thanks for attempting to fix the problem yourself (i.e the quick install program). When I have learned a little more, that is the way I would approach the problem too. But your quick install program has a bug, methinks. Having checked the box (which was, by the way, a whole lot easier than learning linux) I find that when I open a pdf, the screen flashed open, did not render the first page, and closed promptly again, leaving me on the pdf file list. I noted a quick shadow (similar to the card view), which was modified in the landscape direction (maybe the window orienting part works) before the pdf closed again.

I see that wiki article had one or two corrections to make it work with 1.1.0. In any case, the changes roll back once I uncheck the box, so it is not a problem. One note - I am using large-ish ebook pdfs ~1-2Mb, with scanned in images as opposed to generated text.

Good luck fixing the bug, if it is one, and let me know if you have seen this before/have other advice - as incentive I shall dangle promise of donation for useful services to humanity upon completion
    I believe the trouble is the fault of the PDF Viewer application. For example, load the Pre User Guide (sorry, I am still not allowed to post links yet - but it is available on Palm's web site under Support, Downloads, Guides) on your phone. Load the document up in the PDF Viewer. Use the "Bookmarks" feature to browse the document. Jump to page 20 - no problem - displays perfectly (portrait OR landscape). Now advance to page 21 which contains an image, or jump via bookmark to pages 22, 23, 24 or 25. Instead of getting the page, I get a message titled !!! Error !!!, stating, "PDF Viewer has encountered an error. We apologize for the inconvenience. Error message: Render document failed." There is a button labeled "Done". Clicking on that closes the application.
    Hi Jason,

You've been an inspiration for many to continue with Webos Mobiles.

I was unable to do the update to document-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $for$ $changing$ $the$ $enable$ $to$ $landscape$ $view$.

I have quickinstall installed and I accessed the Linux commandline from it.

The following were performed. As I am new to Linux I was unable to find a way to get into document-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $modify$ $it$ $as$ $per$ $your$ $guidance$. $I$ $used$ $the$ $vi$ $command$ $to$ $enter$ $document$-$assistant$.$js$ $file$ $but$ $was$ $unable$ $to$ $find$ $the$ $code$.

Thanks in Advance Jason.

root@AnubhavAeronsHPPre3:/# cd /usr/palm
    cd /usr/palm
    root@AnubhavAeronsHPPre3:/usr/palm#
    root@AnubhavAeronsHPPre3:/usr/palm# ls
    ls
    XT9 ls2
    applications nodejs
    command-resource-handlers.json ondevicedemo
    data public
    default-dock-positions.json services
    emoticons smartkey