Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now I think no matter how much we all love our pres it is hard to deny that the iphone flat out has a slightly better and more accurate touchscreen

I am finding that I have to press harder on my pre for it to register and where I thought I pressed is not where it registers, I've learned to compensate for it by pressing higher than where it looks like I should

Reminds me of my tablet pc which doesn't quite seem deadon with multitouvh

Anyone else have this be the case? Almost seems like a calibration would fix it. The screen recognizes touch just fine just not always as accurate as it should

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've noticed it myself in certain instances. I think the iPhone's algorithm for deciding where you were actually trying to touch is better than the one in the Pre.

I am 86.7% convinced that Palm will address it in a future update.

Yes. 86.7%.
    The first day i got my Pre i also felt the touch screen acuracy left something to be desired and the lack of acuracy needed to be learned so I could compensate for it. And I pulled my hairout seeing if there was anyway to recalibrate the screen like I could on my Palm Treo Phone's.
    Hmm...the only time I've noticed this is when I'm in the web browser. Double taps seem to go unaccounted for sometimes, hitting a link when it's super damn small is also harder than on the iPod Touch I have. Besides that, I haven't had problems.
    No problems here and I also use my iPod Touch every day.
    I absolutely agree, I'm coming from the original iphone, on it I could literally nail any link no matter how small, I'm getting better on the pre but it has some catching up to do, like when you tap on a search bar, on the iphone it zooms right in, on the pre it stays way back unless you doubletap, and for instance I'm writing this on mt pre and when my cursor goesoff the screen the screen doesn't follow, on iphone it does, m just thinking if their plan was to pretty much steal safari, why not actually steal the darn thing, we need a way to get to the top of a screen without having to scroll through a million pages,
    The reason the iPhone is easier with touching, is because the screen is physically bigger. Bigger screen at the same resolution = bigger area for your finger.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Now I think no matter how much we all love our pres it is hard to deny that the iphone flat out has a slightly better and more accurate touchscreen

I am finding that I have to press harder on my pre for it to register and where I thought I pressed is not where it registers, I've learned to compensate for it by pressing higher than where it looks like I should

Reminds me of my tablet pc which doesn't quite seem deadon with multitouvh

Anyone else have this be the case? Almost seems like a calibration would fix it. The screen recognizes touch just fine just not always as accurate as it should

Thoughts?
    There is no "press harder"... the Pre, like the iPhone, has a capacitative touchscreen.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by posguy99 View Post
    There is no "press harder"... the Pre, like the iPhone, has a capacitative touchscreen.
    It is the way the hardware is setup. The iphone has a glass screen and registers almost immediately.

Look again this is not a big deal but it exists.

the iphone is pretty damn good at recognizing your touch and they compliment that with large icons so it hides any lack of accuracy.

I think that they created mobile safari to be a bit smarter than usual to take away the appearance of touch innacuracies.

on the PRE if you have the slider out and i lay the phone on a table it does require "more effort" to get it to recognize a touch.

This doesnt really matter for icons and such since they are large.

This is more obvious in the browser or when trying to edit an email in line text and such.

on the iphone they had a touch screen sensitivity hack that allowed you to adjust those settings so I know they exist for capacitive screens so maybe the SMALL issue can be fixed in an update.

Also a calibration would not be a HORRIBLE idea , I mean touch all 4 corners, and other points in between just to make sure it was on and thatd be all.
    I actually think the sensitivity and accuracy is quite good. I have no problems hitting even small targets. I love the tap animation--really helps you see where the phone thinks you're touching. Sometimes I am more accurate if I tap a little harder because this deforms the pad of my finger a bit more, causing the center of the touch to be more like where I think my finger is. Otherwise, the tip of the pad of your finger is probably a little higher than where you perceive it to be. It also depends on the angle of your finger.

But I never feel frustrated in using it. I generally feel that the tap is about where I wanted it to be.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    I never feel frustrated was just noting this
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by posguy99 View Post
    Thank God someone knows the difference between capacitive and resistive screens! I am having just the opposite experience, if I even look at the screen to long it opens a program lol. Honestly I barely even have to touch the screen. i think it is just as good if not better than my Iphone was.
    I was def more accurate on my treo. Could hit a particular character in an emailetc everytime. Hardly used my stylus. It is probably MORE sensitive and that's the prob.

Also agree about not following the cursor off the screen - whether it is to the side or even the bottom where icons cover it.

I seem to recall that the iphone learned how you touched and adapted. That may have only been for the keyboard though.
  14.    #14  
    I know what the difference between capacitive and resistive screen

Can any thread not turn into a pissing war about knowledge? Seriously its just a commentary based on my experience with both phones. I am not claiming the phone is somehow inferior to this and experiences may vary.

More sensitive? Maybe not mine then because if I have the slide out and lay it on a table and touch the screen it wont register it as well as my iphone does.

These things always turn into someone telling me that their is actually the exact opposite.

Its like when you discuss framerates in games. I always end up getting told "I actually get 200FPS" even though the average is 100 and our hardware is the same.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I know what the difference between capacitive and resistive screen

Can any thread not turn into a pissing war about knowledge? Seriously its just a commentary based on my experience with both phones. I am not claiming the phone is somehow inferior to this and experiences may vary.

More sensitive? Maybe not mine then because if I have the slide out and lay it on a table and touch the screen it wont register it as well as my iphone does.

These things always turn into someone telling me that their is actually the exact opposite.

Its like when you discuss framerates in games. I always end up getting told "I actually get 200FPS" even though the average is 100 and our hardware is the same.
    Actually I am not having a pissing war. Also It is not someone just saying the opposite my screen is ultra sensitive, the first Pre I returned was not. There can be several reasons for this as you know being a Senior Technology Manager. In my opinion Palm rushed the phone out because people were tired of waiting. They previewed it to early then took forever to launch (they probably should have waited a bit longer) and we got a sort of beta unit as a result. The software is great and only getting better but I think maybe the production process is a bit lax. My first Pre had a ton of dead pixels a s well as other issues. my Best Buy only had 2 on launch, first one didn't work and I just told you about the second. After 2 weeks Best Buy got 1 more in so I exchanged mine . This time only one dead pixel you can barely see on the boot up screen but my keyboard twists like an Oreo. I just got off of the phone with Palm they are over-nighting me a new unit. Cross your fingers! I love this phone.
    No issues with mine. It's nearly perfect.
    Sometimes my Pre doesn't respond when I touch the screen. However, this seems to be more related to my impatience, like if it's loading the photos app and I try to touch something before it's done loading.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Sometimes my Pre doesn't respond when I touch the screen. However, this seems to be more related to my impatience, like if it's loading the photos app and I try to touch something before it's done loading.
    I wanted to mention that too. If it is loading something I have experienced the same no response.
  19.    #19  
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistermarc View Post
    I absolutely agree, I'm coming from the original iphone, on it I could literally nail any link no matter how small, I'm getting better on the pre but it has some catching up to do, like when you tap on a search bar, on the iphone it zooms right in, on the pre it stays way back unless you doubletap, and for instance I'm writing this on mt pre and when my cursor goesoff the screen the screen doesn't follow, on iphone it does, m just thinking if their plan was to pretty much steal safari, why not actually steal the darn thing, we need a way to get to the top of a screen without having to scroll through a million pages,
    I agree as well.. they can work on their algorithm to register "in area" object that could trigger events. And I've already submitted a feature request to zoom in on the textfield upon click.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast