Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Anyone coming from a iphone will notice the Pre is not as accurate in the touch department. With the iphonw you can touch and the phone does a very good job of knowing what you are hitting. This is especially true on forums and hitting page 1 or 2 when in full view. With the pre I jave to zoom in much farther to get an accurate tap.

Also the browser doesn't recognize the double tap zoom nearly as well as the iphone and lets not even talk about the ridiculous amount of checker boarding when scrolling.

Lets just say Palm's browser has a lot of catching up to do.
    Ok I've noticed that the screen goes Gaga when plugged in to charge. If I tap or try to drag...it does all kinds of jumps and mumps that I've never experienced before. Very weird.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I thought I would ask my question here. Since 1.3.1 when I am in a browser window and click a link, the screen shows I have touched by showing that touch ripple thing and also the link will briefly highlight as if the link has been clicked but nothing will happen. I will press the link about 3 times before the browser will actually go to the new page. This only happens in the browser, no where else in the phone. A good example is while in this forum I press the page 2 link and nothing happens until press 3 or 4. Is this a common problem or do you think this is specific to my phone? Should I run the WebOS doctor?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have this too.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I have noticed the same issue ststed by keri2000. 50% of the time I have to do 2 or 3 taps on a hyperlink to activate it. It wasn't this way prior to 1.3.1.
    I know that when it comes to the on-screen keyboard in the iPhone/iPod Touch there is an algorithm in place that will select the correct key even if you don't hit it spot-on - just getting close is enough. Additionally, the keyboard also incorporates auto-correction to assist in guessing the correct key based on the word it thinks you're typing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this extends elsewhere, like in Safari. When browsing with my Touch, I never really have to think about clicking a link exactly on as I do with the Pre's browser, it just seems to pick the right link as long as I'm pretty close to it.

So maybe the Pre's accuracy can be resolved via an update?

I do also notice a bit of "lag" in registering a click in the browser, I get the impression (and this is just a guess!) that the browser is checking for clicks every x amount of time - don't have your finger on the screen when it checks then it doesn't get recognized even if the screen itself is showing that there was a click. I'm finding that if I keep my finger held down for a little longer then it's all good but it does make the interface feel like it's sluggish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    I agree with that too, there needs to be a way to quickly return to the top of a web page when viewing, like in the iphone / ipod touch.
    There is a patch (MultiMod, I think) that will go to the top of a webpage when browsing when you press the backspace key.
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I thought I would ask my question here. Since 1.3.1 when I am in a browser window and click a link, the screen shows I have touched by showing that touch ripple thing and also the link will briefly highlight as if the link has been clicked but nothing will happen. I will press the link about 3 times before the browser will actually go to the new page. This only happens in the browser, no where else in the phone. A good example is while in this forum I press the page 2 link and nothing happens until press 3 or 4. Is this a common problem or do you think this is specific to my phone? Should I run the WebOS doctor?
    If you notice, when you touch the screen you get the "splash" where a small circle pops up then expands. If the link you are trying to click is smaller that the inner circle and you don't have it centered, it won't activate. It will highlight the link meaning a "near miss."

I personally like it better this way, but I can see where it can be frustrating. They should have included a setting for choosing your own level of sensitivity for clicks instead of hard-coding it. That way, everyone would be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I actually think the sensitivity and accuracy is quite good. I have no problems hitting even small targets. I love the tap animation--really helps you see where the phone thinks you're touching. Sometimes I am more accurate if I tap a little harder because this deforms the pad of my finger a bit more, causing the center of the touch to be more like where I think my finger is. Otherwise, the tip of the pad of your finger is probably a little higher than where you perceive it to be. It also depends on the angle of your finger.

But I never feel frustrated in using it. I generally feel that the tap is about where I wanted it to be.
    I 100% agree. The tap animation helped train me quickly. I used an iphone 3G for about 6 months and I was constantly frustrated when tapping in text. I was always 4 or 5 characters off. On the Pre 50% of the time I am dead on, the other 50% I am 1 character off. Then its a quick alt->drag away from the right letter. The only place I get annoyed is with the web browser, I am constantly mysteriously bumping links when scrolling. It seems to constantly get worse.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    If you notice, when you touch the screen you get the "splash" where a small circle pops up then expands. If the link you are trying to click is smaller that the inner circle and you don't have it centered, it won't activate. It will highlight the link meaning a "near miss."

I personally like it better this way, but I can see where it can be frustrating. They should have included a setting for choosing your own level of sensitivity for clicks instead of hard-coding it. That way, everyone would be happy.
    No kidding! I had no idea about this. I have begun to pinch zoom on the links to hit them dead center and it has helped. Thanks for the info. I truly thought that the highlighted link meant I hit it, not nearly hit it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123