Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Agree with the opp. It's actually really annoying playing 'zoom in roulette' with a website hoping that it actually targets a block of text in the first two taps. I've also noticed I need to tap the top left and right corners multiple times to get them to show up-either I'm off, the calibration is off, or it actually registered and just takes forever to load.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Sometimes my Pre doesn't respond when I touch the screen. However, this seems to be more related to my impatience, like if it's loading the photos app and I try to touch something before it's done loading.
    That happens to me too.. but usually it responds when I touch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistermarc View Post
    I absolutely agree, I'm coming from the original iphone, on it I could literally nail any link no matter how small, I'm getting better on the pre but it has some catching up to do, like when you tap on a search bar, on the iphone it zooms right in, on the pre it stays way back unless you doubletap, and for instance I'm writing this on mt pre and when my cursor goesoff the screen the screen doesn't follow, on iphone it does, m just thinking if their plan was to pretty much steal safari, why not actually steal the darn thing, we need a way to get to the top of a screen without having to scroll through a million pages,
    I agree with that too, there needs to be a way to quickly return to the top of a web page when viewing, like in the iphone / ipod touch.
    Noticed this too while browsing through forums and trying to click on thread titles. usually requires two tries to get it right
    The difference some report in sensitivity may be related to the person, as well as the device. Some people have more conductive skin than others. Even for one person, it can vary from one time to another. I don't have a Pre, but I notice on other capacitive devices that I have a much harder time when my skin is very dry.

One other thing: I recall a post, early after the release of the Pre, comparing the capacitive grid of the Pre and iPhone, and reporting the grid on the iPhone had many more wires, much closer together. This could explain why the iPhone seems more accurate and, if so, the difference won't be made up with a software patch.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmGirl23 View Post
    Like a few people have noted, touch response is not great a lot of the time. My pre simply will not respond to very deliberate touches. Sometimes it takes 3-5 slow, hard, deliberate pokes to get a response--especially the notices. Rebooting the phone improves the touch responsiveness but eventually it goes back to it's old ways. It's very annoying. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
    why dont ya carry around a stylus with ya? or a pen that you twist open and close and just keep the pen closed for your screen... obviously you'll need a screen protector for the second one but why wouldn't ya have one for a $300 phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmGirl23 View Post
    I would too

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Yes, this issue is still happening to me. Its very frustrating coming from the iPhone which is very accurate and never suffered these touch screen and scrolling issues.
    Coming from a mogul where using it without a stylus was a chore, I've found the screen to be exceptionally accurate. And I have big, stubby, fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybob365 View Post
    why dont ya carry around a stylus with ya? or a pen that you twist open and close and just keep the pen closed for your screen... obviously you'll need a screen protector for the second one but why wouldn't ya have one for a $300 phone?
    Will a normal stylus work on a capacitive touch screen?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I think its safe to say that styli are evil..
    felt like mine got worse after 1.0.3.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Seems like I read on day 2 or 3 after release, a post somewhere (here or Palm's "official" forums) about how to calibrate the touch screen. No luck finding it after a quick search though.

Still, I did find something called a hardware test that may do the trick:
    • Launch Device Info.
    • Scroll to the bottom and tap "More Info"
    • Make sure you're on the Hardware side and tap "Preferences" (top left)
    • Choose "Interactive Tests..."
    • Choose "Touch Sensors"

Hope this helps someone.

For the record, I'm having no troubles with my screen so I don't know if the tests would fix anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by tadnishida View Post
    Will a normal stylus work on a capacitive touch screen?
    I don't believe a normal one will work.

Does anyone make a stylus that does? For most things, a finger works ok, but running apps in Classic can be frustrating.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
    In my opinion Palm rushed the phone out because people were tired of waiting. They previewed it to early then took forever to launch (they probably should have waited a bit longer) and we got a sort of beta unit as a result. The software is great and only getting better but I think maybe the production process is a bit lax.
    I think you hit the nail on the head ! Palm previewed the phone way too early. To an extent, I can understand because Palm was desperate to generate buzz However, that put them under extreme pressure to finally release the Pre. From a software standpoint, the issue with signal strength is a big detractor from just how amazing webOS is as a 1.0 product. From a hardware standpoint we're dealing with more issues than I would expect...even from a new product.

In my opinion, the signal strength is the bigger issue because you can get a replacement for hardware issues and, from my experience, Sprint is being very responsive in replacing Pre's with hardware issues (I'm on my 2nd Pre)

I'd love to believe that Palm can put out a firmware upgrade before the 30 day period is up for those of us that got the Pre on launch day, but I think that's being unrealistic. The iPhone 3G had signal issues at launch (though the underlying cause is prob. different) and it took Apple serveral months to put out a fix that worked.
    I often wish it wasn't so accurate. I accidentally press things by barely brushing the screen with barely a finger touch all the time.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I often wish it wasn't so accurate. I accidentally press things by barely brushing the screen with barely a finger touch all the time.
    I KNOW! Me too!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i found that one firm, deliberate touch and slight hold works a lot better than just a tap.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    In my case, I found that there is sometime a slight delay when touching an icon or something on screen and that if I just wait a moment it will normally respond correctly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast