Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89
  1. roninj's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I felt EXACTLY the same way you are feeling coming from 2 years on an iPhone. But the more I use my Pre, the more I love it. The notification system, the multitasking, and synergy are what is keeping me from returning my Pre. I am just sick of Apple and the iPhone, while very nice, was losing its appeal, especially since 3.0 did not really add a whole lot.

    My biggest grip still is the slowness of the UI. Things dont scroll as smoothly as the iPhone, and apps do take a bit to load. However, we all know WebOS and the Pre was rushed out the door, and optimizations usually happen at the very end. I honestly think Palm will iron out these issues relatively quickly, and we'll have the performance and scrolling smoothness we are used to on the iPhone very soon.

    Some of the performance issues seem like debug logging code. I am developer myself, and logging can really chug animations and performance. Once Palm fixes some of these glaring bugs, I think they'll focus on speed improvements and new features.

    And again, the more I use the phone in real world situations, the less I miss my iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drjt82 View Post
    I used the iphone for roughly two years and I can say that I was not planning to part with it...however atts rate plans are a tad outrageous considering I get the same functionality from sprint for about 50 dollars less...but the transition has been relatively easy like the iphone the UI on the pre is equisite on par with the iphone....I will agree on the point that some apps are generally a bit sluggish (mainly on start up) but as mentioned this is to be expected from a 1.0 device the pre will only get better and become more and more efficient...I would recommend sticking with the iphone for job purposes until WebOs is debugged but then my friend you will have a truly difficult decision on your hands....cheers
    Ditto. I could not have said it better myself. I used the iPhone 2G from almost day one, and it was far from perfect. For what it is, this phone is great (price, built-in features, hackable, etc.), and it gets better by the day. For now, just leave a few of your most used applications open so you don't have to reload.
  2. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Yeah thats my point, I am not trying to down the phone at all. In fact I gave up my iphone for this phone.

    I am a paying consumer and hence I have no loyalty to brand names only.
    Yeah. It's a really strange thing to be labeled as an iPhone fanboy despite the fact that someone switched from the iPhone to the Pre. This is exactly why brand loyalty is a bad thing. As a long time Mac user then I've had to wade through the sea of idiots who feel "critiquing a product you own" to be the same as "punting a puppy over a fence". These aren't products we gave birth to, these are products we paid for.

    Anyway, maybe the board should split a new category because even though some people would prefer the board be a support group where they can trade positive energy, discussions like this are actually constructive to the future of the platform.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Yeah. It's a really strange thing to be labeled as an iPhone fanboy despite the fact that someone switched from the iPhone to the Pre. This is exactly why brand loyalty is a bad thing. As a long time Mac user then I've had to wade through the sea of idiots who feel "critiquing a product you own" to be the same as "punting a puppy over a fence". These aren't products we gave birth to, these are products we paid for.

    Anyway, maybe the board should split a new category because even though some people would prefer the board be a support group where they can trade positive energy, discussions like this are actually constructive to the future of the platform.
    it was very difficult to follow your post.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyBlueWind View Post
    First of all, let me clarify that this is not a Palm-Pre bashing or iPhone-fanboying thread.

    I've been a loyal Palm user since Palm V. Currently I have iPhone 3G, but previous to that I also had Treo 650 and Treo 755p, both from Sprint.

    There was some mess up by Spring with my Personal and Business accounts that both became unusable (cannot receive or make calls) and couldn't keep my number without porting over other carrier. So at that time, I moved to the iPhone bandwagon.

    Although I don't like Apple and don't want to be associated with the Apple Fanboys (I really don't like Apple - but their products are really good), but I must admit that iPhone is the best cellphone out there in my opinion. Both in its appearance and functionality.

    Ever since I heard about the launching of new Palm (Pre), I've been very excited and finally I pulled my trigger 2 days ago and got mine. After reading various reviews and threads, however, I was skeptical of the quality of the hardware and the software, but I decided to give it a shot and see if I want to cancel iPhone account and migrate back to Sprint with Pre.

    My first impression was... wow this phone feels great in my hand. But, the quality of the hardware is inferior to that of iPhone. Pre feels like just any other smartphones out there, nothing special, nothing sexy about it. It was disappointing but none of the Palm products had any hint of sexyness, so that wasn't a deal breaker.

    My biggest and foremost gripe of Pre is... its performance, or the lack thereof. It's sooooooooooooo slow and sluggish. Every app that I try to launch takes 2-3 seconds minimum. iPhone does its UI trick to hide the loading, but considering Pre has much faster CPU, I was hoping it to be at least par with 3G but it's not. Even though there is no other card open, it takes so long to open things. Even making phone calls takes so long (compared to iPhone) if there is some other apps opened. If nothing is opened, at least the phone module comes out quickly, but opening Contacts is so darn slow even if nothing is opened - and I now only have about 40 or so contacts only! If there are about 3 cards or more opened, even the phone modules slows down and sometimes it takes 10 or so seconds to respond to my touches properly.

    Exchange Email and Calendar are key functions for my job. Although Palm Pre is doing okay in those aspects, I feel that they are not very refined in Pre and things are presented and handled better in iPhone

    I'd love to love Pre. I would take it over iPhone any day as long as its performance and the utility are on par with iPhone. But at this time, nothing is on par. (Of course, there are things Pre is much better than iPhone, but I don't think they are really big deal that can overcome the current shortcomings.)

    ex-iPhone owners, how do you feel? Only if the speed was acceptable, I wouldn't even considering returning Pre. But I am not quite certain if I can throw the usefulness of iPhone now and just live with Pre. I wonder if Palm would be able to optimize the webOS significantly anytime soon. Hmmm.

    P.S. Also, howcome even Palm's own website is not optimized for Palm Pre? what's up with that?
    Don't know if its been said previously here but...

    How long has the iPhone been out and OS updated?
    How long has the Pre been out and OS updated?
    Why would you think that the Pre would or even SHOULD be at the level of the iPhone performance right now?
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaphoidfx View Post
    Don't know if its been said previously here but...

    How long has the iPhone been out and OS updated?
    How long has the Pre been out and OS updated?
    Why would you think that the Pre would or even SHOULD be at the level of the iPhone performance right now?
    Because Palm had 2 years to learn from Apple, and also has one of their former execs in charge of WebOS.

    I was a former iPhone owner, went to the Pre, then back to the 3GS. It's just a more "ready" product, especially hardware-wise. The Pre shows incredible potential though, and WebOS is quite slick. Can't wait to see it again in 2 years.

    -n8
  6. roninj's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Because Palm had 2 years to learn from Apple, and also has one of their former execs in charge of WebOS.

    I was a former iPhone owner, went to the Pre, then back to the 3GS. It's just a more "ready" product, especially hardware-wise. The Pre shows incredible potential though, and WebOS is quite slick. Can't wait to see it again in 2 years.

    -n8
    You're right, and they definitely took advantage of that time. I see many similarities . Ideally, they probably would have liked to introduce this in August so that they would have more time to polish it, but I think given the constraints they did a damn fine job. As for me, I'm staying in this pool, because I think the water is just fine. See you in a couple years then.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Because Palm had 2 years to learn from Apple, and also has one of their former execs in charge of WebOS.

    I was a former iPhone owner, went to the Pre, then back to the 3GS. It's just a more "ready" product, especially hardware-wise. The Pre shows incredible potential though, and WebOS is quite slick. Can't wait to see it again in 2 years.

    -n8
    Hah awesome point that I did not even mention.

    Look it IS FAIR to compare current products.

    It is absolutely fair. If webos had come out the same day iphone os 1.0 came out, I would have compared it to that.

    Why would I compare a 2009 product to a 2007 one? seriously?
  8. #48  
    Speaking strictly for myself, this is a dumb tangent. I don't care if you compare the Pre to the 2007 iPhone, the 2009 iPhone or even the 2013 iPhone. The point remains the same: EVERY smartphone is missing "basic" features that other smartphones have.

    Why can't I change the iPhone look and feel to what I want without voiding the warranty and risking bricking it?

    Why isn't there an Android phone with a standard audio jack?

    Why can I choose every Windows Mobile form factor possible except for a capacitive full touchscreen?

    It goes on and on. There will be a few features the Pre won't have anytime soon...and some it will never have. This is a dumb criterion because it applies to ALL smartphones, including every iteration of the iPhone.
  9. ndawes's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #49  
    I love Apple - I switched to their computers in 2001. I have 4 or 5 of them now, doing all sorts of great things for me. I have an Apple TV (great), I stood in line to get the 1st Iphone on Day 1 - It was great. i stood in line on Launch day of the 3D Iphone, it was even better. The Apps store is great too... But. I just ported over my and my wife's Iphones to Sprint and bought two Palm Pres. Why??? Five reasons:
    1. My Iphone was dropping calls all the time, even though I had full bars
    2. At least where I live, I think ATT's data service is overloaded - I got poor data performance.
    3. Despite Loyal purchases on release day of Each Iphone, ATT want me to pay 499 to get the 3GS on launch day. Who cares about the loyal Iphone fans now, they just want the new subscribers.
    4. ATT are off-their-heads with their data plan pricing!!!
    5. I love Web OS and the way Palm have designed the Pre interface - to be honest, the Iphone is great, but it's getting old now. The Pre just seems to do thing in a way I feel more comfortable with.

    I think Apple is playing the incremental game. Few improvements for a lot of cost. No video on 3G - have to have 3GS - A HW limitation my Arse... This is being locked out to force upgrade.

    Ok It's not all rosy with the Pre though:
    1. Signal goes up and down like a whores draws, for no apparent reason.
    2. Battery life is poor - this needs to be addressed - urgently - it's really bad
    3. Random switch off - happened once, so could be an anomaly, but I see others have had this issue
    4. GUI response is a little slow
    5. Not enough apps yet - but I believe they will come
    6. No Video recording
    7. 8GB memory
    8. Exchange support seems to have various issues

    But - I would not switch back to the IPhone. I really like this phone and would highly recommend it. I see how good it is and how great it will become with some more development.

    It's a very impressive start!!!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Speaking strictly for myself, this is a dumb tangent. I don't care if you compare the Pre to the 2007 iPhone, the 2009 iPhone or even the 2013 iPhone. The point remains the same: EVERY smartphone is missing "basic" features that other smartphones have.

    Why can't I change the iPhone look and feel to what I want without voiding the warranty and risking bricking it?

    Why isn't there an Android phone with a standard audio jack?

    Why can I choose every Windows Mobile form factor possible except for a capacitive full touchscreen?

    It goes on and on. There will be a few features the Pre won't have anytime soon...and some it will never have. This is a dumb criterion because it applies to ALL smartphones, including every iteration of the iPhone.
    i don't mean to be rude here, but what's your point?

    you're completely being neutral and are not contributing to the topic of the thread.
  11. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #51  
    For me (a super geek), the WebOS is far superior. For most, it might be a bit more challenging to use, have no support for a gaming platform, and be a bit premature. With this said, Im OK being an early adopter, and really needed a break from my iPhone.

    My major concern currently is the responsiveness of the touch screen. The latest update did minimal improvements and Im still worried they have used an inferior digitizer. The responsiveness of the touch screen and ability to scroll, stop, scroll again is chunky at best.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Because Palm had 2 years to learn from Apple, and also has one of their former execs in charge of WebOS.

    I was a former iPhone owner, went to the Pre, then back to the 3GS. It's just a more "ready" product, especially hardware-wise. The Pre shows incredible potential though, and WebOS is quite slick. Can't wait to see it again in 2 years.

    -n8
    Exactly what the Pre blind defenders keep ignoring:

    First, fact is Palm did a lousy job polishing up Web Os before release. Sure it's a 1.0 blah blah blah, whatever. So you polish up what you got, instead what they did was leave it with lacking some key functionality AND polish. Hello crappy battery life? Hello reception issues? Hello slow UI. Fine fine, I am sure 100 people here are going to say "But no, you're just doing whatever wrong!" Fine. Still doesnt explain the sheer number of people and reviewers saying these 3 same facts.

    Second, and despite all the defenders, the fact that so many reviewers and owners are complaining about low quality hardware and the bad keyboard design means that it is a bother to more than just a few people so it is a legitimate complaint. I hope that Palm survives to make a new phone cause while WebOs is great, the Pre is not impressive hardware.

    Flame on.
  13. #53  
    Never had an iPhone and never wanted one. I've seen my friends, but the iPhone just didn't have the applications I wanted nor did the potential look like it would get there. The Apple app store is so closed that people couldn't even right a stereo bluetooth application.

    What I like about the iPhone is that it has speakers so that you don't always have to have headsets with you, but it's not enough to pay the monthly fee for AT&T. I know about the iTouch, but I can get 120GB iPhod for less than the price of a 16 GB Touch.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoresrock View Post
    i don't mean to be rude here, but what's your point?

    you're completely being neutral and are not contributing to the topic of the thread.
    Huh? Actively refuting what other people are saying is "neutral"? What do you consider subjective? Me punching them in the face?
  15. #55  
    Ok coming from an JailBroke Iphone on Tmo here. Do I miss the Iphone? Sometimes YES. Do I like what the Pre is giving me? Bigtime Yes!!!

    I was well aware that this was a 1.0 product. Once I got round using it, I was pretty well stoked. Is it perfect H3LL NO. For what it is, it does very well.

    After having a 1st gen Iphone on Tmo. I think we will see improvement at a quicker pace with palm driving to get back in the game.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Exactly what the Pre blind defenders keep ignoring:

    First, fact is Palm did a lousy job polishing up Web Os before release. Sure it's a 1.0 blah blah blah, whatever. So you polish up what you got, instead what they did was leave it with lacking some key functionality AND polish. Hello crappy battery life? Hello reception issues? Hello slow UI. Fine fine, I am sure 100 people here are going to say "But no, you're just doing whatever wrong!" Fine. Still doesnt explain the sheer number of people and reviewers saying these 3 same facts.

    Second, and despite all the defenders, the fact that so many reviewers and owners are complaining about low quality hardware and the bad keyboard design means that it is a bother to more than just a few people so it is a legitimate complaint. I hope that Palm survives to make a new phone cause while WebOs is great, the Pre is not impressive hardware.

    Flame on.
    How about flame off, straw man off, and generalization off?

    I'm not a "blind Pre defender". A few days after having it, I wrote a detailed review here that LEAD with several paragraphs of negatives. I did and do consider WebOS to still be in a (very polished, but beta nonetheless) beta state. There are still way too many context-free menus and there is still too much choppiness in scrolls (e.g. scrolling down on the thumbnail page when the Web browser starts). There is a LOT of room for improvement.

    I'm more than happy to both make critiques and to hear/read them. But these comparisons that act as if Palm is especially lax because they don't have some "standard" features in WebOS 1.0 - when every current smartphone platform, even ones on 3.0, is in the same predicament - are just silly.
  17. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How about flame off, straw man off, and generalization off?

    I'm not a "blind Pre defender". A few days after having it, I wrote a detailed review here that LEAD with several paragraphs of negatives. I did and do consider WebOS to still be in a (very polished, but beta nonetheless) beta state. There are still way too many context-free menus and there is still too much choppiness in scrolls (e.g. scrolling down on the thumbnail page when the Web browser starts). There is a LOT of room for improvement.

    I'm more than happy to both make critiques and to hear/read them. But these comparisons that act as if Palm is especially lax because they don't have some "standard" features in WebOS 1.0 - when every current smartphone platform, even ones on 3.0, is in the same predicament - are just silly.
    The Pre definitely has room for improvement.....I'd say almost all areas have about 10% of room for improvement....things you say above really aren't that huge of a deal.
  18.    #58  
    Didn't know that my post would cause this much stir.

    What I believe in is that regardless of "how old your stuff" is, you have to compare it with others at the same point of time. It really doesn't matter WebOS is only version 1.0 and iPhone is on 3.0. As of today, WebOS is far from polished whereas iPhone is very well polished.

    Palm shouldn't expect people to be generous and blind of their product's shortcoming just cause they just brought a new OS to the market. If they published WebOS as Beta and let people have it for free, then it's acceptable. But, if Palm is charging people as much as Apple does for their newest iPhone, Palm shouldn't expect people to have any less expectation than what they have for iPhone.

    If you are a student at school, your mistake and shortcoming can be excused. That's what school is for. School is a place for students to learn from their mistakes and become ready for the real world. When you get a job, there is much less tolerance in mistakes and shortcomings. You shouldn't expect your new job to pay high salary while you take 2 years to get trained when you are to retire in 5 years. The same logic should be applied here, I believe. WebOS is not a beta product. Palm Pre is not a test-driving product handed out to us to test out. Once you are out in the market, you are what you are. Not what you can become in next 2 years. If you are a young athlete with great potential to mature for next 20 years, then yeah, the market will be willing to work with you. If we are talking about technology products that will become obsolete within 5 years, you better be at your top performance on your first year. Don't bind people with 2 year contacts while you work out your kinks.

    Of course, I didn't expect WebOS or Palm Pre to be perfect from the get-go. But compared to the market leader (Apple iPhone), it lacks the refinement in both hardware and software. I am willing to wait a bit, but I don't want Palm to perfect their craftsmanship by the time my 2 year contact is over, Palm releases Pre 2, or Apple releases iPhone 4G.

    As a customer, I don't care if it's version 1.0 or version 100.0. When I am paying for something, I want it to perform at its peak.

    I love Palm, and I hate Apple. But as a paying customer, I am going to stay with the one who meets my need - now.

    With that said, I must admit that I am growing on Pre. The more I use it, the more I like it (like somebody said earlier in the first page). It's just that Palm Pre lacks many softwares that are essential to me, but, unfortunately, many developers are focusing on iPhone-only and don't have any plan to make their apps available on Pre just yet. Can I live without all those apps I have on iPhone 3G? I am still not sure. The fact that Sprint coverage is not much better than AT&T in my area doesn't help much, either. (I live in Nor Cal.) I just hope that Palm does something fast to close the gap so that I can stay with Pre. I really really want to!
  19. #59  
    Have a 3G, Pre without a doubt is my new phone of choice, no question at all.
  20. #60  
    new pre user... initial thoughts:

    i was an iphone user for 18 mos and i wanted something new: i was fed up with having to jailbreak and then re-jailbreak the phone over and over just to get it to do the things i wanted. ffs! why did people have to wait 2 years for an fn landscape keyboard for sms?! how long did it take them to release a pdf viewer? why can't you mms? change the damn theme? of course, you could do all these things from early on, but then you have to deal with all the jailbreak bs: warranty issues, potential brickings, buggy apps, performance slowly deteriorating until you had to do a restore and a fresh jailbreak, etc.

    i came to hate apple's obsessive need to control what people can and can't do with their iphone. that and the keyboard just pissed me off more and more-- even the landscape one.

    the result: i bought a pre just to try it out.

    the pre: my god, the phone feels like one of those two piece plastic easter eggs you put stuff in for kids....it's just that this one is black and has a section you can touch and it lights up! 0.0

    the iphone wins in the hardware dept, but i love how little the pre weighs and how small it is in comparison to the iphone.

    as far as i can tell sprint's cell service pales in comparison to that of at&t. while in northern nj i had 0 bars often. i even had to drive around to find an area that offered full bars and EV. then i drove from nj to ma checking/using my iphone, my sister's verizon env, and my new pre frequently. just in terms of bars and consistency of call clarity/quality, at&t was better than verizon and verizon was better than sprint. i don't know if this a pre issue or a sprint thing...or what... i find it discouraging.

    here again, nod goes to my iphone.

    keyboard: i'll take the pre's keyboard over the iphone's 2 keyboards. i'm not crazy about that choice: the keys seem too small and too close together on the pre. i do have bigger hands tho...

    i LOVE being able to multi-task, period. pre over iphone

    MMS! pre over iphone

    lower price for service plans. pre over at&t

    more volume from headphones. pre over iphone

    pre<--->itunes! media sync, heh. love it. gg palm.

    pre as usb device. nice. another area where the iphone fails. ipod? ok for usb device. iphone? no... sigh....

    8 gigs? no mini sd? iphone over pre

    i also bought a BB Bold too. i love its solid construction and the keyboard is quite possibly the best i have ever used. but coming from an iphone and/or a pre? the os seems totally out-dated....

    my dream: palm pre in a BB bold body.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions