Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 89
  1. #21  
    The problem with the Pre not feeling as solid as the iphone is mainly due to the Pre is a 2 piece phone, so it will never feel AS solid as a one piece iphone.

    2nd, many people are comparing a 1.0 new OS vs. a 3.0 OS thats been out for over 2 years so the advantage will almost always go to a more matured and more efficient one. However, if you compare webOS 1.0 to iphone's 1.0 2 years ago, then you'll see a bigger difference in favor of the Pre. The iphone was locked down tighter than I don't know what with no App store and what is basically a phone slapped into an ipod touch.

    I do believe that given time, webOS will be the next big thing.
  2. #22  
    I came from using the iPhone since day one, then bought a 3G iPhone on Craigslist.

    Now that I have the Pre, I could never go back to an iPhone.
    I love the pre form factor so much more, the hardware keyboard, multitasking, synergy.. pretty much everything about the Pre I like more than the iPhone.
    Also, I disagree with the original post, I have had no issue with performance and it actually feels a lot more responsive than the 3G iPhone I had.. of course that may not be the case with the 3Gs, but who knows.

    I have no problem with the build quality, it's been solid for me.

    I don't have anything against Apple, I used to own only Apple devices and think they make fantastic products, but decided I could get more bang for my buck building my own machines so now the only Apple product I own is an Airport express and an iPod Nano I won at a conference.

    Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is an AWESOME phone, but for my use I just much prefer the Pre.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
  3. #23  
    I find the complaints about the Pre's application load times kinda funny. Are people really THAT strapped for time that a few seconds bothers them that much? Not trying to be overly harsh here but sometimes I think people need to just step back and get a grip
  4. #24  
    I carry both the 3GS and Pre daily. I like WebOS. It has lots of potential.

    However, the 3GS with OS 3.0 feels like a 3rd generation product running a 3rd generation OS. WebOS feels very much like a 1.0 product to me. I look forward to the future WebOS upgrades and versions.
  5. tosan76's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #25  
    i've never had an iphone (nor do i want one)
    i am trying really hard to love the pre, but there are things that just dont make any sense! for instance, no indicator light, the battery life is horrible, and you can't assign different ringers/tones to different things (like 1 ring for text, 1 for calendat appointments, 1 for email)
    but over all i think i am starting to enjoy some of the features not found on my black berry.
  6. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I felt EXACTLY the same way you are feeling coming from 2 years on an iPhone. But the more I use my Pre, the more I love it. The notification system, the multitasking, and synergy are what is keeping me from returning my Pre. I am just sick of Apple and the iPhone, while very nice, was losing its appeal, especially since 3.0 did not really add a whole lot.

    My biggest grip still is the slowness of the UI. Things dont scroll as smoothly as the iPhone, and apps do take a bit to load. However, we all know WebOS and the Pre was rushed out the door, and optimizations usually happen at the very end. I honestly think Palm will iron out these issues relatively quickly, and we'll have the performance and scrolling smoothness we are used to on the iPhone very soon.

    Some of the performance issues seem like debug logging code. I am developer myself, and logging can really chug animations and performance. Once Palm fixes some of these glaring bugs, I think they'll focus on speed improvements and new features.

    And again, the more I use the phone in real world situations, the less I miss my iPhone.
    You nailed it.. I feel completely the same way at my Pre vs. iPhone.

    I wonder if they could leverage native code vs. JavaScript for the scrolling mechanism? It's horribly slow, inacurate, and buggy compared to even iphone 1.0 os...

    I still like my Pre more, and will probably be paying an ETF from ATT to stick with it.. I just hope Palm does not blow it and go bankrupt, they DO owe ~500mm
  7. #27  
    iPhone is on revision 3.0 with 3rd gen hardware. Palm Pre is on first revision with first gen hardware. I had iPhone 1.0 since launch day and then iPhone 3G.

    Palm Pre at v1.0 today is where iPhone 3G was with 2.0 (2nd gen hardware, 2nd revision). That's a huge accomplishment for Palm.

    The Pre is not anywhere near perfect but for what it is, it's amazing. By buying and keeping the Pre, I want to support Palm so they can truly develop this into the amazing platform it can be.

    If you don't have patience, return your Pre and get the iPhone. If you have patience, the Pre will be a fun ride!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  8. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tkam View Post
    I find the complaints about the Pre's application load times kinda funny. Are people really THAT strapped for time that a few seconds bothers them that much? Not trying to be overly harsh here but sometimes I think people need to just step back and get a grip
    That's not a fair judgement on people because isn't the very reason we pay more money for our smart phones and cell plans BECAUSE we are impatient?

    A large majority of things we do on our phones can be done just as well (or better) when we get to our home/office computers so if there is a lag then why wouldn't someone notice it? It's in our nature as smartphone buyers to "want it now".

    BTW, as for the lag then it doesn't bother me in my major apps because I usually keep them open. But where it does affect me is secondary apps like weather. It takes far too long to perform a simple task (Open and tell temp) so I no longer bother.
  9. #29  
    The only thing I will add about the whole 1st gen vs 3rd gen.

    Lets remember that iPhone was the FIRST of its kind. So they had more leeway to come out with a product that was incomplete.

    Palm has had time to see what the iPhone and other phones like G1 and BB Storm have done wrong/right. So that means they should have taken care of many of the little issues that plagued those at launch.

    I understand its not as easy to do it then to say it but its not fair to just give them a pass because its their first attempt. They are not breaking new ground here with most of their features except synergy and multi tasking (elegantly as multi tasking on phones has been around a long time)
  10. benski's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #30  
    As an owner of the first iphone and 3g, I'm fairly satisfied with this 1.0 release of the pre. While people make a lot of noise about the multitasking and synergy features, while nice, (imo) it's the notification system that is palm's real trump card.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Lets remember that iPhone was the FIRST of its kind. So they had more leeway to come out with a product that was incomplete.

    Palm has had time to see what the iPhone and other phones like G1 and BB Storm have done wrong/right. So that means they should have taken care of many of the little issues that plagued those at launch.
    Wait...what?

    iPhone was the first OSX phone. Pre is the first WebOS phone. Observing other launches and phone libraries wouldn't help Palm deliver a better WebOS phone anymore than Apple observing the progression of Windows Mobile would help them incorporate Enterprise/Exchange features at launch.

    There's no way you can "take care of" every issue with a brand new platform prior to launching it.

    I understand its not as easy to do it then to say it but its not fair to just give them a pass because its their first attempt. They are not breaking new ground here with most of their features except synergy and multi tasking (elegantly as multi tasking on phones has been around a long time)
    This is just nonsense. It's new software running on new hardware in a rarely used form factor configuration. Multitasking on WebOS isn't the same as multitasking on Android or on Windows Mobile.
  12. #32  
    So its ok to come out with a car thats basic feature missing car just because you do it with a different motor? you still analyze what the competition is doing and make sure you include basic features.

    Like any software if you hope to compete you have to have a base level of features that the competitors have.

    You cant just say oh well I wrote this in COBOL so I am excused from everything.

    that my friend makes NO SENSE
  13. #33  
    But again this is the internet everyone always has the OPPOSITE view. I was merely stating my opinion. If you dont agree, then dont. Life goes on.

    nobody here is RIGHT or WRONG.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    So its ok to come out with a car thats basic feature missing car just because you do it with a different motor? you still analyze what the competition is doing and make sure you include basic features.
    The Pre includes a buttload of features, basic and advanced. That it does not have ALL features common to ALL platforms is meaningless.

    The iPhone 3GS - a 3.0 product with 2 years of development and user testing - still can't do things that that Windows Mobile has been able to do for years (e.g. access sites w/ Flash [Skyfire], change skins/look/feel without Jailbreaking, etc.), and even shipped with bugs like the random tones sounding off. What's their excuse? What's the excuse for the G1, BB Storm, or pretty much any other flagship smartphone in existence missing features?

    I mean, seriously...

    Like any software if you hope to compete you have to have a base level of features that the competitors have.

    You cant just say oh well I wrote this in COBOL so I am excused from everything.

    that my friend makes NO SENSE
    Which the Pre does.
  15. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Lets remember that iPhone was the FIRST of its kind. So they had more leeway to come out with a product that was incomplete.

    Palm has had time to see what the iPhone and other phones like G1 and BB Storm have done wrong/right. So that means they should have taken care of many of the little issues that plagued those at launch.
    Exactly. I believe excuses can be made for things like Synergy or the card system because those are groundbreaking features and it will take time to really figure out how to make it work perfectly.

    But the missing industry standard features like a scrubber in the media player or the outdated specs (no-macro camera/8gb) are examples of things that are missing due to poor planning.

    How exactly does pointing out flaws in a product we chose to buy get interpreted as "hating" a product. And how exactly does pointing out the flaws in a competing product fix the things wrong with the Pre? None of us got these for free so if there's a perceived flaw then we're better off bringing it up than pretending it doesn't exist.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Exactly. I believe excuses can be made for things like Synergy or the card system because those are groundbreaking features and it will take time to really figure out how to make it work perfectly.

    But the missing industry standard features like a scrubber in the media player or the outdated specs (no-macro camera/8gb) are examples of things that are missing due to poor planning.

    It's a shame that pointing these things out gets interpreted as "hating" a product. None of us got these for free so if there's a perceived flaw then we're better off bringing it up than pretending it doesn't exist.
    Yeah thats my point, I am not trying to down the phone at all. In fact I gave up my iphone for this phone.

    I am just pointing out that it indeed is missing things that I think are basic in 2009. If Palm was late to the party, in my opinion they do not get a free pass just because they did it in a new OS they created.

    I had these same judgements for missing iPhone features especially after iphone os 2.0.

    I am a paying consumer and hence I have no loyalty to brand names only.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Exactly. I believe excuses can be made for things like Synergy or the card system because those are groundbreaking features and it will take time to really figure out how to make it work perfectly.

    But the missing industry standard features like a scrubber in the media player or the outdated specs (no-macro camera/8gb) are examples of things that are missing due to poor planning.
    Again, "industry standard" features are missing from MANY 1.0 products. How long did it take Apple to do cut and paste, again? Mass email delete? Android didn't ship with A2DP or even a video PLAYER, much less video recording. I'm sure if one cares to put in the Google time, they can identify PLENTY of "standard" features that Blackberry and Windows Mobile shipped without when they debuted.

    No one can get everything right out of the box. NO ONE.

    It's a shame that pointing these things out gets interpreted as "hating" a product. None of us got these for free so if there's a perceived flaw then we're better off bringing it up than pretending it doesn't exist.
    Hey, look...a straw man!
  18. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Outta curiosity, how much stuff is on your phone?
    I have Accuweather, NYTimes, Fandango and Pandora. Aside from hundreds of contacts and thousands of appointments, that's it. Not rooted either.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Some people touted the fact that WebOS was being built from the ground up as an advantage. All it told me was that there were going to be all sorts of little features that would not be complete and will not be complete for months if not years.
    It IS an advantage.

    Do you think a new Palm OS phone with a TF3D-esque skin on top would've excited anybody or sent Palm's financials anywhere but further in the toilet?
  20. #40  
    First of all the iPhone in it's 1.0 firmware days, took 5-6 seconds to load an app. Now the iphone 3G (with 3.0 firmware) takes 1-3 seconds to load an app. However, it has a UI animation that takes about 2 second to do which covers most of the loading. The Pre take 2-4 seconds which means that most of the time you are waiting the same amount of time that you do on an iPhone. Just your are entertained between with a silly little animation. If you really feel you have to have something in between just say 'supercalifragilisticexpealadousus' when it's loading...
    Second of all you have to remember that the phone is in it's 1.0 firmware days. If you want to compare core software speed, you absolutely cannot compare it to a 3.0 firmware. It just can not be done, just like comparing a awesome double-A baseball player to a bad pro player.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions