1.    #1  
    I currently have the Sprint TEP plan, but I heard about SquareTrade and decided to look into their offerings. However, SquareTrade's cell phone warranty for phones other than the iPhone only will cover up to $400, so I emailed them to ask how to cover my Pre.

Yes, we offer coverage for your Palm Pre.

As such, to purchase a SquareTrade Care Plan for this item, please select the following categories:

Select "Retailer" then
    Select: "Miscellaneous" then
    Select: "Other Electronics" then

Enter your purchase price, (purchase price only, this does not include, taxes, shipping, activation, etc)

Select the Item condition: New or Refurbished

You will then be brought to the second page for your personal and payment information.
    I responded back asking for clarification about the purchase price. I purchased my Pre for $299 (with the $100 rebate), but if the phone were to break, I'd have to purchase another at the full retail price of $549.99.

Please note to enter your item retail price, (this does not include, taxes, shipping, activation, etc)
    SquareTrade offered a 3-year plan for $74.99 plus $30 for accidental damage protection (with a $50 deductible). The problem I have with their offering is that I don't expect my Pre to be in use for more than one year. I upgrade my phone once a year - starting with the iPhone, then the iPhone 3G, and now the Pre. It would be nice if they offered a cheaper option for one or two years of coverage.

If you plan on keeping your phone for one year, TEP is cheaper at $84 (versus SquareTrade's $104.99 with accidental damage protection). But two or three years and you'd be better off with SquareTrade, especially with the lower deductible on accidental damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by spooner View Post
    I currently have the Sprint TEP plan, but I heard about SquareTrade and decided to look into their offerings. However, SquareTrade's cell phone warranty for phones other than the iPhone only will cover up to $400, so I emailed them to ask how to cover my Pre.

I responded back asking for clarification about the purchase price. I purchased my Pre for $299 (with the $100 rebate), but if the phone were to break, I'd have to purchase another at the full retail price of $549.99.

SquareTrade offered a 3-year plan for $74.99 plus $30 for accidental damage protection (with a $50 deductible). The problem I have with their offering is that I don't expect my Pre to be in use for more than one year. I upgrade my phone once a year - starting with the iPhone, then the iPhone 3G, and now the Pre. It would be nice if they offered a cheaper option for one or two years of coverage.

If you plan on keeping your phone for one year, TEP is cheaper at $84 (versus SquareTrade's $104.99 with accidental damage protection). But two or three years and you'd be better off with SquareTrade, especially with the lower deductible on accidental damage.

If you use coupon THIRTY30, that'll knock it down to 74.99. So you get 3 years plus accidental damage protection. Not bad.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for that coupon code! Certainly makes SquareTrade the much better deal. I think I'll cancel TEP and get the SquareTrade warranty.
    Is the Squaretrade coverage as good as what is offered by Sprint? Do you get a new phone or just money back with Squaretrade?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saahmed View Post
    Is the Squaretrade coverage as good as what is offered by Sprint? Do you get a new phone or just money back with Squaretrade?
    I want to know as well? i have 2 Pre's..this could save me alot of money...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Why not just get the $4 equipment replacement program instead of TEP? TEP is made up of 2 programs - both $4 on their own, one covers the phone that stops working on its own, the ERP covers lost/stolen/physically damaged phones. Why not just pay the $4 for the lost/stolen/damaged protection? That comes out to $48 a year.
    Back when cell phones were just starting to become common place my homeowners insurance let me cover both mine and my wifes phones with a "portable tools" rider that added like $36 a year with a $50 deductable. If you have homeowners/renters insurance you might call your agent and see if you can get a better deal.