Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Dear Palm--

Since I know you're webOS team is probably working round-the-clock to keep the juicy additions to webOS coming, please consider two measly, yet very useful features to your list of things to come SOON.

#1: Make the autocorrect for "il" turn into "I'll" like it did on my Centro.

As best I can tell you guys included almost all the other autocorrect features from previous palm devices, why did you omit this one?!? I used it all the time on my Centro and miss it dearly now on my Pre....please bring it back.

#2: Make a section in the Ringers & Sounds for "Proximity Sensor Active" volumes.

I don't know how difficult this would be, but obviously the proximity sensor is designed to turn off the backlight as well as inactivate the touchscreen. Take it one step further and have it modify the sound profiles.

Here's what I mean: Right now when I take a phone call put the Pre up to my ear and talk away, then if I get a SMS or Email I get a very loud "dung-ding" in my ear to tell both me AND the person on the other end of the line that I just got a new text. Sometimes this triggers my caller to say "Hey, what was that? Who's texting you? Who is she?!?" NOT an ideal situation.

It'd be very nice if I could set separate volumes for when the proximity sensor is activated. This way if I have the phone close to my ear the notification is very quiet or muted. When I pull the phone away from ear, it goes back to loud.

I know you guys probably have an extensive product roadmap for WebOS and hopefully these features are in it. I'm excited for the evolution of the OS and wish you guys well moving forward. Think about throwing these features out there soon, I know a bunch of people that would really like to see these options (among many many others).

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

turtle3
    the noise doesn't happen to me. maybe you have the volume too loud or something.
    I'm all for il changing to I'll, and I would also like to see holding down a letter make it a CAPS instead of a key repeat.

I haven't gotten a text while on a call to notice that loud noise but that is something that should get fixed ASAP imo
    Not sure if you rooted your Pre or not, but #1 is possible to do your own, as I just did it this weekend. Funny because it was the same word too. Very simple modification. Check out the auto-correction page on the pre dev wiki.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaXVI View Post
    I'm all for il changing to I'll, and I would also like to see holding down a letter make it a CAPS instead of a key repeat.
    Hit shift twice to put on CAPS lock. Hit it 1 more time to turn CAPS off.
    I am just used to my Curve where a holding down of the letter will CAPS it then I can continue typing along with no need to turn anything on or off.
    I am just used to my Curve where a holding down of the letter will CAPS it then I can continue typing along with no need to turn anything on or off.
    I agree, this is a very nice feature to have
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I see what you mean now. Yes. The blackberry "press-and-hold" for CAPS. I had to break that habit when I went to a Centro (saves $30 a month not having to pay for the Blackberry data plan).
    Instead of Palm choosing what word corrections to implement, I wish they would include a way to add or delete corrections as we see fit (without rooting our phones, I mean). There are some "corrections" they currently have that I can't stand because I have to keep pushing the back key to correct them to be what I typed and meant. "Il" would be one I wouldn't want, as I wouldn't type that to mean "I'll", I would type it to mean the Italian word "Il".

Also, giving users an easy way to add corrections means they could add anything they want, such as typing in their initials or nickname or such and having it correct to their whole name/business name.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Bag of Leaves, I agree. Especially since I live in the Land of Lincoln: Illinois, abbreviated IL. Personally, I'd like to see automatic upper-casing of state initials. But that wouldn't work for you. So an editable auto-replace dictionary would be great.
    - Fushigi
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Oh man that alert tone while talking is brutal. It made me jump onetime when I was talking to someone. Good idea to tie it to the proximity sensor I hope they implement it.
    If it was proximity sensor mediated then wouldn't it also be muted when the phone was in your pocket, facing your leg? How about making it just mute when you're on a call? Maybe both (meaning AND not AND/OR)?
    I used to have the "hold key for cap" feature on an older Palm (not a phone) and I've missed it ever since.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    An old palm app-key caps did this. If you held down the letter it became a cap & if you tapped a key twice quickly it became the number or symbol. Was a GRET app.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezalis View Post
    Oh man that alert tone while talking is brutal. It made me jump onetime when I was talking to someone. Good idea to tie it to the proximity sensor I hope they implement it.
    you ever had it happen when on speaker phone?

If alerts that happen on speaker phone could be that loud during the day, you'd never miss one. That's for sure.
    From the beginning I've wanted the ability to add typing shortcuts, a la t9.