1.    #1  
    Even though I have already let me pre download most of my contacts through synergy, I uploaded a few pics of my own and assigned them to various callers. I did this because I was disappointed with the quality of the pics loaded from facebook/gmail. The contact pics look great when they are small but as soon as they are blown up (ie. when you call the person), the images are all pixelated. Now for the question....

What resolution should I upload the pics to the phone at to be used for contacts?

I'm also confused b/c I have 2 different contacts that I uploaded the same size image (275px X 275px with res of 72 px) and while one of them looks big and beautiful on the screen when I call that person, the other image looks like a thumbnail blown up. Both images look great when I look at them in the photo viewer. Any and all help would be appreciated becuase I hate having this beautiful screen with crappy little contact pics. I also noticed that unless you save the images as sRGB with standard Jpeg compression, the images have vertical green lines through them when they are assigned to a caller.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I took hours getting contact pics on the google side but it downgraded the resolution terribly. So the only way to get high res pics was to crop to 400x400 for assigned photos on phone.
    is synergy something we have to set up. if so. how? im new to this. sorry.

thanks.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Yea I just take pics on the Pre and crop and assign it to the contacts. Looks like complete crap in gmail contacts, but i dont really care about that too much.
    I don't have that many people in my address book for Gmail, and the majority of the addresses imported are non-Gmail addresses that don't have contact pictures set up. I can think of a handful of contacts whose pictures were imported, and only two of these are people that I call and speak to on a regular basis.

One photo seems rather high-quality, but that may just be the effect of the bright colors/high contrast in the photo. The other one doesn't look so great, but I've always attributed it to bland grayish colors and low contrast.

The only reason I've kept the Gmail display pictures for these two contacts is because they're thousands of miles away and I can't take pictures of them to otherwise assign. Every other contact I speak to regularly I've taken a picture on my Pre and set it as their contact picture. Not to mention that the bright one looks rather nice.

Granted, I could just upload a picture of them from my computer, but that's just extra work, and I'm lazy. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I took hours getting contact pics on the google side but it downgraded the resolution terribly. So the only way to get high res pics was to crop to 400x400 for assigned photos on phone.
    I will try this but I still do not understand why one pic that was 275X275 looks great and filled the screen but the other image looks like a little thumbnail when I make a call...
    I also have spent too many hours trying to get pictures to show up properly. By trial and error, I figured out that the square area on the Pre for a picture is about 250 x 250 pixels. I resized all my pictures and they looked great when I assigned them but when they call they were still very pixelated and had that green line along the side.

What finally worked: I transferred the entire original picture that had the persons face in it to my Pre. Then I zoomed in on their face and selected the picture that way. Now the pics look great and you can delete the original pictures from your Pre to save space.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauGM View Post
    What finally worked: I transferred the entire original picture that had the persons face in it to my Pre. Then I zoomed in on their face and selected the picture that way. Now the pics look great and you can delete the original pictures from your Pre to save space.
    I only have a picture assigned to my wife's contact - don't really want to see pictures of most of the rest of my contacts. But it works great on the phone. No pixellation, no green line. I simply used a photo I had transferred to the phone via USB mode.

I used the batch conversion feature of Irfanview (great free photo viewer) to resize a bunch of pictures which I then copied to the Pre.