Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, I'd like to see that I am blown away by webOS. I'd take the ability to multi-task over the iphone's useless fart apps anyway.

But the build quality of the device is starting to really **** me off. Im on my THIRD pre (yellow box). Over the last two weeks, i've noticed an increasing amount of play with the screen. I've also noticed that on the left side of the device the two sections are separated enough that i can almost see the innards. When I push them together, you can hear squeaking. On top of that, the device came with a loose power button that doesn't click nearly as firmly as that of other devices.

This is ridiculous. I paid $199 and I expect a decent phone. Do you think they'll want to exchange mine for a 4th phone?
    I know I hate to say it because I love this phone, its just I wish is was more solid..
    can you post a picture of this gap you're talking about. Mine has a little bit of a gap, but nothing to complain about. Mine also has a little bit of screen wiggle, but it hasn't gotten worse so I'm fine with that. Its a slider phone, so you should automatically realize that unless you want the phone to snap in half, its going to have a bit of give.
  4.    #4  
    I can't right now but rest assured I wouldn't be complaining if I saw it on other phones. My dad's pre does not have this problem. Being that it is the slider, the gap is still there, but its not nearly as wide as mine. I know the manager at my local store, hopefully they'd be willing to exchange it again for a NORMAL one. -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyops View Post
    First off, I'd like to see that I am blown away by webOS. I'd take the ability to multi-task over the iphone's useless fart apps anyway.

But the build quality of the device is starting to really **** me off. Im on my THIRD pre (yellow box). Over the last two weeks, i've noticed an increasing amount of play with the screen. I've also noticed that on the left side of the device the two sections are separated enough that i can almost see the innards. When I push them together, you can hear squeaking. On top of that, the device came with a loose power button that doesn't click nearly as firmly as that of other devices.

This is ridiculous. I paid $199 and I expect a decent phone. Do you think they'll want to exchange mine for a 4th phone?
    Man I hear ya..I hated to but I had to take mine back and go back to the iPhone. I tried to tell myself I just needed to get used to it but in the end couldn't.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue4ever View Post
    Man I hear ya..I hated to but I had to take mine back and go back to the iPhone. I tried to tell myself I just needed to get used to it but in the end couldn't.
    At this point i'd like to do that too, but i'm afraid I can't afford the highway robbery that is AT&T's data rates. $20 a month for texting? come on.

anyone think i've got a good chance at getting it exchanged?
    You should be able to exchange it with no problem if the problem is as bad as you say it is. I already exchanged my first one due to a faulty screen, and will likely also exchange my current one because of a wobbly/loose slider. Hopefully third time's a charm.
    Sounds like many people are just getting dookie after dookie with no luck after multiple dookie, I mean, pre returns......
  9.    #9  
    Well that's the thing. It's not a complete dealbreaker, but as someone with mild OCD it bothers the hell out of me that i can push the left half of the screen down that far! It's definitely not something I noticed on other pre's. Hopefully they'll understand.
    I haven't had a problem with mine as far as wiggle or play in the sliders, but I just got a cracked screen tonight, and as soon as I get to 10 posts I will be putting up pics

Good luck, but I would imagine that just to be an a$$ they would say no more replacements, unless you start working up the chain of command.
    I am 100% with you on this one OP. LOVEEEEE WEBOS. HATE HATE HATE the build quality. I'm going in for my THIRD pre this week due to a wobbly screen ...
  12.    #12  
    Lucky for me im on good terms with my store's assistant manager, and I know the manager's name just in case.

If it gets extreme, I know Palm's SE regional sales director. (lucky I met him on launch weekend)
    My wobbily screen freaks me out evertime i open slider, like of it is going to fall off track I also noticed that because of the slight gap I have now inherited a dust particle behind the screen I wipe and wipe and it is still there laughing at me Talk about ocd.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Typing on my Instinct now, starting to look like I will better off keeping it. Maybe by August the QC issues will be sorted out on the Pre when I can get the discount!
    Quote Originally Posted by norml View Post
    I am 100% with you on this one OP. LOVEEEEE WEBOS. HATE HATE HATE the build quality. I'm going in for my THIRD pre this week due to a wobbly screen ...
    The question is will the hardware holdup over time (especially the way I abuse cellphones). At least WebOS rocks (and is going to kick some iphone ***!). Now let's get a solid / dependable phone out and Palm is back in business. Oh, what could have been!
    I haven't been hands on with anything other than my Pre, but just how wobbly is everyone's screen?

I do notice some play in mine, but it isn't anything that has me worried about the sliders breaking or coming off.
  17.    #17  
    The wobble doesn't bother me nearly as much as the separation between the two halves.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Here is a pic of the gap which I assume the op is speaking of. I have the same issue. Its huge, and I am just holding my finger on it to take the pic, not spreading it open. Something in the the slider mechanism is just not right.
    Last edited by palandri; 06/22/2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Reduced picture to eliminate side scrolling
    Yeah I have to admit, palm ate a big old fat fail with this design...seriously palm why a slider? When have you ever made a slider?
    Trolls.

How do you know if the 3GS is a failure?? When the trolls are still on the Pre forum the day it is released.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast