Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    TOTALLY BOGUS CLAIM. There were and continue to be hundreds of thread complaining about the quality and or durability of the device. Some people wanted to form a recall over the glass screen. The fact that there is a glass screen and NO replaceable battery makes the device basically UNINSUREABLE!!! You can buy the 'Apple Protection Plan' for $69 but it doesn't get you very much. If the phone is so damn perfect then why don't they stand behind it the Sprint stands behind the Pre. If you have a defective Pre just return it for a BRAND NEW one. If that doesn't work...then maybe it's time to cut your losses. But don't come in here and try to rewrite history.

Now I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these claims. But lets not forget the history. 'The Truth? You can't handle the Truth!'
    I was at the Apple Store on June 18, purchasing a MacBook Pro 13 inch, which is the best laptop I have used by the way.........Anyway, i was at the genius bar just hanging out because I was in no rush and it gave me a chance to catch up with my friend who works there. Mind you, this was the day before the iPhone 3GS launched so the store was pretty crowded and people were excited. Anyway, I was playing with my Pre and Apple employees as well as other customers were like hey, what's that? You can't be in here playing with the Pre at the Apple store....But as I was sitting there two people came in within 10 minutes of each other, with cracks on the back of their iPhone 3G housings...both the phones were the white 16GB model. Apple happily exchanged the phones for them but I just thought that it was crazy that two people came in with the cracked housings within 10 minutes of each other. I say that to say while I do agree that all phones have quality controls problems, the Pre seems to have more than it's fair share.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    I was at the Apple Store on June 18, purchasing a MacBook Pro 13 inch, which is the best laptop I have used by the way.........
    I don't want to thread jack but I bought one of those too and it's an amazing piece of engineering. It feels like a freakin brick and it's fast and runs cool. I LOVE this thing.

Now if July 13th (rebate eligibility) could get here and I can get my Pre to go with it I would be a happy man.
    I was at the Apple Store on June 18, two people came in within 10 minutes of each other, with cracks on the back of their iPhone 3G housings...both the phones were the white 16GB model. Apple happily exchanged the phones for them
    The main un-insurable part of the phone is the glass screen. If you drop it you own it. I have heard of plenty of people getting new phones due to defects but the common insurance claim problems are often not covered. In many cases you have to go to an Apple store to get a replacement which is not possible for many people.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    The main un-insurable part of the phone is the glass screen. If you drop it you own it. I have heard of plenty of people getting new phones due to defects but the common insurance claim problems are often not covered. In many cases you have to go to an Apple store to get a replacement which is not possible for many people.
    But the glass screen in the iPhone 3G is replaceable. If you break it you can just have the glass replaced. You don't have to replace the whole phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    But the glass screen in the iPhone 3G is replaceable. If you break it you can just have the glass replaced. You don't have to replace the whole phone.
    $200.00 to have it repaired by apple...$120ish with other 3rd parties....It only costs me $100 to get a New Pre if i break the glass!
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/30/2009 at 08:04 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    $200.00 to have it repaired by apple...$120ish with other 3rd parties....It only costs me $100 to get a New Pre if i break the glass!
    You're talking about insurance. You can get insurance for the iPhone too. And it doesn't just cost you $100 to replace the phone. It costs you $100 plus $7/month for the insurance premium. You are trying to manufacture an advantage for the Pre where none exists.
    You're talking about insurance. You can get insurance for the iPhone too. And it doesn't just cost you $100 to replace the phone. It costs you $100 plus $7/month for the insurance premium. You are trying to manufacture an advantage for the Pre where none exists.
    I beg to differ. AT&T does NOT offer insurance for the iPhone. You can buy 3rd Party insurance but that is not the same thing. AT&T and Apple have determined the the iPhone 3G and 3G S are NOT insurable. Every other device AT&T sells can be insured. Not looking for any advantage just stating facts that are easily verifiable and known by most knowledgeable mobile phone enthusiasts.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    I beg to differ. AT&T does NOT offer insurance for the iPhone. You can buy 3rd Party insurance but that is not the same thing. AT&T and Apple have determined the the iPhone 3G and 3G S are NOT insurable. Every other device AT&T sells can be insured. Not looking for any advantage just stating facts that are easily verifiable and known by most knowledgeable mobile phone enthusiasts.
    What does it matter if the insurance comes from AT&T or if it comes from your own insurance company (State Farm, etc.) or if it comes from a company like Squaretrade? All that matters is that it can be insured easily.
    What does it matter if the insurance comes from AT&T or if it comes from your own insurance company (State Farm, etc.) or if it comes from a company like Squaretrade? All that matters is that it can be insured easily.
    Well, when I owned an iPhone it mattered to me. First, they don't tell you it's NOT insured. You assume, 'hey my last phone on the same plan had protection so I'm good right'? Wrong!!! The sales reps at the store certainly were not pointing this out to every new buyer. You have to find out the hard way.

I don't know what it says to you, but it says a lot to me if the largest carrier in the country won't provide buyers protection for their 'Flagship' device.

You are 100% correct though. You can get insurance on the side but should you have to?
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Yeah I have to admit, palm ate a big old fat fail with this design...seriously palm why a slider? When have you ever made a slider?
    I know this is an old post in this thread, but I had to reply to it. If this phone wasn't a slider it would have to give up either the keyboard or the large screen, and without either of those, I wouldn't have bought the phone. The slider (meaning being able to have both a physical keyboard and a large screen) is why the phone is selling so well. Take away either and all you're likely to have is die-hard Palm users. Do we really need another phone with a tiny screen to make room for the QWERTY keyboard a la Centro, Treo or any Blackberry? The combination of both is what made me purchase this phone over switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone. That and Sprint's plan prices are much more reasonable.

As for the build quality, my slider is a little loose but that's to be expected in a slider phone. There has to be some play there to keep the phone from snapping in two if you put too much pressure on it when it's open. Obviously some people have shown examples where the gap was too big and there was too much play, but I think some people are just too picky.
    Are you serious? Honestly one of the biggest things holding me personally back from the iPhone is the lack of insurance. Sure some things can be repaired if broken or damaged, but seeing how phones are lost or stolen everyday, going without insurance is not an option. It is amazing to me that people are willing to walk around with a $500 device that doesn't have any insurance of any real value and not let it bother them. Cell phones/PDAs have all sorts of problems so insurance is a must for me. I have many friends with the iPhone and none of them who have had the phone longer than 1 year are on the original phone. Too risky for me. Insurance most certainly is an advantage that ALL other smart phones sold thru carriers offer besides the iPhone (AppleCare and Best Buy's insurance that doesn't cover loss or theft don't count in my opinion).
    This thread has now been mentioned in the ABC News Technology section:
    Palm Pre Customers Grumble About Defects - ABC News
    it must be a slow news day at ABC.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    They lowered qc to up supply. They are taking back the bad ones and it was just a bad few batches. My first one was perfect. And my fourth one is again prefecter. They had too much demand for webos they let out some lower quality hardware but are getting them back out of circulation if you just ask. Most people sprint, palm, pre owners know about this now. These people need to argue about apple somewhere else. Maybe that's what abc news is covering.
    Last edited by jbelew; 07/01/2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Are you serious? Honestly one of the biggest things holding me personally back from the iPhone is the lack of insurance. Sure some things can be repaired if broken or damaged, but seeing how phones are lost or stolen everyday, going without insurance is not an option. It is amazing to me that people are willing to walk around with a $500 device that doesn't have any insurance of any real value and not let it bother them. Cell phones/PDAs have all sorts of problems so insurance is a must for me. I have many friends with the iPhone and none of them who have had the phone longer than 1 year are on the original phone. Too risky for me. Insurance most certainly is an advantage that ALL other smart phones sold thru carriers offer besides the iPhone (AppleCare and Best Buy's insurance that doesn't cover loss or theft don't count in my opinion).
    Umm, you need to go back and reread my post. I didn't say the iPhone doesn't need insurance. I said you can get insurance for it.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    This thread has now been mentioned in the ABC News Technology section:
    Palm Pre Customers Grumble About Defects - ABC News
    Don't forget MacWorld now using this thread and others on here against the Pre.

Palm Pre owners highlight 'horrible build quality,' loose-fitting cases, dead pixels - Business - Macworld UK
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Palm Pre owners highlight 'horrible build quality,' loose-fitting cases, dead pixels - Business - Macworld UK
    That's good. Someone should make a big deal out of it so Palm can quickly fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

They really are worried, aren't they? Can't imagine Pre/Treocentral admins bothering to highlight a thread on an iPhone board criticising the iPhone.
    Yep. That's why there are so many iTrolls on here starting bogus threads as well.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    No issues on either of the two I have. Enjoying the phone a lot. The only complaint I have atm is the dearth of apps. But I'm patient and trust that Palm will support developers as they have in the past.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast