Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    So I guess that the majority of owners of the forum have already voted or getting there...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/poll-1589-a.html

1 out of 3 is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, if you go back up a level you'll note that there are currently 1100 people viewing this forum. If you extract out the iPhone fanboys and other such trolls, that leaves about 200 [wink] people on here at any given time that actually own the phone, and only a percentage of those are posting with problems.

/sarcasm
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    1st: 13 countable stuck/dead pixles on a launch day pre.
    3rd: phone twists like an oreo, like it bleeding through the edges outside of the screen in one area.
    I blame myself for not seeing the oreo twist, but I didn't have the problem on the previous phone, and I spent most of my time inspecting pixels...
    I've had mine for about two weeks now, and only complaints were a couple of stuck pixels and the oft-mentioned sub-par battery performance. However, I noticed last night that the phone seemed to be sticking a bit when I'd push open the slider. I normally push up with both thumbs on either side about an inch from the bottom, but sometimes only push up with my left thumb (when holding in my hand, as intended with their "single hand use" design. Anyway... I notices a bit of wobble when the screen was about a half inch into the slide, and I'm getting lots of play. It snaps into place when fully open, but that shimmying during opening is very bothersome. Perhaps this is the "oreo twist" mentioned above? Anyone else experiencing this, and would you agree that this is different from the "wobble" mentioned elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    So I guess that the majority of owners of the forum have already voted or getting there...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/poll-1589-a.html

1 out of 3 is pretty high.
    Well, in the first place I was kidding, and my last contribution regarding the hardware issue is that those polls are meaningless. There's no control; people who don't even own the phone can vote, and if you're someone who is having issues you're more likely than someone who is not to participate. Once again, not that there aren't any issues, but I personally don't invest much into any poll on a weblog.
    here is my experience:

pre #1 (black box, 1.0.1 preinstalled, warranty date 5/13/2009)
    dead pixels: 2
    bubbles underneath the screen: NONE
    abnormal gap between top & bottom halves: NONE
    oreo movement between top & bottom halves: NONE

pre #2 (yellow box, 1.0.2 preinstalled, warranty date 5/23/2009)
    dead pixels: NONE
    bubbles underneath the screen: yes. one on the right side, centered top to bottom.
    abnormal gap between top & bottom halves: NONE
    oreo movement between top & bottom halves: NONE

pre #3 (yellow box, 1.0.2 preinstalled, warranty date 6/22/2009)
    dead pixels: weird black dot that's only visible from certain angles.
    bubbles underneath the screen: NONE
    abnormal gap between top & bottom halves: yes. 1/16" to 1/8". ringer switch & power button both feel really loose.
    oreo movement between top & bottom halves: yes. the movement is really noticable

the sales guy and i looked at another 2 pres from the stock (of about 10 or so from what i could see) and they all exhibited some form of the gap/oreo movement. there's definitely something up with this batch.

i can't remember if i read somewhere that it could be tightened, or not. does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Remember that line from the movie Sixth Sense where the kids says, "I see trolls, only they don't know that they're trolls".

Yeah, something like that.
    I must REALLY be getting under your skin for you to keep trying to say I'm posting in some iphone blog. For all we know that's YOU posting there!!!!

I don't think you can stand to hear anyone undermining your little status toy, so you come up with little lies like this to try to combat what you view as an affront to you and your little toy.

I see liars here who don't know they are liars... Something like THAT.

Liar = Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I must REALLY be getting under your skin for you to keep trying to say I'm posting in some iphone blog. For all we know that's YOU posting there!!!!

I don't think you can stand to hear anyone undermining your little status toy, so you come up with little lies like this to try to combat what you view as an affront to you and your little toy.

I see liars here who don't know they are liars... Something like THAT.

Liar = Troll.
    Say what you want about the Pre, even though you don't have one and couldn't possibly know what you are talking about...

Give me a break, it's YOU TREOBK214 on the iPhone Blog sticking up for the iPhone. It's no biggy if that's what you prefer. But why try to hide it on this forum? The posts are old so it's not like anyone here could fake it even if they wanted to.

I'm just reporting what anyone can find via goolge. Maybe you should actually read the POST it's pretty undeniable. Not really sure you should be calling other people liars BK.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    My 2nd has such an awesome slide to it...snappy and quick. But its got another dead pixel...so I am just praying that my next one is the same.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Say what you want about the Pre, even though you don't have one and couldn't possibly know what you are talking about...

Give me a break, it's YOU TREOBK214 on the iPhone Blog sticking up for the iPhone. It's no biggy if that's what you prefer. But why try to hide it on this forum? The posts are old so it's not like anyone here could fake it even if they wanted to.

I'm just reporting what anyone can find via goolge. Maybe you should actually read the POST it's pretty undeniable. Not really sure you should be calling other people liars BK.
    Give me a break - you think just because it's the exact same unusual user name, they're both from New Jersey, and they've both posted the exact same date of birth, it's the same guy?? You're paranoid, dude. There must be thousands of guys like that on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    My 2nd has such an awesome slide to it...snappy and quick. But its got another dead pixel...so I am just praying that my next one is the same.
    I hope it works out for you this time around!!!
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Give me a break - you think just because it's the exact same unusual user name, they're both from New Jersey, and they've both posted the exact same date of birth, it's the same guy?? You're paranoid, dude. There must be thousands of guys like that on the internet.
    Paranoid? Please.
    I looked up those links. It appears that the iphoneblog was formerly called the "Other Smartphones" subforum within treocentral.com.

Iphoneblog.com was then spun off as a sister site along with the blackberry sister site and the others sometime later.

It does look like those posts are mine however they were made years ago - in 2007. I have not posted in those forums since so I was not familiar with the title "iphoneblog.com"

I was arguing about the lack of innovation and palm's failures up to that point with staunch palm apologists - EVERYONE was fed up with palm at that point, so naturally apple was being used as a frame of reference.

That doesn't make me a plant. We were simply talking about palm's lack of innovation in that period.
    Last edited by treobk214; 06/29/2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Paranoid? Please. I'm just calling you out on your bull**** and you don't want to hear it..
    You give me a break! I am not and have never been a member of iphoneblog!!!!!!! The only site I have ever joined in terms of smartphone forums is treocentral. PERIOD.

Someone else( probably YOU ) is using my username, birthdate and "claiming" the same location because I can tell you for a fact those posts are NOT mine.
    Are you so freaking daft that you can't look at the USER PROFILE and see the join date was years ago well before you started blathering on here about being a Pre expert whilst not even owning one. The post in question is almost 2 years old. Unless someone has a time machine it would be pretty hard to fake post in a forum from 2 years ago with just to discredit you.

So we are all supposed to listen to your genius ramblings bashing the Pre but you can't even figure out how an Internet Forum works??? You created the Profile with YOUR home state, Date of Birth and your freaking YAHOO MESSENGER ID which is linked to both accounts BK_DDS

Just because you don't remember, doesn't make it some plot to discredit you. You are doing a pretty good job of that ALL BY YOURSELF!!!
    Palm Pre

I have handled the pre on several occasions as I was contemplating the upgrade. I know exactly what I'm talking about despite your efforts to say otherwise.

The interface looked interesting but I wasn't happy with the feel of the phone.
    I typed on the keyboard. I toyed with the slider to get a feel for the degree of durability - I found the sharp edges to be a bother and the keyboard was far too uncomfortable for me to use everyday.

I saw a few models with the screen splotching and the leakage so I speak from firsthand experience when I mention those observations.

I don't know why you find that so hard to believe - ANYONE can go into a sprint store, handle one, and experience for themselves very easily what people are complaining about here.

Are you telling me you have to OWN one to be able to say the keyboard is uncomfortable, the screen has dead pixels, light leakage and or splotching and the edges are sharp and the slider is flimsy or wobbly? You're telling me someone can't see those things for themselves while demo'ing the unit in the store?
    Are you so freaking daft that you can't look at the USER PROFILE and see the join date was years ago well before you started blathering on here about being a Pre expert whilst not even owning one. The post in question is almost 2 years old. Unless someone has a time machine it would be pretty hard to fake post in a forum from 2 years ago with just to discredit you.

So we are all supposed to listen to your genius ramblings bashing the Pre but you can't even figure out how an Internet Forum works??? You created the Profile with YOUR home state, Date of Birth and your freaking YAHOO MESSENGER ID which is linked to both accounts BK_DDS

Just because you don't remember, doesn't make it some plot to discredit you. You are doing a pretty good job of that ALL BY YOURSELF!!!
    I come here to voice my opinions about the latest phones in the market. I don't go looking up user profiles or their histories, as you seem to be preoccupied with here. That's pretty sad, by the way, if you ask me.

I know perfectly well how an internet forum functions, I just don't spend my time doing background checks, private investigations and research on other people's internet user profiles!!! That's beyond daft - that's just pathetic. The phrase "Get a life" comes to mind.

Show me where I claimed to be a pre expert. Other than give my personal opinions on the pre, where did I make that formal declaration anywhere here?
    I have handled the pre on several occasions as I was contemplating the upgrade. I know exactly what I'm talking about despite your efforts to say otherwise.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. So we've established that you are in fact the treobk214 who said:

"So no pro-apple posts are allowed in an iphone bashing thread? This is getting even better."

Despite calling everyone liars for pointing out your iPhone loving tendencies.

Since you asked, I personally do NOT think having 'handled the Pre on several occasions' qualifies you to make such harsh rebukes of the hardware and other issues that YOU yourself have NEVER encountered. You are just regurgitating what you have heard other owners post. Pretty much the classic case of 'jumping on the bandwagon'.

That's your prerogative and you are well within your rights to do so. Just don't get bent when someone calls you out for being unoriginal and inexperienced with the Pre.
    Palm Pre
    OK, now we are getting somewhere. So we've established that you are in fact the treobk214 who said:

"So no pro-apple posts are allowed in an iphone bashing thread? This is getting even better."

Despite calling everyone liars for pointing out your iPhone loving tendencies.

Since you asked, I personally do NOT think having 'handled the Pre on several occasions' qualifies you to make such harsh rebukes of the hardware and other issues that YOU yourself have NEVER encountered. You are just regurgitating what you have heard other owners post. Pretty much the classic case of 'jumping on the bandwagon'.

That's your prerogative and you are well within your rights to do so. Just don't get bent when someone calls you out for being unoriginal and inexperienced with the Pre.
    What sanctimonious garbage..
    So you think it is unoriginal to simply report one's own experiences with a phone here?

Listen, claiming you can determine what are a person's original thoughts vs what you "think" is regurgitation is really pretty damn presumptuous and laughable. Who are you Edgar Cayce now?

So even though I've handled the phone SEVERAL TIMES, spent a decent amount of time evaluating it in the store to see if its a good fit for me, AS MANY OTHERS HERE HAVE, there's just no possible way I could know what I'm talking about?

I guess anyone else who doesn't come back gushing over this phone is unoriginal, a plant, or simply regurgitating negative reviews read elsewhere. Their empirical evidence should just be thrown out the window I guess, huh? Only those who gush over the thing after buying it actually have credibility?

Go whistle.

Frankly, I don't see anything particularly inspiring about you or your level of originality. You're jumping on the fanboy bandwagon, nothing else, and the only thing I see you trying to "call out" here is your own overinflated ego. Makes me chuckle.
    Well, at least we've established who the liar is.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have a Palm Pre and its perfectly fine to me

As for the slider, there will be variations in fit and finish and I wouldn't be surprised if it changes over times. As for pixel issues, if my phone had one dead pixel, I'd be OK with it. I think with laptops and such, they won't replace the screen unless it has more than 5 dead pixels.

The people who try for a 3rd and 4th phone are crazy. If you are that picky, then a slider phone really isn't made for you. And to actually trade it out that many times because of those superficial things you can see on the top, you must not feel very confident about the parts/chips on the inside either. Why waste your money on something you feel is cheap and not up to your standards?
    I hope it works out for you this time around!!!
    I've had only 1 minor annoyance with sprint doing these returns. I made it clear that I would not take a refurb. I will continue to sort through them until I get one that is free of any major defects. Wouldn't do this with any phone, but man this Pre is AWESOME!

What sanctimonious garbage..
    So you think it is unoriginal to simply report one's own experiences with a phone here?

Listen, claiming you can determine what are a person's original thoughts vs what you "think" is regurgitation is really pretty damn presumptuous and laughable. Who are you Edgar Cayce now?

So even though I've handled the phone SEVERAL TIMES, spent a decent amount of time evaluating it in the store to see if its a good fit for me, AS MANY OTHERS HERE HAVE, there's just no possible way I could know what I'm talking about?

I guess anyone else who doesn't come back gushing over this phone is unoriginal, a plant, or simply regurgitating negative reviews read elsewhere. Their empirical evidence should just be thrown out the window I guess, huh? Only those who gush over the thing after buying it actually have credibility?

Go whistle.

Frankly, I don't see anything particularly inspiring about you or your level of originality. You're jumping on the fanboy bandwagon, nothing else, and the only thing I see you trying to "call out" here is your own overinflated ego. Makes me chuckle.
    Your experiances amount to playing with it a few times. Why not preface your posts with that then? Because the things you are repeating are not the experiences of a lot of "owners". Further more it is pretty lame to be trolling on forums for enthusiasts of a device you've never owned. Seriously dude...get a life.

Serveral times? How many E-mail accounts have you set up? What was it like using pandora and telenav at the same time on your way to a new resturant? You know nothing about this phone. Your just repeating things you've read. Almost as if your jealous that other people have the phone and you don't or something...so everyone should know its not as cool as people on an enthusiasts website think... And you just earned a place in my ignore list. What a Bag....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/29/2009 at 05:13 PM.

I got my third Pre on Saturday (first had horrible wi-fi reception, second had numerous dead pixels and was HORRIBLY wobbly). I'm glad to say my third one so far is great (perfect screen, not wobbly, good reception, etc.). Warranty date is 6/20/09.

FWIW, I noticed that what I was thinking were "stuck" pixels in the past is actually the grid (probably for touch screen). Depending on light and how I hold the phone, different spots of the dot grid show up and look kind of like stuck pixels. I wonder how many people are mistaking this for the pixels.