Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just thinking how cool this form factor would be for the Pre.
    Slide up screen as usual but then swivel screen for landscape typing...

I've seen a couple phones like this without the qwerty keyboard just the dial pad.

What do you think?

PS.
    Here some other pix I had fun with.

Last edited by Mannyman; 06/22/2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    more complex parts to break down
  3. joelpalm
    Pass
    There would be more parts to break. I can live with having to use the keyboard in portrait only.
  5.    #5  
    Maybe if Palm switched manufacturers you'd trust the durability more?
    Looks nice, but more complex than a slider.

I'd be happier with a virtual landscape keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    I was just thinking how cool this form factor would be for the Pre.
    Slide up screen as ususal but then swivel screen for landscape typing...
    I think Palm tried out the swivel keyboard in their prototyping phase and thought it was too funky.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    i think that would be cool.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    mine almost does this as it is. (ok, slight exageration.)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    if the swivel mechanism were really loose it could also double as a fan!
    hmmm it would be okay.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30 View Post
    I think Palm tried out the swivel keyboard in their prototyping phase and thought it was too funky.

That was shown in a Korean blog about the COMPUTEX Taipei, or Taipei International Information Technology Show.
    BlogTimes - Mobile Korea Blog News Network :: UMPC™€ MID 이Œ€œ 무„ˆ€Š” ƒ인€?
    Last edited by Mannyman; 06/22/2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo
    That would be cool but if it "has" to have a physical keyboard, I'd prefer a more useful wider sideways slider, like the G1.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    That would be cool but if it "has" to have a physical keyboard, I'd prefer a more useful wider sideways slider, like the G1.
    I have such a phone now, the HTC TyTN. You lose one-hand-usability. Not happy. I am switching to Pre as soon as possible.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Nah, I don't care for it.
    Simply put, it wouldn't be a Pre.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    Am I seriously the only one who types faster on keyboards that are laid out narrower than wider?

I've tried typing on the G1 and Sidekick. Slow as hell!

My speed on the Pre today when I tried it? Surprisingly fast, but the keys are a bit small.

My speed on a BlackBerry Pearl with SureType? Almost as fast as I type on my laptop, which I assure you is a very high WPM.

Not to mention that I can only type without looking on the narrower keyboards and not on the wider ones. Am I highly preferential?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I have such a phone now, the HTC TyTN. You lose one-hand-usability. Not happy. I am switching to Pre as soon as possible.
    I think it would be cool if you could both slide up with portrait with 2 clicks, or slide up and swivel with one click up! So you could have the existing portrait orientation with exposed keyboard for one handed use and a landscape one with keyboard for 2 handed use.

It would be a very complex mechanism to get right I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrboba View Post
    Am I seriously the only one who types faster on keyboards that are laid out narrower than wider?

I've tried typing on the G1 and Sidekick. Slow as hell!

My speed on the Pre today when I tried it? Surprisingly fast, but the keys are a bit small.

My speed on a BlackBerry Pearl with SureType? Almost as fast as I type on my laptop, which I assure you is a very high WPM.

Not to mention that I can only type without looking on the narrower keyboards and not on the wider ones. Am I highly preferential?
    naw man i'm wit you on that one on the landscape keyboard my thumbs have to go to far to get to the next key so i'm way faster as well on a smaller keyboard
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I think it would be cool if you could both slide up with portrait with 2 clicks, or slide up and swivel with one click up! So you could have the existing portrait orientation with exposed keyboard for one handed use and a landscape one with keyboard for 2 handed use.
    I agree with you. It would be nice if the narrow keyboard would swivel so that I could use it landscape 2 handed or maybe even landscape one handed.

The posted I replied to suggested wider keyboard and I opposed that based on my experience with my current phone. I did like the Treo 600 keyboard and am switching my current landscape keyboard device to Pre which is an improvement over the Treo form factor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast