Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so I'm very surprised this hasn't been discussed more, after the uproar with the 800w.

I assume it's probably because the only GPS programs that we have require data for maps, but still.

Using the ##GPS# code, I attempted a few tests. The answer, from my testing, appears to be no. Now I guess it's not as big an issue since that's what they always stated in advertisements this time, but it'd still be nice.

First, with the phone on and Wifi on I got a fix.
    Phone off Wifi On: got a fix.
    Airplane mode: got a fix.

But then, I remembered that some people with the 800w were confused because it already had what it needed from the assisted GPS, so I did a restart, with the phone still in Airplane mode.

After the restart:
    Airplane mode: "Error Occurred."
    I turned on Wifi: "Error Occurred."

Then I thought maybe turning on Airplane mode just turns off the GPS chip as well, so I turned off Airplane mode and used the hack on the Dev Wiki to only turn off the phone radio, and then restarted.

Unfortunately for that test, restarting the phone turned the radio back on. However, I tried immediately turning the radio off again, and went back in and did the test one last time, and of course, "Error Occurred."

This test was performed indoors, so it might be slightly flawed, but at a window where I've got three standalone GPS units that get a fix perfectly.

I'd love to hear others' findings as well, but it appears that unfortunately the Pre does not support a standalone GPS mode.
    When you turn on Airplane mode it will turn off ALL radios within the phone. This includes bluetooth, wifi, GPS, phone radio. This is the reason why it is called airplane mode, no radios allowed.

EDIT:
    jhoff80 as of now it's impossible to only turn off the phone radio. The only way to do this is to turn on airplane mode. Which turn off everything.
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/22/2009 at 02:07 PM.
    I'm pretty sure it uses the cell towers to get a general fix and then the GPS satellites to get specific. I'm not sure if you can get the GPS radio on with the others off. I guess you would have to go someplace with no signal at all and try to get a fix. Only time I had no signal at all within the past year I was in Yellowstone but I'm not gonna be anywhere in the boonies anytime soon to test this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    When you turn on Airplane mode it will turn off ALL radios within the phone. This includes bluetooth, wifi, GPS, phone radio. This is the reason why it is called airplane mode, no radios allowed.
    Yes, but if you read the full post it also didn't get a fix with just the phone radio turned off.
    What good would it be if it were stand alone? You would not have any maps or applications that could access it without a data connection.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    What good would it be if it were stand alone? You would not have any maps or applications that could access it without a data connection.
    It's actually not that big of an issue for me. That being said, I can envision a bunch of scenarios where this would be useful. For hikers, campers, etc, the GPS coordinates can be more important than the maps. The same goes for geocaching.

Or as another example, if we want an Intelligolf type program where you download the courses beforehand, and that sort of thing.

Just because there aren't any programs that can take advantage yet doesn't mean it's not worth exploring.
    Yes it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    Yes it does.
    But why?

(obscure Harold and Kumar reference in there)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Yes it does, and you should be able to do Standalone GPS in Airplane mode, but you need to be outside away from buildings. Standalone GPS does not work well inside buildings or even next to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    Yes it does.
    I'm with jhoff80. He raises a good point which I want and answer to, even if you don't.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This test was performed indoors, so it might be slightly flawed, but at a window where I've got three standalone GPS units that get a fix perfectly.
    What were the 3 GPS units? If the devices are not phones it's not really a fair test
    Didn't Palm say that its not a stand-alone chip? I thought I read that somewhere...
    Being a 'web-centric' device would conclude that this device was not designed to be w/o data & the assistance given by it. That said, I doubt cell towers can give you altitude (which the ##GPS# does).
    Check out TI's spec on the OMAP3 chipset. There is a separate chip and separate antenna for GPS. Which means it is a true GPS.

No more guess work is needed.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    Check out TI's spec on the OMAP3 chipset. There is a separate chip and separate antenna for GPS. Which means it is a true GPS.

No more guess work is needed.
    That might be true, however the phone is not wired for it.
    You guys are going to be so disappointed. LOL You might as well just start the class action suit now
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I did a trip last week across south central to south eastern Kansas, set up telenav just to see how well it did. started out in a good signal zone, then went to roaming then no signal then moved back into signal again. the maps and gps did pretty good until roaming. in roaming it still showed me moving but I was off the highway and running parallel to it. In a no signal area the map sorta faded away and was just displaying me moving. Even though there wasn't a real map at that point you could still tell the GPS was still tracking my movements, course changes, and stops and starts. And when I got back a signal the map picked up and showed my current position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    What were the 3 GPS units? If the devices are not phones it's not really a fair test
    Can't you give a more definitive answer to the question, is the GPS able to operate stand-alone?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Having a gps antenna, does not guarantee it has real standalone gps, all a gps antenna indicates is that it can read the gps satellites, and doesn't strictly rely on cellular triangulation. Real standalone gps does not need anything else (such as a cell tower) for the initial cold-start location fix, using gps is not the same as cold-starting with gps only. The only way to test it would be, to reset the gps data, and then try to get a fix with no reception at, in Europe for example.

Considering the qualcomm chip in the pre is almost the same as the one in the 800w, I wouldn't have my hopes up for real standalone gps, it's a limitation placed there by qualcomm, maybe it's a licensing issue, and if it's anything like the 800w, you can talk to palm till your blue in the face and wont get anywhere.
    Interesting thread.

Possibly a dumb question here, but why would airplane mode turn off the GPS. Isn't the GPS just a receiver? I thought that It doesn't transmit so it doesn't emitt EM to interfere with a plane's systems.
    without going into technical details, do u guys able to use sprint navigation (where it shows your location) while on a call? I just figured when I didnt pay attention and had to hang up call in order to get sprint navigation to give me route again. Is it software issue where sprint navigation is getting its data through evdo or is it issue with gps chip that it cant locate you when data is interrupted.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast