Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Like I said before, I was on the deck (outside) of a boat in the baltic sea for 30 min on 2 occasions testing it. The only time it would show a loc after a reboot was if wifi was on; then it said my location was in the nearest harbor (the boat had internet).

I suppose its possible it needs more than 30 minutes to get a real unasisted gps lock.
    My BT GPS unit can take hours to get a fix if you are moving, a few minutes if you are stationary. I'm guessing the boat was moving so that may have an impact.
    I'm in my hotel room in Madrid Spain now and there is obviously no Sprint network, but Sprint Navigation has pinpointed me out to Calle Prado. So I guess it works without the network. haven't tried moving yet. will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by checko07 View Post
    I'm in my hotel room in Madrid Spain now and there is obviously no Sprint network, but Sprint Navigation has pinpointed me out to Calle Prado. So I guess it works without the network. haven't tried moving yet. will let you know.
    Try the methods that were previously stated in this thread and then let us know. Have wifi off, turn phone into airplane mode, shutdown phone. After reboot keep wifi off and in airplane mode and wait 5, maybe 10 minutes. Then try and get a GPS lock by typing ##gps# (##477#) into the phone dialer. Let us know the results after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Try the methods that were previously stated in this thread and then let us know. Have wifi off, turn phone into airplane mode, shutdown phone. After reboot keep wifi off and in airplane mode and wait 5, maybe 10 minutes. Then try and get a GPS lock by typing ##gps# (##477#) into the phone dialer. Let us know the results after this.
    Doing those steps while I was in Europe still gave me results, they were just the last results the phone had. Rebooting doesn't wipe them.

He'd have to look at the coordinates, move a great distance, reboot, and look again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    I have seen implementations of GPS on phones where it takes 30 minutes plus before they get a GPS fix if there is no cell signal GPS assistance available.

IMO an implementation of GPS of that type is broken and not very useful, but it would show that the phone is technically standalone GPS capable, just not standalone GPS capable from a practical standpoint.
    Then I guess it's possible the Pre does have standalone GPS, especially if I was moving. I did try it on land, outside, a few times - but not for more than a couple minutes (it didn't work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Then I guess it's possible the Pre does have standalone GPS, especially if I was moving. I did try it on land, outside, a few times - but not for more than a couple minutes (it didn't work).
    Yeah. I wonder if it does but people are just not waiting long enough. Maybe while it is trying to find the satellites it gives you the last known coordinates. I wonder if checko07 could move and test some different methods. Is there any way to clear the gps cache short of doing a full or partial erase?
    I just bought Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009, which comes with a decent 12-channel GPS receiver, and I could NEVER get it to lock if I was moving... it took me two tries, of 30 minutes to get it to lock the first time.

God bless A-GPS. My carputer is using this standalone reciever, and it STINKS. I have a few of them, and performance is similar. If you drive a fair distance, without GPS running, then turn it back on, it freaks out, and take forever to lock, since it doesn't get that A-GPS data.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Lets put a end to this thread.

Tested in Airplane mode

Go to Device info Icon
    --->>> More Info Button

Goto Preference Menu and select

Interactive tests

Scroll Down to Global Positioning Services and run that test.

I will give you:

Date
    Timestamp
    Latitude
    Longitude
    Altitude

This all done with all radios OOFFFF in "AIRPLANE MODE"

Bruce
  9. pru
    I'd like to know why Google Maps thought I was 2 blocks east of the bar's outdoor patio where I was sitting last night in Washington DC, while Sprint Navigation claimed I was 2 blocks west of said bar, and neither of them had it right. Meanwhile, my friend's iphone's Google Maps, sitting on the same table as my pre, located us perfectly. Don't both pre softwares on my phone use the same GPS info? Or is it not GPS? Why did his Google Map work and not mine?
    OK, I found that it only pinpoints a pretty accurate location only when the Pre is connected to a wifi network. When Wifi is off and Airplane is on or off I get no connection via GPS.

Sorry for the delay in answering, but my wife is already angry that I took the laptop and Pre with me on Vacation.
    I can confirm that it is "standalone" GPS.

When you need it most, it will fail and leave you "standing alone" wondering where the heck you are.

Joe
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Next week I'll be in Canada on an island with no Sprint service. I'll have my Pre and my Garmin standalone. As was mentioned before, I was hoping to snap some pics and have them geotagged. After reading all 8 pages of this post, there still does not seem to be a definitive answer as to whether geotagging the pics will work or not. I plan on testing using the various methods mentioned and post my results when I return week after next.

Update: Just got an email back from Sprint, not that what they say is always true, however:
    Thank you for contacting Sprint with your enquiry for using your phone’s
    GPS feature in Canada.

Unfortunately, as there is no coverage available in Salt Spring Island,
    you would not be able to access the GPS feature, as it will require
    network. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause to you.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. We appreciate your business with
    us.

Sincerely,
    James B.
    Sprint

=============================================================
    Original Question: Will my Pre's GPS work in Canada?
    Question: Will my Pre's GPS work in Canada? Specifically on Salt Spring
    Island. There does not appear to be cell coverage there, but will my GPS
    still work, giving me at least Lat and Long readings?
    =============================================================
    Last edited by tygern8r; 07/16/2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added response from Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    I can confirm that it is "standalone" GPS.

When you need it most, it will fail and leave you "standing alone" wondering where the heck you are.

Joe
    If you're using it for cave spelunking, you're doing it all wrong.
    Hey, did I just stumble upon an old Treo 800w thread? Talk about deja vu!
    Quote Originally Posted by checko07 View Post
    OK, I found that it only pinpoints a pretty accurate location only when the Pre is connected to a wifi network. When Wifi is off and Airplane is on or off I get no connection via GPS.

Sorry for the delay in answering, but my wife is already angry that I took the laptop and Pre with me on Vacation.
    Actually it pinpoints very accurately. You needed the network in order to get the maps though. But when I opened up Google Maps and zoomed into my location to precache the map images and then turned airplane mode on and walked around my neighborhood, it tracked me perfectly. Even from one side of an alley to the other (only about 10 ft or so difference).
    Hey all,
    I just saw that discusson and found it interesting since I had it yesterday night with a friend who an Iphone 3gs. Not here to bash, I am a pre fan and developer.
    But my friend was using Motion X GPS on his Iphone. My beliefs were that no phone could be a true GPS and would rely on network or WIFi. Well, he does field work in his job, and he kept saying that this work standalone with no network or wifi, commnucating directly with satelites. I did not believe him but went on Motion X wesite later and he does seem that he works that way!?
    May be I did not understand. But what about the Pre? Can we expect the same? could Motion X be developped fo the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by PREvision View Post
    Hey all,
    I just saw that discusson and found it interesting since I had it yesterday night with a friend who an Iphone 3gs. Not here to bash, I am a pre fan and developer.
    But my friend was using Motion X GPS on his Iphone. My beliefs were that no phone could be a true GPS and would rely on network or WIFi. Well, he does field work in his job, and he kept saying that this work standalone with no network or wifi, commnucating directly with satelites. I did not believe him but went on Motion X wesite later and he does seem that he works that way!?
    May be I did not understand. But what about the Pre? Can we expect the same? could Motion X be developped fo the Pre?
    Motion X requires a lot of network access... I don't see how it's any different than the Pre.

Does anyone know what happens on the iPhone when you lose coverage while using GPS? I know it sure keeps working on the Pre...
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Pre can communicate directly with satellites and does all the location calculation on the phone, once it gets first fix.

At dispute is whether the current implementation can get the first fix w/o network assistance. From a technical standpoint it should be possible to get first fix w/o network assistance with the hardware that is in the Pre but Palm has a history here and messed up the implementation in the Treo 800w (first fix needed network) and people are concerned the same thing happened here because folks are getting conflicting reports.

If you want to see just the part about GPS working directly with satellites, just start Telenav then turn Airplane mode mode on (which disables the phone radio and wifi) and you will see position continue to be updated.

No need for Motion X, the Qualcomm chipset handles the on device GPS calculations and Telenav or Google Maps will map your location assuming you cached the maps if you plan on using where there is no cell signal. Just make sure you get the GPS first fix before leaving cell phone signal coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Pre can communicate directly with satellites and does all the location calculation on the phone, once it gets first fix.

At dispute is whether the current implementation can get the first fix w/o network assistance. From a technical standpoint it should be possible to get first fix w/o network assistance with the hardware that is in the Pre but Palm has a history here and messed up the implementation in the Treo 800w (first fix needed network) and people are concerned the same thing happened here because folks are getting conflicting reports.

If you want to see just the part about GPS working directly with satellites, just start Telenav then turn Airplane mode mode on (which disables the phone radio and wifi) and you will see position continue to be updated.

No need for Motion X, the Qualcomm chipset handles the on device GPS calculations.
    Just to add to this... Palm could, and likely would enable the ability to get first-lock without network if an application that used it actually existed--ie a standalone GPS application... wayfinder, etc...

I am curious if the SDK has the ability to manually call-up the GPS protocol and enable the chip, because at this point, we are relying ONLY on software that uses the network to give us GPS info... who knows how those programs handle that situation...

If you think about it, Google Maps and Telenav are 100% completely, utterly worthless without network at first-lock... So they might have it set to not even bother turning on GPS.

For built-in API-use of GPS, again, we don't really know what calls are required to update that stuff... by default, it might only use A-GPS tower data... in fact, I would almost bet on it, since it ALWAYS has that data available... running real gps all the time would use up too many resources...

I have high hopes for this, but I will not be hurt if Palm never enables this stuff, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If you're using it for cave spelunking, you're doing it all wrong.
    I suppose you're going to try to tell me I can't use my prprpr&#$275$; $while$ $snorkling$ $either$!

As far as I can tell, the GPS is - when on - always receiving 3D location information, accessible through the diagnostics or the ##GPS# trick. The downside is that all the map data is retrieved OTA so unless you have a good data signal, your navigation data is somewhat Heisenbergian. You may know exactly where you are, but since you don't know where anything else is; fat lot of good it does you!

In theory, if we were willing to sacrifice some of that 8 gig of storage, Telenav or Garmin or somebody could sell a downloadable nav database that would work anywhere we could get a Sat signal.

And, I'm assuming that the periodic inability to lock onto a satellite signal will be fixed in an upcoming software patch.

Joe
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast