Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactusone View Post
    I am disappointed (once again) that we were lied to regarding stand alone GPS.

I fly to Hawaii 5-6 times a month and have tested the GPS. Phone definitely needs either Wifi or coverage to acquire a gps fix.

I have tried all options.... argh!
    I must have missed where the user manual claims to have full, standalone GPS capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I just went through the whole thread, interesting points.

Before I bought the phone on launch day the rep told us we "had to except Google's licenses agreement or else GPS would not work".

That doesn't sound like stand alone to me. One of the first things I did was test the GPS accuracy, I've been under the impression aGPS isn't as accurate.
    It pin pointed me exactly and navigated me to the closest IHOP so I'm happy either way.
    Exactly, the GPS works wonders, even if you lose signal.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    You could pre load the Pre with maps of the universe and people would still complain....
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I had TomTom on my Treo and it worked wonderfully. I'm hoping that they'll allow Tomtom or someone else to write a stand-alone version that doesn't require internet connection. When I went to Europe, I loaded European maps from TomTom and used the Treo like a Palm OS device and not a phone. It worked fine. The same could work for the Pre.

Unfortunately, TomTom isn't updated maps for the Palm OS version so I can't continue to use the Treo as an up-to-date navigation system (I used GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS to get the GPS signal).
    It's likely they might make a third-party application, since we have plenty of room for map data.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Tell us how you timed how long it takes for the Palm Pre to get a GPS location lock? (If it's anything like your attempt to test stand alone GPS, this should be entertaining .)
    No problem. I click on Google Maps, and my location pops up before the Pre can even draw the screen. That's all that matters. Nothing on the back-end matters--only the end-result.

And while you're at it, can you tell us the difference between a warm and a cold GPS boot? I'm talking cold, but I suspect you're talking warm, just like your (inaccurate) stand alone GPS test was off a warm GPS boot.

And the Treo 800w proponents also said stand alone GPS could be implemented, never happend. Potential means NOTHING if it never happens.
    None of this matters, since we don't have standalone GPS software to supplement your standalone hardware requirement. If or when this software gets built, they can adjust the funtionality to work fully-standalone.

No the Pre does not have the same hardware as the Touch Pro.

I'm just going to stop here and say with all due respect, that you have a bit to learn. I'm sure you will in time
    "GPS / LBS || gpsOne"
    HTC Touch Pro (CDMA - PhoneNews.com Phone Encyclopedia Wiki)

Damn, there sure is a lot of mis-information floating around, because I was 99% sure the Touch Pro, the Diamond, the Touch, and even the Pre used this chipset. I only checked so that I could give you a URL to read for yourself.

Is there some magical difference between the gpsOne chip in the Touch Pro, versus the one in the Pre? I'd love to see the technical documents you've acquired on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You are missing the point. This makes the Pre inferior to devices such as the Touch and even Mogul, over 2 years old.

On my HTC Touch I had 3 gigs of maps loaded on it and used GPS while camping and hiking all the time. The Pre can't do that.
    I could talk on the phone for a long time, load up preloaded maps with GPS all the time with my touch. Pre can't do that.
    On my trip to Mexico in February I was able to find my way around without a cell signal using GPS and preloaded maps. Pre can't do that.

You clearly didn't use custom roms then, my Touch was badarse with gps and maps (just slow with everything else).
    No reason why they can't enable this functionality when the software exists to actually DO this. I also wouldn't go so far as to say the Pre's GPS is inferior, considering WM phones' GPS performance was much slower than the Pre currently is. I think you are living in a pipe dream with the times you report, because I have flashed somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 times between the Touch, Diamond, and Touch Pro. I was there for every baby-step, from when we had no GPS at all on the Touch.

GPS performance on the Touch typically (with the latest 'popular' ROMs from a somewhat controversial cook, (some of the best ROMs to come out for the device,) was typically 20-30 seconds cold, outdoors, cleaer sky, and about 10 seconds warm, and 2-5 seconds REALLY HOT lock. Inside, you may never get a lock, because HTC devices do not play well with the A-GPS data. I never once got a GPS lock in my datacenter with my Touch, Diamond, or Touch Pro, and I can tell you it definitely wasn't from a lack of trying.

GPS on the Touch would "lock up," or freeze, if you tried to use it, then powered off the phone, or if it came on in the background, and the device suspended on its own accord. I can't see how you can picture these as being 'superior' to the Pre's instantaneous locks. The longest time I've ever seen is about 2 seconds. I'm sure it CAN take longer, but I've never seen it. That's the beauty of A-GPS, you get a fairly-accurate lock instantly, then it becomes more detailed as the GPS hits the satellites.

Some of us are "up in arms" because the Pre is suppose to be cutting edge and it has inferior GPS abilities compared to many other older smartphones that are so archaic in every other way it's very ironic that they are still better with GPS.

It's not a deal breaker for me. It's just annoying that the Pre is 10 steps forward from my Touch and 2 steps back.
    Explain how it is inferior, when the aspects you desire are simply not enabled, because there is no need for it until there is supporting software? This would be like saying that a Dodge Viper is inferior to a Dodge Challenger, because they haven't released a tire yet that takes full advantage of the raw horsepower. Give it time man.

Quote Originally Posted by PWguy View Post
    Different people expect different things from "stand alone GPS." I don't expect any program that uses maps and information downloaded from the Internet to work. I have dedicated GPS units that use maps stored in memory for that sort of thing.

What I have wanted very much is to be able to record the fix of a location of interest when I don't have a dedicated GPS with me. My previous Sprint phone would not do this and I wasn't happy.

I just got back from a short drive to a location with no cellular coverage of any kind; voice, data or roaming. I was using Sprint Navigation during the drive and when I first lost data service the application continued to work for a while then the map updating quit and finally the map went away and an icon came up indicating no GPS.

I pulled over and started the Device Info application then went to "More Info" at the bottom of the screen then "Interactive Tests" from the "Preferences" menu at the top left then chose "Global Positioning Services" at the bottom.

The coordinates given were 1" different in latitude and longitude from what my Acura factory GPS was displaying. These coordinates were recorded using a screen shot. The automobile GPS screen was recorded using the Pre camera.

This is what I want to be able to do and I am happy. The phone can determine its position with the internal GPS in an area of no signal coverage. Now I didn't reboot the phone and try it again. That never would have occurred to me until I read this entire thread just now.

By the way, I find it quite remarkable, in areas of data coverage, to drive along with Google Maps running in the satellite photo mode. I do like to rotate the phone on my car mounted touchstone so that it is approximately course up. That is not something that the ordinary dedicated GPS can do. I have seen it done with laptop computers, but that requires pre-loading very large data files for relatively small areas.
    See, for 99% of ALL SCENARIOS, using the current software, the GPS works fine. It's that 1%, I suppose, that these people are getting upset about. It's also a good mixture of people not understanding the hardware, and exactly how Palm is using it. Airplane mode could set flags, or being in another country, or who knows what--could cause it to act up with GPS.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I must have missed where the user manual claims to have full, standalone GPS capabilities.

Exactly, the GPS works wonders, even if you lose signal.

Bingo

It's likely they might make a third-party application, since we have plenty of room for map data.

No problem. I click on Google Maps, and my location pops up before the Pre can even draw the screen. That's all that matters. Nothing on the back-end matters--only the end-result.

None of this matters, since we don't have standalone GPS software to supplement your standalone hardware requirement. If or when this software gets built, they can adjust the funtionality to work fully-standalone.

"GPS / LBS || gpsOne"
    HTC Touch Pro (CDMA - PhoneNews.com Phone Encyclopedia Wiki)

Damn, there sure is a lot of mis-information floating around, because I was 99% sure the Touch Pro, the Diamond, the Touch, and even the Pre used this chipset. I only checked so that I could give you a URL to read for yourself.

Is there some magical difference between the gpsOne chip in the Touch Pro, versus the one in the Pre? I'd love to see the technical documents you've acquired on the matter.

No reason why they can't enable this functionality when the software exists to actually DO this. I also wouldn't go so far as to say the Pre's GPS is inferior, considering WM phones' GPS performance was much slower than the Pre currently is. I think you are living in a pipe dream with the times you report, because I have flashed somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 times between the Touch, Diamond, and Touch Pro. I was there for every baby-step, from when we had no GPS at all on the Touch.

GPS performance on the Touch typically (with the latest 'popular' ROMs from a somewhat controversial cook, (some of the best ROMs to come out for the device,) was typically 20-30 seconds cold, outdoors, cleaer sky, and about 10 seconds warm, and 2-5 seconds REALLY HOT lock. Inside, you may never get a lock, because HTC devices do not play well with the A-GPS data. I never once got a GPS lock in my datacenter with my Touch, Diamond, or Touch Pro, and I can tell you it definitely wasn't from a lack of trying.

GPS on the Touch would "lock up," or freeze, if you tried to use it, then powered off the phone, or if it came on in the background, and the device suspended on its own accord. I can't see how you can picture these as being 'superior' to the Pre's instantaneous locks. The longest time I've ever seen is about 2 seconds. I'm sure it CAN take longer, but I've never seen it. That's the beauty of A-GPS, you get a fairly-accurate lock instantly, then it becomes more detailed as the GPS hits the satellites.

Explain how it is inferior, when the aspects you desire are simply not enabled, because there is no need for it until there is supporting software? This would be like saying that a Dodge Viper is inferior to a Dodge Challenger, because they haven't released a tire yet that takes full advantage of the raw horsepower. Give it time man.

See, for 99% of ALL SCENARIOS, using the current software, the GPS works fine. It's that 1%, I suppose, that these people are getting upset about. It's also a good mixture of people not understanding the hardware, and exactly how Palm is using it. Airplane mode could set flags, or being in another country, or who knows what--could cause it to act up with GPS.
    Seriously, if it doesn't matter to you, then stop posting on this thread. There are some of us who would like the capability to have it work as another option. You clearly have no need for it, but some of us would like it Both Beanis and myself have already mentioned that it isn't a dealbreaker, but it'd be nice to have. It's not the end of the world, no. Are there times it'd be nice? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Seriously, if it doesn't matter to you, then stop posting on this thread. There are some of us who would like the capability to have it work as another option. You clearly have no need for it, but some of us would like it Both Beanis and myself have already mentioned that it isn't a dealbreaker, but it'd be nice to have. It's not the end of the world, no. Are there times it'd be nice? Yes.
    I understand. Its just annoying to hear "they lied," or "the GPS is inferior," when neither of those are true. I never saw any paperwork that said this was meant to work this way, but its nice to know it can easily be enabled. I just can't figure out all the complaining, since we already know the Pre is capable of what you guys want. You sound like broken records at this point. I'm glad this isn't a deal breaker for you, because you'd miss out on an amazing device!
  4.    #104  
    I understand. Its just annoying to hear "they lied," or "the GPS is inferior," when neither of those are true. I never saw any paperwork that said this was meant to work this way, but its nice to know it can easily be enabled. I just can't figure out all the complaining, since we already know the Pre is capable of what you guys want. You sound like broken records at this point. I'm glad this isn't a deal breaker for you, because you'd miss out on an amazing device!
    Except two people who tried to use it like that said it's not.
    I'm sooo confused by this thread... and yes I would love to have a GPS that would work no matter where I am and whether I have phone or WiFi coverage. For example in a foreign country it's nice to mark the location of your hotel or a point of interest you want to come back to later. Even if you don't have a map, you can tell where you are relative to that point of interest and travel toward it.

I'm avoiding the use of terms like "stand alone" "assisted" etc. since there is so much controversy over what those terms mean. Also I'm not interested in what the device "should" be able to do or what it's advertised to do, I want to know what it DOES, currently.

So what I gather is this (Beanis's post was very helpful):

• If you turn on the device and have a cell signal, you can quickly acquire a location fix and continue to use the GPS even if you lose cell coverage. Of course, if you lose cell coverage, your maps won't update but the device will still show your location. This will continue until you turn off your device, even if you travel for many hours or miles from the last cell signal.
    • If you turn on the device and DON'T have a cell signal or WiFi, all you get is the last known location and you're stuck.
    • If you turn on the device and DON'T have a cell signal but DO have WiFi, all you get is the WiFi provider's location and you're stuck.

Am I right?
    I did try that while in Europe. I turned Airplane mode off and ran google maps and sprint telenav. Telenav just outright said it wouldn't work. Google maps showed the last GPS location I had (if wifi was off) or showed the area I was in with a large circle around it (if wifi was on).

I think the Pre's software only fires up the GPS chip second, only after getting a triangulation through towers. If it can't, it won't turn on the GPS chip at all. In fact, I would bet $100 that's what it does.

In other words, when the Pre runs an app saying looking for location it goes something like this:

Do I have a cell signal? If so, load my general location and activate GPS for more accuracy.

If no cell signal, do I have a Wifi signal? If so, grab any location information from the ISP possible and leave GPS off.

If no cell or Wifi signal, keep GPS off and display last known coordinates.
    yes that is how the software is configured as of today.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I'm sooo confused by this thread... and yes I would love to have a GPS that would work no matter where I am and whether I have phone or WiFi coverage. For example in a foreign country it's nice to mark the location of your hotel or a point of interest you want to come back to later. Even if you don't have a map, you can tell where you are relative to that point of interest and travel toward it.

I'm avoiding the use of terms like "stand alone" "assisted" etc. since there is so much controversy over what those terms mean. Also I'm not interested in what the device "should" be able to do or what it's advertised to do, I want to know what it DOES, currently.

• If you turn on the device and have a cell signal, you can quickly acquire a location fix and continue to use the GPS even if you lose cell coverage. Of course, if you lose cell coverage, your maps won't update but the device will still show your location. This will continue until you turn off your device, even if you travel for many hours or miles from the last cell signal.
    • If you turn on the device and DON'T have a cell signal or WiFi, all you get is the last known location and you're stuck.
    • If you turn on the device and DON'T have a cell signal but DO have WiFi, all you get is the WiFi provider's location and you're stuck.

Am I right?
    Nice summary!

Just finished reading through all posts, was very confused as well.

I'm outside US and I'm waiting for unlocked GSM Pre so I don't care about Sprint Navigation.

My question is, will the GPS chip on unlocked Pre work without GSM cell coverage and/or Wi-Fi?

Or will Pam enable it? I hope so considering that since the phone is unlocked they can not provide maps for every region.
    for f*s sake. sounds like the current software doesn't do a cold start when it doesn't sense a gps signal. that does not mean it doesn't have stand alone gps. that's something that can be addressed via software, either by palm or 3rd party (if sdk allows it, or homebrew hacks can figure it out).

not a huge deal at this point really.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    for f*s sake. sounds like the current software doesn't do a cold start when it doesn't sense a gps signal. ....
    The way I read it, it seems more like the software does not attempt to interrogate the satellites unless it gets an aGPS approximation.
    I would just like to point out that the location that comes up before google maps draws the screen is not GPS or even A-GPS. It is the auto-location features and background data collection information obtained off of the cell towers. Turn both of those off and you will see longer times to acquire a location. I think location features in google maps was made popular by phones that do not have GPS chips (centro, dumbphones, etc) Also, those features can be upwards of 2000 feet off. GPS will more than likely be in the range of 50 feet or less if you have a clear path to the sky. That end result you are seeing is nice but definitely won't be as nice when you have no cell phone service. I think that is what some of the people are trying to say.

I do agree that in the future that it could be possible to implement this, but who knows how long that will take. I am betting it will have to be from an outside app because I seriously doubt Palm will make this one of their priorities. It would be nice for them just to implement it into their sprint navigation though. I am just glad Palm didn't specifically advertise that it had standalone GPS like it did with the 800w. Kudos to them for not completely sucking.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Interesting thread.

Possibly a dumb question here, but why would airplane mode turn off the GPS. Isn't the GPS just a receiver? I thought that It doesn't transmit so it doesn't emitt EM to interfere with a plane's systems.
    Good point! GPS is an approved applications on some airplanes. I just saw it with my own eyes in the Southwest Airlines magazine. However, it looks like there are two classes of electronic devices: the kind that aren't allowed on any flight, and the kind that the individual airline can decide whether to allow or not.

FAA site with a little more information, but not much
    Well guys we already know GPS works fine in Airplane mode-- assuming the phone PREVIOUSLY had a lock. So Airplane mode does not turn off GPS, as you imagined.

I don't see any reason why Palm can't simply enable true standalone operation, for 3rd-party, "disconnected" GPS use. It's a matter of when that stuff actually exists. There are more important things to fix as it stands right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The way I read it, it seems more like the software does not attempt to interrogate the satellites unless it gets an aGPS approximation.
    yeah, mistype- should have said no cold start w/out cell signal.
    ... which is too bad. It seems like it would be simple enough to add a "new location" feature like most GPS devices have, where you tell the GPS approximately where you are, which greatly reduces the time to get an accurate location fix. Call that "HAGPS" - Human Assisted GPS. Those location fixes would still be of use to many of us (geocaching, foreign countries, location-stamping your pictures, etc.), even without a cell signal and the accompanying map downloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    ... which is too bad. It seems like it would be simple enough to add a "new location" feature like most GPS devices have, where you tell the GPS approximately where you are, which greatly reduces the time to get an accurate location fix. Call that "HAGPS" - Human Assisted GPS. Those location fixes would still be of use to many of us (geocaching, foreign countries, location-stamping your pictures, etc.), even without a cell signal and the accompanying map downloads.
    Or simply alert the user to the fact that, since no approximate position is available, the initial satellite fix will take a little longer, and do it.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Man, at least be honest about it. In another clone of this thread you clearly said that remarks in CES videos and what the presenters were trained to say specifically mentioned both modes (standalone and assisted) and that was why you insisted there would be standalone GPS during discussions prior to Pre's release. Now that Pre is released and the standalone is a broken implementation you go back and claim no knowledge? Or are we playing word games again by you saying you never saw any "paperwork" You didn't see any "paperwork" back then either, but was gung ho going by what they presented.

SprintUsers.com - View Single Post - [Pre] GPS Features & Functionality

Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    I think people should just admit they don't really know if there will be standalone GPS calculation for the *implementation* in the Pre. It might be there or it might not. Playing word games isn't going to make the feature appear or disappear. If Palm came out with a completely unambiguous statement like "Pre will definitely support standalone GPS" then that is news that we could somewhat depend on (not that they couldn't back off that statement, but it would be less likely)

Good thing there is a 30-day return period so you can figure out for yourself whether the feature set meets your needs.
    Yes we really don't know either way, but from the remarks in the CES videos, from what the presenters were trained to say, they specifically said it has both modes. That's what I am going off of, and quite-frankly, don't give a damn if it doesn't have standalone, myself. I agree that we don't really know.
    and in case there is any doubt what you said:

SprintUsers.com - View Single Post - [Pre] GPS Features & Functionality

Wow, you're still going on about this? Go watch all the CES videos again, and you will have your answer. Several people mention "Full aGPS...yes assisted as well as stand-alone."

This topic and/or argument couldn't be beaten more to death if we tried.

Read the specs on this phone. Tell me what kind of GPS it has.

HTC Touch (CDMA) / XV6900 Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

Then realize that it works perfectly fine without network assist.

Most modern claims of A-GPS are referring to a combination of network, as well as standalone. This is better than either by themselves.

To add fuel to the fire, the Instinct, Touch Pro, and Diamond ALL use A-GPS, and ALL work without network.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    for f*s sake. sounds like the current software doesn't do a cold start when it doesn't sense a gps signal. that does not mean it doesn't have stand alone gps. that's something that can be addressed via software, either by palm or 3rd party (if sdk allows it, or homebrew hacks can figure it out).

not a huge deal at this point really.
    Actually it clearly means the *implementation* doesn't do standalone GPS, regardless of whether hardware is capable.

Sure it should be something that is fixable in software but that is what most people thought about the broken standalone GPS in the Treo 800w and Palm never got around to fixing it. Despite their claim that it had standalone GPS when the phone was released they later backtracked and said essentially that it didn't.

That is why people are skeptical of Palm's claims and tend not to give them the benefit of the doubt. They did this whole charade before, less than a year ago.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    This is my theory about what the problem is.

GPS systems need to download the ephemeris information before they can talk to the GPS satellites in a meaningful manner. Ephemeris is the location information for where in the sky the satellites are. The ephemeris is good for 7 days. Since it takes a minute or more to get the ephemeris information from satellite (that's the main reason why you have long time to first fix on standalone GPS units) many implementations will cache the ephemeris once it is retrieved.

Mobile phones could get the ephemeris from many different places, from the cell network GPS assist servers, from WiFi through network download, or from the satellites themselves (just like standalone GPS units do)

It sounds like the Pre (and 800w) get the ephemeris only from the GPS assist servers on the cell network and don't try any of the other sources (or do try but it takes so long most people would say they don't try) It also sounds like Pre doesn't cache the ephemeris for use when the GPS assist servers on the cell network are unavailable.

HTC (Touch Diamond, Touch Pro) has an app called QuickGPS whose job is to download the ephemeris data every few days and cache it. Essentially as long as you have some data connection, wifi or cell network, the ephemeris cache can be kept up to date.

Admittedly I have no idea what is actually going wrong with Pre's GPS for standalone, but if it is what I suspect, they should probably work on
    1) caching ephemeris data once they get it no matter how they got it
    2) implementing something like QuickGPS that will try and keep ephemeris up to date through any data connection the user might have

Why none of the Qualcomm GPS implementations seem to get ephemeris from satellites, I don't know. Maybe they are just taking so long it seems they aren't even trying.
    Last edited by sfhub; 07/02/2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mencho View Post
    Nice summary!

Just finished reading through all posts, was very confused as well.

I'm outside US and I'm waiting for unlocked GSM Pre so I don't care about Sprint Navigation.

My question is, will the GPS chip on unlocked Pre work without GSM cell coverage and/or Wi-Fi?

Or will Pam enable it? I hope so considering that since the phone is unlocked they can not provide maps for every region.
    This is what is bothering me too. I have been reading all this Pre information with anticipation of getting a GSM version pretty much as soon as it is available.

I currently use a 680 with BT GPS. These days I have a stand-alone TomTom for the car but I still use TomTom on the 680, mainly when I am travelling and don't want to take a seperate GPS unit. I have maps loaded for the UK, Italy, France, Austria and Florida, just download them as needed before a trip. I also use waypoint software for finding geocaches that need no maps, again, mostly when on holiday.

It would be a real PITA if I couldn't use a Pre for the same without carrying a BT GPS. Clearly maps need to be preloaded as roaming in Europe/US is unlikely to give affordable access to data services away from the home (UK) network. Even at home the network is patchy in rural (i.e. holiday) locations which is precisely when I would be wanting to use the GPS function. It is not enough to rely on warm starts, my GPS almost always does a cold start when I want it as the use is infrequent.

Imagine having prepared for a foreign trip by preloading maps (for whatever mapping we get on the GSM version) arriving at the airport, picking up the hire car and finding that the GPS won't start up. This is not acceptable and would cut out well over half of my GPS usage.
    Just my experience, but I just got back from Europe and I did use my Pre there for WiFi and GPS. I don't believe that the phone triangulated my position based on the WiFi hubs, but rather that I got a GPS fix from a satellite. With WiFi and google maps it pinpointed my location quickly and gave me the map of where I was in Paris. I was then able to route a location to the Eiffel tower and walk there.