Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    For what its worth, I'd love to know the answer to this too. I regularly hike in areas with no cell reception, but where being able to get a GPS coordinate would allow me to place myself on a paper map (yes, some of us still use paper maps!). If the Pre could take the place of a GPS, that would be great!!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Can't you give a more definitive answer to the question, is the GPS able to operate stand-alone?
    The answer is yes. I have seen GPS work when I had no service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    The answer is yes. I have seen GPS work when I had no service.
    What software were you using?
  4.    #24  
    What software were you using?
    I assume for that he'd need to use the ##GPS# code because all of the programs for it need the internet, it seems.
    On the plus side, Google Maps seems to update in near realtime with GPS on. Verified while in a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I assume for that he'd need to use the ##GPS# code because all of the programs for it need the internet, it seems.
    Yes. That's what made me ask.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Yes. That's what made me ask.
    Yes, i used ##gps# , but when I had a wifi connection I also could use google maps fine. It also takes a bit longer to get a fix in no service
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiotkc View Post
    I did a trip last week across south central to south eastern Kansas, set up telenav just to see how well it did. started out in a good signal zone, then went to roaming then no signal then moved back into signal again. the maps and gps did pretty good until roaming. in roaming it still showed me moving but I was off the highway and running parallel to it. In a no signal area the map sorta faded away and was just displaying me moving. Even though there wasn't a real map at that point you could still tell the GPS was still tracking my movements, course changes, and stops and starts. And when I got back a signal the map picked up and showed my current position.
    I wonder if this is less GPS position and more on not getting the map data for your current location. I assume it is pulled down via data, rather than stored on the device. So the weird mapping could be data download speed issue.
    I have lost signal, and talked on the phone, and in both times GPS kept working, but the maps were not as current. The programs seem to download a basic route to the phone, in case you lose signal.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Interesting thread.

Possibly a dumb question here, but why would airplane mode turn off the GPS. Isn't the GPS just a receiver? I thought that It doesn't transmit so it doesn't emitt EM to interfere with a plane's systems.
    Correct. It's not a GPS "radio" there is no TRANSMITTER in your phone for GPS, only a receiver. The GPS satellites are always broadcasting out streams of data, 24/7. A GPS receiver looks at multiple of these streams, and is able to figure out where it is based on its position relative to the satellite. It's the age-old concept of "triangulation". There is no TX from your phone (or any GPS device) to the satellite.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    For what its worth, I'd love to know the answer to this too. I regularly hike in areas with no cell reception, but where being able to get a GPS coordinate would allow me to place myself on a paper map (yes, some of us still use paper maps!). If the Pre could take the place of a GPS, that would be great!!
    How do you zoom in on a paper map? Also, are there any websites that you can order these "paper" maps you speak of?

On a serious note, for those that have gotten a gps fix with no signal, how long has it taken to acquire a fix? I don't go out to where I don't have service often but when I did, I did not get a fix. I am most likely attributing that to my impatience though if it is in fact true standalone gps.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Interesting thread.

Possibly a dumb question here, but why would airplane mode turn off the GPS. Isn't the GPS just a receiver? I thought that It doesn't transmit so it doesn't emitt EM to interfere with a plane's systems.
    Why do you need to know exactly where your plane is, Osama?

GPS is not allowed to be used on planes per the FAA and FCC.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noktomezo View Post
    Why do you need to know exactly where your plane is, Osama?

GPS is not allowed to be used on planes per the FAA and FCC.
    This is actually false. It's not a transmitter, and GPS use on airplanes is allowed on a PER AIRLINE basis, not by FAA standards. Do some research before accusing your fellow forum members of being terrorists.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    I am going to drive out today where I KNOW I lose sprint signal. I will set my phone to Sprint Only, and see if I can still use GPS. Problem is, not many apps that use GPS, work without signal. What will probably happen is I will hit 1X for a while, the map application will FREAK out and have issues, and I won't have a reliable test. I could try leaving open ##GPS#
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    And, for the record, airlines which allow GPS use onboard. Now, granted, you wouldn't be able to view your google maps without a data connection, BUT, with the number of airlines rolling out on-board WiFi, it could be useful.

Airlines which APPROVE/DISPROVE GPS use in Flight
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Then I thought maybe turning on Airplane mode just turns off the GPS chip as well, so I turned off Airplane mode and used the hack on the Dev Wiki to only turn off the phone radio, and then restarted.

Unfortunately for that test, restarting the phone turned the radio back on. However, I tried immediately turning the radio off again, and went back in and did the test one last time, and of course, "Error Occurred."

This test was performed indoors, so it might be slightly flawed, but at a window where I've got three standalone GPS units that get a fix perfectly.
    I'm afraid this test doesn't really prove what you are trying to prove. Satellite acquisition is not instantaneous - if you reboot your standalone GPS units you'll see that it takes anywhere from one to eight minutes for them to get all the satellites they need to start doing positioning work - it's the same with any device (well, any non-military device, anyhow).
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    And, for the record, airlines which allow GPS use onboard. Now, granted, you wouldn't be able to view your google maps without a data connection, BUT, with the number of airlines rolling out on-board WiFi, it could be useful.

Airlines which APPROVE/DISPROVE GPS use in Flight
    They still won't let you use them during the first 20 minutes, or the last, so it's possible that Palm decided to turn off the GPS radio when it enters Airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    They still won't let you use them during the first 20 minutes, or the last.
    Well, correct, but that's true of any electronic device, regardless of radio presence or not.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    Well, correct, but that's true of any electronic device, regardless of radio presence or not.
    ... which is almost as silly as the restrictions on cell phones in the first place...
    "Systems and devices which are A-GPS only are, unlike Standalone GPS capable devices, tied to good signals from subscriber cellular phone networks, substantially limiting their area of operation."

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pre's GPS comes from the Qualcomm MSM6801A baseband chip

But further digging I found out the particular GPS system on the Pre is GpsOne:

gpsOne can operate in 4 modes:
    • Standalone - Your handset has no connection to the network, and uses only the GPS satellite signals it can currently receive to try and establish a location.
    • MS Based - Your handset is connected to the network, and uses the GPS signals + a location signal from the network.
    • MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..
    • MS Assisted/Hybrid - Same as above, but network functionality remains. Normally only in areas with exceptional coverage.

GpsOne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Product page:
    gpsOneŽ, Qualcomm gpsOneŽ, Location Based Service - QCTConnect.com

Last edited by deesugar; 06/22/2009 at 03:24 PM.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast