View Poll Results: How many times have you exhanged your Pre?

Voters
832. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is my 4th Time. Fifth Pre!! Really?!

31 3.73%
  • Third time's the charm. This is my fourth Pre.

29 3.49%
  • Twice. This is my third Pre.

100 12.02%
  • Once. This is my second Pre.

203 24.40%
  • None - First Pre and it's been perfect

469 56.37%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Wow 60% are on first and 25% on second , and 10% on third. The idiots in wallstreet say Pre's return rate is more than average. I am not sure what is average though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Wow 60% are on first and 25% on second , and 10% on third. The idiots in wallstreet say Pre's return rate is more than average. I am not sure what is average though.
    Well there's actually an article on this very site explaining that phenomenon.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Mine lasted about a month and a half, til the keyboard froze up on me this weekend. I'm on #2 now.. No biggie tho. Still love it.
    Interestingly, I fill out occasional surveys.
    While this one was about general purchases, one question stood out. I wonder if someone else is looking into return rates of the Pre?? Here's the question:

Please tell us which of the following statements, if any, best applies to you.
    (Select one)

I purchased a Palm Pre cell phone and exchanged if for another Palm Pre cell phone
    I purchased a Palm Pre cell phone and exchanged it for a different cell phone
    I currently own a Palm Pre cell phone
    I have never purchased/owned a Palm Pre cell phone

I have no idea who commissioned the survey.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I am on my 5th and final pre. The first two had several dead pixels and were super wobbley. The third was rock solid but had a small chip on the inside of the screen, which sucked because it was super solid. The fourth again was super loose with a giant gap on the volume rocker side. Finally, I spoke to the regional manager, who tried to strong arm me into keeping my fourth phone. After some back and forth he went back and had to search through 8 phones or so to find the one I ended up with. Super solid slider and a perfect screen. The nice ones do exist, you just have to be persistant.
    this is somewhat normal on a new phone. I went through three HTC touch and 4 touch pro when they came out. we are the guinea pigs the first time around. I have a 26000 altima and that had small issues. I am not saying its right because I am going to get my second pre but just saying this is normal. the next phone you get by another company will have issues too. this is why I am not irrate over the issues.
    O.K.
    Just got my 3rd pre... Absolutely great phone... Until I got home... Now I have a dead pixel smack in the middle of the screen...

1 - intermittent reboots
    2 - dead camera
    3 - dead pixel, possible return?
    4 - ???

This sucks...
    going for number 6 in the afternoon did the 1.1 update and the screen warped from the heat plus 5 dead pixels.
    I'm trading in my first Pre today. I have to admit I feel like a dirt bag when I have to return something, but I'm just a lowly consumer up against the evil mega corporations. I have a pretty twisty face on mine, other than that the phone is great. Now I'm worried that the replacement will have dead pixels and other issues. I'm going to have him take it out of the box when I get there, the I'm going to ##786# to see if it's a refurb or not. If there are any issues with the replacement then I will keep the one I have and just get use to the the screen twist. Any one else feel guilt for returning one of their Pre's?
    P.S. I'm a novice musician, please check out my work if you get a chance, thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2ndDayRiffs
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Day Riffs View Post
    I'm trading in my first Pre today. I have to admit I feel like a dirt bag when I have to return something, but I'm just a lowly consumer up against the evil mega corporations. I have a pretty twisty face on mine, other than that the phone is great. Now I'm worried that the replacement will have dead pixels and other issues. I'm going to have him take it out of the box when I get there, the I'm going to ##786# to see if it's a refurb or not. If there are any issues with the replacement then I will keep the one I have and just get use to the the screen twist. Any one else feel guilt for returning one of their Pre's?
    They tried making me feel guilty in the store, but really its ridiculous for me to feel bad that Palm's quality control is ridiculously horrible. I love the Pre, but I still feel like my Pre just isn't right since it still has a bit of twist to it. The other two Pre I had before this one had much more major problems so I'm happy to have a mostly good one, but I don't know why someone has to go buy such an advanced phone and cross their fingers and hope they get one without problems. That just doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully this Pre lasts a year until the next version comes out and I'm really hoping that version will be completely free of these annoying problems.

.... oh and most likely they'll just say the phone is supposed to have a little twist. They're bastards like that.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Bought mine on launch day. No issues requiring a replacement.
    I've had mine for 2 month's now and I honestly hate that I will need a replacement! The power button has stopped working and now needs to be replaced! I really wanted to keep my original phone because I felt like I had a small piece of history in a since.

God I hope I don't end up with a POS Pre, cause it's gonna end up being a referb I'm sure. Not to mention I'm gonna have to erase my entire Pre due to homebrew apps.... Crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    I've had mine for 2 month's now and I honestly hate that I will need a replacement! The power button has stopped working and now needs to be replaced! I really wanted to keep my original phone because I felt like I had a small piece of history in a since.

God I hope I don't end up with a POS Pre, cause it's gonna end up being a referb I'm sure. Not to mention I'm gonna have to erase my entire Pre due to homebrew apps.... Crap!
    a little off topic but can u PLEASE pm me the wallpaper from ur ikon...lol
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    1st on returned b/c of error code 25? i think thats what it was. couldn't get wi-fi to work at my house so they told me to go to sprint and i got a new one free of charge. turns out nothing was wrong. while waiting for palm level 3 tech support to call me back with a solution, i figured it out. turns out the first one probably wasn't even broken. the second one i just dropped. messed it up pretty good. took it to sprint and they replace it again, free of charge. can't really complain, just need to take it easy on these things. my treo 700p never broke when i dropped it and i dropped it more times than i care to count. oh well, still like phone.
    I had to exchange once.. Since then, it's been a godsend.
    This is my second one.. First one was perfect for the first 2 month. then the screen started to crack on the bottom.. So I went to sprint so they can change it. I got really lucky cause they did and for free..
    Technically, I am on my fourth but I never left the store with #2.

1) Dead pixel
    2) Screen defect
    3) Automatically shut off everytime I closed the keyboard
    4) Battery dies after half a day....oh wait, nm

I feel no guilt for returning a $200 phone that isn't spotless. Quality control was way too lax on this phone
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My one and only.
    I tried to take mine back to Best Buy last night and requested that I see the build date of the phone by doing the ##786# trick, but the wireless manager refused to. He said that once they power the phone on, there's no going back. They either have to sell it/trade it to someone, or they have to send the phone back to Palm. He said it had to do with the palm profile stuff. Does that sound right?

I wasn't going to trade mine until I ran into a guy in Chick-fil-a the other day who had a 2 week old Pre and had no twist whatsoever in his.
    That does sound right because you have to activate the phone to get access to the phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So I just returned my original Pre which started shutting down when I closed the slider. My new one (not a refurb) has a big discolored spot in the bottom left and also a slight oreo twist to the right but only when closed.

What is the consensus around here, should I march back in there and make them order yet another?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast