View Poll Results: How many times have you exhanged your Pre?

Voters
832. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is my 4th Time. Fifth Pre!! Really?!

31 3.73%
  • Third time's the charm. This is my fourth Pre.

29 3.49%
  • Twice. This is my third Pre.

100 12.02%
  • Once. This is my second Pre.

203 24.40%
  • None - First Pre and it's been perfect

469 56.37%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    5th pre =]
    same problem
    waitin on the 6th
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I think this poll is definitive. The Majority (almost 2/3 majority) of us are still on our one and only Pre. The ones that exchange are the most vocal. This probably puts to rest those silly rumors that the Pre's are 'riddled' with build problems. Sure, 25% have returned their device only once, but a whopping 60% never have.

Good poll, good thread.

Edit: After looking over the numbers again, 60% have never returned their device, but 40% have. I am going to retract my statement...if you have a 40% chance of having a defect, thats pretty bad. The crux of my argument was that that I thought I was one of a few lucky ones who have their original palm pre still based on the vocal minority of those who have had (insert defect) problems.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I am on Pre #4 now...so hopefully this is the last one considering now I am out of my 30 days and it would become an insurance claim...geeze.

I love the Pre, but I just want one that's fully functional!!!! :-P 2 days in on this one and I'm thinking this is "the one"...haha. No oreo slide and no dead pixels...AMEN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_em View Post
    I think this poll is definitive. The Majority (almost 2/3 majority) of us are still on our one and only Pre. The ones that exchange are the most vocal. This probably puts to rest those silly rumors that the Pre's are 'riddled' with build problems. Sure, 25% have returned their device only once, but a whopping 60% never have.

Good poll, good thread.

Edit: After looking over the numbers again, 60% have never returned their device, but 40% have. I am going to retract my statement...if you have a 40% chance of having a defect, thats pretty bad. The crux of my argument was that that I thought I was one of a few lucky ones who have their original palm pre still based on the vocal minority of those who have had (insert defect) problems.
    Also because the poll was created so long ago people who hadn't exchanged back when they voted may now be on their 2nd, 3rd or higher Pre. For example, when I voted I was on Pre #2 but now I am on Pre #7. But the poll still shows my vote as being on Pre #2. There is no way to correct the poll so by now the poll is underreporting exchanges for those people who have already voted.

On the other hand, some people claim that people who have exchanged their Pre are more likely to vote in the poll than those who haven't but I have seen zero evidence produced to back up that assertion and I really don't believe it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Also because the poll was created so long ago people who hadn't exchanged back when they voted may now be on their 2nd, 3rd or higher Pre. For example, when I voted I was on Pre #2 but now I am on Pre #7. But the poll still shows my vote as being on Pre #2. There is no way to correct the poll so by now the poll is underreporting exchanges for those people who have already voted.

On the other hand, some people claim that people who have exchanged their Pre are more likely to vote in the poll than those who haven't but I have seen zero evidence produced to back up that assertion and I really don't believe it's true.
    Of course you don't, Carl, because it doesn't help you in your quest to single-handedly bring down Palm does it?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_em View Post

Good poll, good thread.

1/3 of the people returning their Pre's for exchange is pretty dismal for the product's QA. So, I am not sure that being happy the glass is 2/3 full is really something to be impressed by.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    There are just a lot of posts where people say, "I'm going into my second, third, fourth phone" due to various issues like Blotches, pixels and such and would really like to get an idea from all the owner that...

Two weeks into the launch, how many people have exchanged their Pres and how many times?

It would be cool to get as many forum members to vote in next couple of days to get an idea at least from this group.

If it's your first Pre and it's perfect, then great and let yourself be counted. If you're on your second or third or, sorry, more, then let yourself be counted too.

First time making a poll so I hope it shows up... Someone created one for the first time earlier in week and I got to ask him, "Where's the poll *****?" Let's see if I did any better.

And hats off to those people that have gone more than 2... admire your determination to try and make it work for you.
    That quote pretty much sums up my experience. I've been reading about the Pre since CES this year, and was determined to get one. I read the problems that people were having but I thought, just like many others, there's no way the phone is that bad -- these people are just naysayers.

They are not! Coming from a very dedicated Pre proponent, one who has been dedicated enough to go through two exchanges in order to keep the Pre! My first Pre had six dead pixels! Six! And some were clumped next to each other so they were impossible to ignore. My second one had a significant oreo effect, which I'm guessing goes hand-in-hand with the very uneven gap on the seam, comparing the right and left sides. I tried to brush it off, but after a day's use and occasionally having to manually pop the larger gaped side down until there was a click, I had to take it back. I could see the metal components! I am now on my third, which is in much better shape, which I am keeping, even though I did find one dead pixel. I'm willing to let that go. I'm sure there are many phones out there that have that.

Long live the Pre and bring on the apps!
    4 times
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Hey, what did the poster who originally started this thread do to get himself banned? Did I miss something exciting?
    On my second Pre.

I had a dead pixel on my first Pre right out of the box. Nothing major so I held onto it for a few weeks. Then it started powering off event though I had enough battery power. Sometimes on its own and other times if I closed the slider too fast. I understand other people had the same problem. Some replaced the phone, some the battery, and some put a folded piece of paper in the battery compartment. I do love the phone though. I expected issues but I was hoping for none.
    My first pre was fine except that it had an exceptional amount of play when closed. It wasn't the reason why i returned it, but rather that i couldn't restore my palm's profile to my phone. The second pre had a cracked housing right by the usb drive right out of the box. My third pre has developed yellow blotches on the bottom right corner. I'm not sure I'm going to exchange it for a fourth one.
    Just picked up Pre #2 ... and IT'S AWESOME. No wobble (oreo), no creaking sound while typing, slider doesn't get stuck (hard to push up).

There are definitely crappy phones and well-built phones out there. If you're not satisfied with your Pre, exchange it until Sprint gets it right.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    2nd pre for me. 1st one had the random shutdowns.
    First : bad signal

Second : oreo twist

Third : PERFECT I LOVE THIS PHONE AND BIG THANKS TO RADIO SHACK IN ROCKY POINT NY FOR MAKING IT ALL SO EASY
    This is my second Pre...
    First one had the loose battery causing the phone to reset when you closed the slider...
    I guess 2 isn't too bad... I was on my 5th treo 700p before the first year was out and was on my 3rd 650 when I retired that...
    -doc
    mine cracked above the USB port almost to the screen 4 days after I got it. I handled it like it was a baby- never dropped, always in sleeve. I have never broken a phone before (Touch Pro, Mogel, Treo). Sprint refuses to replace under warranty or insurance. It is clear the case is defective. Sprint rep in Dallas store actually said they are getting too many Pre returns and trying to slow them down!!!! They told me to call Palm. What a mistake this phone was not to mention Sprint!
    on my second. Battery issues on the first. They would rather exchange than replace the battery.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Just returned my Pre for the first time. Updated it a couple weeks ago to the 1.1 WebOS and it bricked. I ran the WebOS doctor and then I couldn't log into my palm profile due to no internet connnection. Called sprint messed around with the different ## codes and eventually I was able to get an internet connection again. Now my sound was bad though and eventually it quit putting any sound out through the earpiece. I ran WebOS doctor again and the same problem ... No internet .. messed around with the ##EVDO# settings again and when I got up this morning I had internet, but my earpiece still did not work so I returned it. These phones seemed to be riddled with problems.

I love this phone. I don't want any other one now, but I'm not sure if I want to go down the road where I'm returning it once a week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the one I'll hopefully get tomorrow is keeper.
    Last edited by yurgon; 08/03/2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: correction
    Since day one, this Pre has been a solid little rock. Only issue is slight twisting, but it's not enough to hinder usage one bit.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    This is my third Pre.

The first was great, hardly any oreo effect, and it ran smoothly.

Then I wanted to install some homebrew apps, and I completely bricked the phone. My fault, indeed!

Went to Sprint and they switched it out. It was a refurb which I didn't realize. Two days go by and I make a phone call (yes, I know, I didn't use the phone part of the Pre for two days...crazy) and the mic doesn't work. Go back to Sprint, they look at it, and I get a brand new phone. And now I'm being more careful with installing apps, especially since the new installers make everything so easy.

I don't blame anything on the Pre/Sprint. But they sure have been pretty good.

I got the exchanges too all for free, and I had a launch day Pre, with no insurance!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast