Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Sorry this might be a newbie question, but only cuz i have never owned a phone w/ a keyboard before. I was wondering if anyone uses the nail of ur thumb to press the keys or do u use the pad of ur thumb? I have been typing w/ the nail of my thumb and i'm kind of getting used to it.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I've read several people on this board state that they use their nail tips. Personally, I can't do it that way. I use my thumb pads, but I also turn my thumbs in a bit so the flat of the pad is facing me and I type with the fleshy part that meets the nail.
    I use my nails. The keys are just too small for me to type on them using the pads of my thumbs. I can still type fairly fast this way though, and the rubbery feel of the keys are more conducive to this method.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    i use the tip of my finger, but occasionally my nail will press a key. I've found that even if you mash like 3 keys at once, the phone knows you are trying to hit the middle one, and it works correctly.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    when my nails are short i use my thumbs, when i have longer nails i use my nails
    I use thumb pads.
    I use my nails. That's what I used on the Treo, mostly, and that's what works for me on the Pre.
    I found that I type faster with the phone almost vertical, as opposed to horizontal, using the sides of my thumb. It makes the top row easier to access for my big hands. Try it...
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Nails. I kep them short though, gives me better accuracy.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I used to use my nails on my centro, but I am finding that I can use by thumb pads on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    For those of you which used your nails on your Centro, did you notice an uneven wear pattern on your keys after a while? If so, how long before you started noticing the "damage"?
    Thumb nails.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Nails. Typing with my thumbs just feels weird, and it's difficult to punch the keys on the top row with the pad of your thumbs.
    I usually use the sides of my thumbs, like when touch-typing on a regular keyboard, but also sometimes use my thumb pads and nails - it just depends on the position I'm in and the key that needs to be pressed and such. I can type fairly fast on Pre's keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    For those of you which used your nails on your Centro, did you notice an uneven wear pattern on your keys after a while? If so, how long before you started noticing the "damage"?
    The only key damage I had on my Centro (which I had to use my nails, or the flesh area just below them when my nails were just trimmed short) was that the middle part of my spacebar key got its lacquer chipped off, so there was a big matte spot (which you could also feel when typing) on the key. It bugged me a lot! The Pre keys are made differently, though, so that might not happen. I like the Pre keys and keyboard much better than the Centro's.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    thanks for the input guys. i am a little concerned pressing down too hard with my nail, but i'll try other methods as stated above.