Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I switched out my original pre that had a dead pixel and the new one, luckly, has a perfect screen. The downside to this though is the gap for the slider is now uneven with one side is about a penny's thick and the opposite side almost flush. Is there any way to fix this? Is it return worthy? Any forseeable problems caused by this? This gap does cause a little give when pressing on that side of the screen... almost springy

Thanks
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    is this what your phone looks like?

I think I am going to see if I can try and exchange it, but I am worried that I will get one that's worse.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I think I am going to see if I can try and exchange it, but I am worried that I will get one that's worse.
    I don't think you could get one any worse than that without it being in two pieces.
  4.    #4  
    is this what your phone looks like?

Well the bad side isn't quite that bad.. but the other side has almost no gap at all. The amount of wiggle is about the same as my old one, but then again I just got this phone 2 hours ago
    but I am worried that I will get one that's worse.
    That's basically what happened to me. I had a small gap on the left side, so I went and exchanged it for my 3rd pre. Now I have a pre that does the whole oreo twist thing. I would have rather had that little gap... I'm still trying to decide if I should go get a 4th one to finally get one with a tight slider..

To the OP, the rep at the sprint store said the gap on the left side of mine was "normal" (whatever that means). It wasn't hurting my phone, but I thought it could lead to instability in the future, which is why I exchanged it for the oreo twist phone. Now I'm in another dilemma.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The second pre I got yesterday is the same way. Over the course of 24 hrs whe I close the slider it is tilted to the right and there is a very large gap on the left. If I push on the left side it audibly clicks in to place. I am almost done with Sprint. When I took it to the corporate store I purchases it at the girl told me that was normal. I went to anothernone a put in for a replacement after they initially told me I couldn't. The people in the first store were very rude about it also. I can't figure
    out why they try to treat people like they are idiots. I told them this was my second pre and the slider on the first was not even close to being like this one. I absolutely love this phone but if it takes too long to receive my replacement I am leaving and waiting for a pre on another network. There is no way my slider should very noticeably tilt to the right and have a penny side gap on one side while being flush on the other.
    ent
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Kinda of getting tired of hearing about this. Either get over it, it's going to happen with use anyways, or go to the store and get it replaced. If they give you ****, just tell them the device is randomly turning off. Close thread please!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I don't think you could get one any worse than that without it being in two pieces.
    hah, yes as far as the gap is concerned. But I was thinking more along the lines of dead pixels or a loose battery.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Kinda of getting tired of hearing about this. Either get over it, it's going to happen with use anyways, or go to the store and get it replaced. If they give you ****, just tell them the device is randomly turning off. Close thread please!
    actually, no. the wobbly slider (i.e. rotation) will happen with use, perhaps. but the gap is different. I believe it is something that either does not fit properly, or something isn't tightened.

if everyone with a gap could try this, let me know your results:

take out the battery. when I removed my battery, the gap shrunk considerably. what's interesting, is that the slider mechanism is just behind the battery. I am thinking that the battery is pressing on something, which is creating the gap.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    So I switched out my original pre that had a dead pixel and the new one, luckly, has a perfect screen. The downside to this though is the gap for the slider is now uneven with one side is about a penny's thick and the opposite side almost flush. Is there any way to fix this? Is it return worthy? Any forseeable problems caused by this? This gap does cause a little give when pressing on that side of the screen... almost springy

Thanks
    Do the following and see if it helps your pre.

LOOKING AT THE BACK OF PHONE AFTER REMOVING THE BATTERY COVER.

LOOSEN:
    - BOTTOM RIGHT
    - BOTTOM LEFT
    - MIDDLE LEFT
    - TOP LEFT

-LEAVE TOP RIGHT ALONE AS IT HAS THE PALM STICKER
    - ONLY TIGHTEN THE MIDDLE RIGHT SOME MORE.

You should see that gap close some.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I agree. I understand there being some play with the slider but the gap and the fact mine sits cockeyed are my main concern. I will try the screw trick and see if that works. I was just extremely disappointed in the attitude of the sales reps today. There is no reason to treat some one like an *****.
  12.    #12  
    Alright I tried what you said Preman and there still is a gap only on one side... Might swing by the store next time I'm close and see what they think about it. I'd feel better if it had the same gap on both sides or (even better) no gap but I guess we'll see. I don't want to waste my last BSE skin if I end up returning it :-/
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgravo View Post
    I agree. I understand there being some play with the slider but the gap and the fact mine sits cockeyed are my main concern. I will try the screw trick and see if that works. I was just extremely disappointed in the attitude of the sales reps today. There is no reason to treat some one like an *****.
    Sometimes its good to print all the posts that have the issue you want them to know about. This way they cant say its "normal". Sad that we have to do such things but at the end we get what we want.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I hope so. I would love to keep this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangmelish View Post
    That's basically what happened to me. I had a small gap on the left side, so I went and exchanged it for my 3rd pre. Now I have a pre that does the whole oreo twist thing. I would have rather had that little gap... I'm still trying to decide if I should go get a 4th one to finally get one with a tight slider..

To the OP, the rep at the sprint store said the gap on the left side of mine was "normal" (whatever that means). It wasn't hurting my phone, but I thought it could lead to instability in the future, which is why I exchanged it for the oreo twist phone. Now I'm in another dilemma.

lol, oreotwist phone, that's funny. I'd exchange it if it were that bad for sure. Anyway I switched mine out today cause of the screen blotches. The new one I got back has a better screen, just one really minor spot on top left which is far less significant than with my previous device and the blotches on the bottom. But now the slider has a gap on top, bout half the gap that is shown in the video but a gap none the less, and my previous pre had a nice tight slider with no gap, I was in the store when he gave it to me, noticed it on the spot but he didn't want to give me another one. I called sprint and complained and they noted my account and said I should go back for another. Hopefully I wont get another bad screen Pre.
    I have made a great tutorial on how to fix the Pre's wobble. My Pre was a full pennie all the way around the phone (ya, worse). Now the screen is nice and snug up next to the back. However, it does still moves alittle bit but this is good for the phone (almost non existent though). The Screw tightening will lessen the twist and the leverage will get rid of the springy action like you spoke of. You should check out my tutorial in my thread. Link is in my Signature...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Well, I was thinking about changing my Pre with almost no problems but afraid to get a worse Pre, my only problems are: 2 dead pixels, not really noticeable, and a little gap on top left side.

Update: I tough it up and went to my Sprint store, they put me on the list, and the next day (6/27) around 7:50 pm I had my new Pre on my hands, this one is better all around and feels sturdier, I'm happy so far.
    Last edited by STARGATE; 06/29/2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: update
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I have made a great tutorial on how to fix the Pre's wobble. My Pre was a full pennie all the way around the phone (ya, worse). Now the screen is nice and snug up next to the back. However, it does still moves alittle bit but this is good for the phone (almost non existent though). The Screw tightening will lessen the twist and the leverage will get rid of the springy action like you spoke of. You should check out my tutorial in my thread. Link is in my Signature...
    I have the exact same problem. Got my Pre yesterday, noticed it this morning. Been bugging me all day, especially now that I'm reading this thread.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    >.< don't have enough posts to see it
    More of these posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast