Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Sprint charges $7 a month for insurance on your phone. If you didn't ask for it, double check to see if it was added anyway (as it was on mine).

Thing is, I have renter's insurance that covers everything I own for 8 or 9 bucks a month. In addition, I have a special "electronic devices) addition to my policy that covers all my electronics, computers, etc. up to $5000 with zero deductible. They will cover it if I drop it, shoot a gun at it, set it on fire, etc. They even told me if I got a virus, they would pay someone to remove it.

All in all, I'm paying $12 a month, but I'm covering everything I own, and I don't have to pay Sprint's $100 deductible if my phone every breaks.

I would call your bank/insurance provider to see if they have a better deal then sprint. I got mine through USAA.
    Last edited by palandri; 06/21/2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Changed Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Sprint charges $7 a month for insurance on your phone. If you didn't ask for it, double check to see if it was added anyway (as it was on mine).

Thing is, I have renter's insurance that covers everything I own for 8 or 9 bucks a month. In addition, I have a special "electronic devices) addition to my policy that covers all my electronics, computers, etc. up to $5000 with zero deductible. They will cover it if I drop it, shoot a gun at it, set it on fire, etc. They even told me if I got a virus, they would pay someone to remove it.

All in all, I'm paying $12 a month, but I'm covering everything I own, and I don't have to pay Sprint's $100 deductible if my phone every breaks.

I would call your bank/insurance provider to see if they have a better deal then sprint. I got mine through USAA.
    I'm guessing the process for claiming the phone would be different. (longer)
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post

That is very nice coverage. Is it part of a home owner's policy or just a separate insurance policy for "stuff?"

The one thing Sprint insurance has over any other that I've heard about so far... you don't have to have the phone to get the replacement. How about yours? Does it cover a lost item?
    See what happens to your insurance rates after you file a claim and then tell us whether it's such a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwm3 View Post
    This....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    See what happens to your insurance rates after you file a claim and then tell us whether it's such a great deal.
    ...and this are why I will be keeping TEP.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Excellent point! I'm sure my insurance would cover it too but I never thought of it. Are you sure about the accidental damage part? I know that my insurance would cover loss or theft but I'm not sure about that.

I'm sure it would take a few weeks to get a check from your insurance company. But it would take a few weeks to get a new phone from Sprint too.

Going the insurance company route is better because you can just go out and buy a new phone immediately without having to wait. The insurance company will just pay you back later. Also, you get to buy a brand new phone!

But with Sprint you have to wait weeks to get a new phone (despite what they may tell you when trying to get you to sign up). So you stuck with no phone for a while or a crappy cheap loaner. And when you get your "new" phone it's actually a refurb with who knows what problems.

This is a very useful post that saves money. Give sam1am your thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    We're only talking $550 for the phone. I doubt one claim for such a small amount of money is going to change your insurance much (or even at all) if you have a good insurance record. If you have doubts, check with your insurance agent.
  8. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    while that sounds nice something tells me they wont repair your phone same day or replace it next day hassle free
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Don't mislead people like this. I had renters insurance for years and there is always a deductible. Plus your rates will go up. Also you don't always have to pay the deductible as you can see below. You were lied to.

There are two different services that come with the $7 a month. One is ESRP which is in-store repair, which covers cracked screens, loss of service, manufacture defects, etc...the other is TEP which covers everything from water damage to physical damage(ex if you run over your phone in a puddle it is COVERED), lost or stolen. So YES, water damage is covered with the $100 deductible. In store service has no fee with the plan, without the plan it is $35 - $55 depending on the repair.

I have run into an issue where customer would lie and say their phone had no contact with water when it obviously did and they would call the insurance and say "well the repair place said it was water damage", the insurance rejected it. Had the customer call right back in and say they dropped it in the tolet and they replaced it with no problem. So it all depends how you word everything when talking to the insurace guys. But either way it is covered.

Signed, the wife of Alvin319(Sprint Service and Repair Manager for 2 years)
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Excellent point! I'm sure my insurance would cover it too but I never thought of it. Are you sure about the accidental damage part? I know that my insurance would cover loss or theft but I'm not sure about that.

I'm sure it would take a few weeks to get a check from your insurance company. But it would take a few weeks to get a new phone from Sprint too.

Going the insurance company route is better because you can just go out and buy a new phone immediately without having to wait. The insurance company will just pay you back later. Also, you get to buy a brand new phone!

But with Sprint you have to wait weeks to get a new phone (despite what they may tell you when trying to get you to sign up). So you stuck with no phone for a while or a crappy cheap loaner. And when you get your "new" phone it's actually a refurb with who knows what problems.

This is a very useful post that saves money. Give sam1am your thanks!
    You make some good points, but you may want to check your policy to see what your insurance company will actually pay you for the phone. I perused my own just now to see whether my USAA renter's insurance would work the same as the OP's and the information I see here is a little different from his policy. First, it doesn't cover damage caused by myself, whether accidental or caused on purpose. Second, they will compensate me for the depreciated value of the item that is lost/stolen. Third, I have a $100 deductible for my renter's policy (which brings my monthly premium to $8/month).

On the other hand, as others here have said, the TEP may only award you with a refurbished (but not necessarily recertified) device from who knows where.
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    while that sounds nice something tells me they wont repair your phone same day or replace it next day hassle free
    Sprint won't replace a phone next day hassle free. I had insurance on a previous phone with Sprint and need it replaced and it took weeks.
    And with regular insurance you can buy a brand new phone immediately and get paid back later. Sprint will give you a refurb after you wait for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Don't mislead people like this. I had renters insurance for years and there is always a deductible. Plus your rates will go up.
    Actually, it seems you are the one misleading people. There is not always a deductible and your rates don't always go up with small claims.

As the wife of a Sprint service and repair manager you may not be the most objective person. $7 a month is an awful lot of money just to insure a single phone (you can get renters insurance that covers everything you own for just a few dollars more). Plus Sprint makes you wait weeks for your new phone (I know this from experience) and the new phone they give you is not actually new. It's a refurb. So the Sprint insurance really isn't a good deal at and the only reason I had it is because I didn't realize I didn't have any other option (besides self-insuring).
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    You make some good points, but you may want to check your policy to see what your insurance company will actually pay you for the phone. I perused my own just now to see whether my USAA renter's insurance would work the same as the OP's and the information I see here is a little different from his policy. First, it doesn't cover damage caused by myself, whether accidental or caused on purpose. Second, they will compensate me for the depreciated value of the item that is lost/stolen. Third, I have a $100 deductible for my renter's policy (which brings my monthly premium to $8/month).

On the other hand, as others here have said, the TEP may only award you with a refurbished (but not necessarily recertified) device from who knows where.
    Yeah, definitely you're right that people should certainly check to make sure they have an appropriate insurance policy first. Are you sure your insurance only gives you the depreciated cost? Every insurance policy I have ever heard of covers the replacement cost which is not always the same. Right now the replacement cost is $550, but it's true that for an older phone the insurance company may decide you could buy a used one for less. In that case, you still have the option to buy a brand new phone and pay the difference yourself or you can go out and buy a used one with the money the insurance company gives you. I like having that option; with Sprint you're only getting a used phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwm3 View Post
    I have USAA renter's insurance as well. Did you have to add a separate elctronic option to your policy for this coverage?
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Sprint won't replace a phone next day hassle free. I had insurance on a previous phone with Sprint and need it replaced and it took weeks.
    And with regular insurance you can buy a brand new phone immediately and get paid back later. Sprint will give you a refurb after you wait for it.
    This must have been an isolated insident because I have had two phones replaced and they were both at my address the next day and by the way they were both brand new in factory sealed box. One was a Samsung M500 and the other was an Instinct.
    Last edited by alvin319; 06/21/2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Yeah, definitely you're right that people should certainly check to make sure they have an appropriate insurance policy first. Are you sure your insurance only gives you the depreciated cost? Every insurance policy I have ever heard of covers the replacement cost which is not always the same. Right now the replacement cost is $550, but it's true that for an older phone the insurance company may decide you could buy a used one for less. In that case, you still have the option to buy a brand new phone and pay the difference yourself or you can go out and buy a used one with the money the insurance company gives you. I like having that option; with Sprint you're only getting a used phone.
    My policy states I'll get the actual cash value of the object and verbatim from the policy we read: "1. "Actual cash value" means the replacement cost of the property at the time of loss less a deduction for depreciation based on its age and usage."

However, I have to say I prefer USAA's practice of giving you the cash and letting you do what you want with it and this chimes well with your point that you could take the money for the depreciated value and use it toward a brand new device instead of a refurbished one. It's something to think about anyway.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I'm a little skeptical that renters insurance would pay for a broken cell phone. Read the small print before betting your Pre on that.

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"
  18. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    depends on if you go to a corp store or an indirect dealer.
    i happen to run a service center at an indirect dealer. while i will certainly say corp stores are nothing short of a pain in the ***, i deal with customers the way i like to be treated and all our replacement devices ship same day and are overnighted. dunno why it'd take any longer unless its on backorder
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    This must have been an isolated insident because I have had two phones replaced and they were both at my address the next day and by the way they were both brand new in factory sealed box. One was a Samsung M500 and the other was an Instinct.
    Factory sealed box? Were they Samsung boxes or Sprint boxes? My Wife's BB curve was stolen less than a month after she got it. Replacement phone was here next day and it was in a Sprint sealed box, not a box from RIM. Everything about the phone seemed flawless until I noticed that it had a 2gb SDHC micro card instead of the 1GB micro card that came with her new BB. I am sure there are already refurbished Pre phones in peoples hands as we speak, and those persons feel they have a new Pre.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltaco View Post
    Factory sealed box? Were they Samsung boxes or Sprint boxes? My Wife's BB curve was stolen less than a month after she got it. Replacement phone was here next day and it was in a Sprint sealed box, not a box from RIM. Everything about the phone seemed flawless until I noticed that it had a 2gb SDHC micro card instead of the 1GB micro card that came with her new BB. I am sure there are already refurbished Pre phones in peoples hands as we speak, and those persons feel they have a new Pre.
    They both packaged as if they came straight from the sprint warehouse to the store with all accesories.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast