Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    what's your insurance deductible. They won't replace it for free. My guess is you have a 500 or 750 dollar deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    We're only talking $550 for the phone. I doubt one claim for such a small amount of money is going to change your insurance much (or even at all) if you have a good insurance record. If you have doubts, check with your insurance agent.
    That was true in most states up until about 3-10 years ago. Now claims rates are typically based more on frequency than severity.

Type of claim is also important. A theft or mysterious disappearance claim may have more impact on your rates and insurability than a wind/hail claim.

You may feel that they have a good record, believing that they never really had a "claim" because they have all been so small. This claim may be the straw that breaks the camel's back triggering a nonrenewal. And then see who you can get insurance with.

If you have a good relationship with your agent, ask if you should turn in a $550 claim. Ask how long the claim wil be in your Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (CLUE) report. Ask to see your CLUE. In most states the insurance claim might be tracked in your CLUE for up to 15 years.

The replacement through Sprint is deemed warranty and is not an entry in your CLUE.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 06/23/2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    State Farm's Personal Articles Rider no longer covers cell phones including the Pre. The rider USED to cover cell phones and it is possible that if you signed up for it before the change you are grandfathered in and still have coverage.

This confirmed today from two different State Farm offices. The pre is even in their system listed as a cell phone NOT covered by the personal articles rider.
    Hmm... I spoke to my local office personally and they told me that the Personal Articles Policy does cover my cell phone and they were ready to sell me the policy right there (but I'm going to wait until I get a Pre that doesn't have defects first).

Perhaps we are talking about two different things? The Personal Articles Policy I'm talking about is not a rider as you describe but a completely separate policy itself. The policy covers a specific item or items (Palm Pre is specifically written into the policy). What you are describing sounds more like the computer / electronics rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    what's your insurance deductible. They won't replace it for free. My guess is you have a 500 or 750 dollar deductible.
    For the Personal Articles Policy I am talking about ($30 / year from State Farm) there is no deductible. The entire replacement cost is covered.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234