Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41  
    TEP costs $7 a month... that's $84.00/yr if u LOSE your phone or get some unforseable uncovered damages you're dishing out $100 for the deductible. hypothetically speaking..come May 2010, if u accidentally flush your Pre down the toilet..u could surely be flushing ur $199 u paid for the phone... plus a combined sum of around $184.00 to get a new one, hahaha. gotta love that TEP!

    how's that saying go?
    Better to have and not need, than to need & not have. *sigh*
    "I have to return some videotapes."
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Sprint charges $7 a month for insurance on your phone. If you didn't ask for it, double check to see if it was added anyway (as it was on mine).

    Thing is, I have renter's insurance that covers everything I own for 8 or 9 bucks a month. In addition, I have a special "electronic devices) addition to my policy that covers all my electronics, computers, etc. up to $5000 with zero deductible. They will cover it if I drop it, shoot a gun at it, set it on fire, etc. They even told me if I got a virus, they would pay someone to remove it.

    All in all, I'm paying $12 a month, but I'm covering everything I own, and I don't have to pay Sprint's $100 deductible if my phone every breaks.

    I would call your bank/insurance provider to see if they have a better deal then sprint. I got mine through USAA.
    Nice I have USAA, I'll check on this.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    ...Either I need to find a new home insurance company that does, or use TEP.

    Sounds like State Farm has the additional computer rider policy, which is nice.
    My State Farm agent can't find an additional policy for cell phones. He even called his corporate office. Others here have said they have gotten the policy through State Farm. Maybe my agent doesn't know how to ask for it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I bought my unlocked GSM Treo Pro's from NewEgg and bought their Service Net Insurance 1 year: $45.99 2 year: $125.99

    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

    I am glad you brought this State Farm issue up again. My home owners policy won't really cover my phone, since it's a $1000 deductible. I called my State Farm Agent and asked about adding insurance for lost/stolen on our cell phones. He checked and found nothing for insuring cell phones. He then called his corporate office and called me back, and told me there was no separate policy for covering cell phones.

    You are the second person to mention this separate insurance through State Farm. I thought for $30 it would be worth it, but my agent can't find this separate policy.
    I have attached the information my State Farm agent sent me. Sorry about the low quality; this is what I was sent. It's actually called a "Personal Articles Policy." State Farm has this link but it doesn't say much. You will have to talk to your agent again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    ...
    Sounds like State Farm has the additional computer rider policy, which is nice.
    State Farm does have a computer rider (I have it because I have a lot of computers and electronics) but according to my agent the computer rider does not cover my phone when it's not at home. Apparently different insurance companies handle this differently.

    State Farm has a "Personal Articles" policy which will cover your phone for 0 deductible for just $30 per year. This is a completely separate policy from your homeowner's insurance and your computer rider so it doesn't matter what kind of insurance you already have or what its deductible is. I just want to make sure that's clear.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yeah, definitely you're right that people should certainly check to make sure they have an appropriate insurance policy first. Are you sure your insurance only gives you the depreciated cost? Every insurance policy I have ever heard of covers the replacement cost which is not always the same. Right now the replacement cost is $550, but it's true that for an older phone the insurance company may decide you could buy a used one for less. In that case, you still have the option to buy a brand new phone and pay the difference yourself or you can go out and buy a used one with the money the insurance company gives you. I like having that option; with Sprint you're only getting a used phone.
    ClipCarl,

    I'm curious why you regularly "expand" on reality when you post slams against Sprint. It would appear you have an issue with them. That's fine, but it's no excuse for hyperbole.

    A refurb unit is different from "used". And, while I have no reason to doubt your experience with Sprint taking "weeks" to get you a phone, that does not make it the standard. My experience doesn't either, but my experience is vastly different from yours.

    I've always had TEP on my Treos with Sprint, and each time I took the phone to the store with problems that required a replacment, they gave me one on the spot. No waiting. I only once had to have one replaced because of water damage, and they upgraded my device (from a 600 to 700) because they didn't have one in stock, and said the chances of finding one were slim.

    My wife recently had her Centro lost/stolen (she dropped it in our front yard, was gone the next day). Assurion had to replace that one (obviously). She had it two days after reporting it.

    Relating your experiences is one thing, pretending that they are standard treatment is another entirely.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    When I had my claim it was at least 5 years ago. Perhaps Sprint has changed this since then?

    And to those that use the argument that your insurance rates might go up or your company might drop you if you have multiple claims in a short period of time. I would guess that Sprint is exactly the same. If you had multiple claims in a short time I strongly suspect they'd raise your rate or drop you.
    Your guess is wrong. I once returned 3 Sprint phones in a 6 week period. When I brought back the third one, the CSR remembered me and actually laughed as she unboxed the phone for me.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by cookedart View Post
    The cost of Sprint's Insurance for 24 months is $168, + a $100 deductible. This means you will have to pay up to $268 to get a new phone.

    Versus if you drop your phone into water the very first day you have it, you can pay the ETF Fee and enter a new contract, for $200 + cost of phone ($199 for a new pre with new contract) = $400. This is the highest cost possible, because your ETF fee goes down every month you own it.

    It starts at $200 for the first 4 months, then goes down $10 every month until it hits $50 by month 19 of your contract.

    So yes, the sprint insurance is cheaper, but keep in mind you ONLY have to pay the ETF fee and a new phone if your phone breaks. If your phone does not break within the two years you own it, then the $168 is thrown down the toilet.
    I don't think Sprint allows you to pay the ETF, break your contract, then immediately sign a new one. I'm almost positive I've heard there's a waiting period.
  9. #49  
    There is one major issue involved with TEP that is being overlooked in the examples here. If you take your TEP covered phone to Sprint, and they handle within the Sprint store - there is no deductable. Even if they replace the phone (they've done this for me). It's only when they have to involed Ashurion that they charge the $100 deductible.
  10. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #50  
    Let me go on record saying that I loathe dealing with Asurion.
  11. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There is one major issue involved with TEP that is being overlooked in the examples here. If you take your TEP covered phone to Sprint, and they handle within the Sprint store - there is no deductable. Even if they replace the phone (they've done this for me). It's only when they have to involed Ashurion that they charge the $100 deductible.
    This has been my experience the 3 times I've had to replace a phone. I think as long as they can refurb the unit, you won't pay a deductible. Also I have yet to be charged for "minor" repairs, like having a 2 year old battery replaced. I'm not the happiest about receiving a refurb either, but they stand behind it like any other phone. I will also attest to getting all my replacement phones the same or next day. Besides most of us have a service credit(s) or discount(s) that make the $7 negligible anyhow.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Your guess is wrong. I once returned 3 Sprint phones in a 6 week period. When I brought back the third one, the CSR remembered me and actually laughed as she unboxed the phone for me.
    So let me get this straight: You are saying with absolute certainty that Sprint will allow you to return as many phones as you like as often as you like and will never discontinue your insurance or raise your rates?

    And if I should happen to stumble across information that shows that that is in fact not at all true you will gladly apologize for being a troll and jumping into a discussion with your opinion disguised as fact without actually doing any research to back it up, correct?
  13. mcnutty's Avatar
    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #53  
    Sprint will do as much work on your phone as required in a repair center. Asurion will replace 2 phones in a calendar year due to physical damage, water damage, loss or stolen phone.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    So let me get this straight: You are saying with absolute certainty that Sprint will allow you to return as many phones as you like as often as you like and will never discontinue your insurance or raise your rates?

    And if I should happen to stumble across information that shows that that is in fact not at all true you will gladly apologize for being a troll and jumping into a discussion with your opinion disguised as fact without actually doing any research to back it up, correct?
    Absolutely not.
    I'm doing exactly what you had hoped to do with my post.

    I cannot say for sure what results others will have. I will say though, that your "suspicion" (see below) is wrong:

    And to those that use the argument that your insurance rates might go up or your company might drop you if you have multiple claims in a short period of time. I would guess that Sprint is exactly the same. If you had multiple claims in a short time I strongly suspect they'd raise your rate or drop you.
    I make no claims about being "certain" that one can return "as many phones as I like". However, you "suspected" that Sprint would raise rates or drop a user if they had "multiple claims in a short time". I offered anectdotal evidence contrary to your suspicions.

    Sorry it doesn't fit with your pre-conceived ideas, but it's what happened.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Sprint will do as much work on your phone as required in a repair center. Asurion will replace 2 phones in a calendar year due to physical damage, water damage, loss or stolen phone.
    Actually, Sprint's plan is 3 phones within a 12 month consecutive period.

    • You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.
  16. #56  
    I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    I would guess that Sprint is exactly the same. If you had multiple claims in a short time I strongly suspect they'd raise your rate or drop you.
    And you said in response:
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Your guess is wrong.
    And now you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, Sprint's plan is 3 phones within a 12 month consecutive period.

    • You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.

    Clearly I was right and you are a liar.
  17. philb's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    #57  
    I've only dealt once with Sprint insurance, filled out form online, agreed to pay $50 and they sent new phone with prepaid package to send old phone back. I'm sticking with that, it worked!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I have attached the information my State Farm agent sent me. Sorry about the low quality; this is what I was sent. It's actually called a "Personal Articles Policy." State Farm has this link but it doesn't say much. You will have to talk to your agent again.
    State Farm's Personal Articles Rider no longer covers cell phones including the Pre. The rider USED to cover cell phones and it is possible that if you signed up for it before the change you are grandfathered in and still have coverage.

    This confirmed today from two different State Farm offices. The pre is even in their system listed as a cell phone NOT covered by the personal articles rider.
  19. #59  
    In the FWIW department, I have used the Sprint insurance on several occasions and have had pretty good luck with it. With the new deductable and the increased price of late, it does not seem to be worthwile in the long run especially IF you have to pay the deductable. I have confirmed with a recent claim on another phone, however, that if the replacement is made at a Sprint store you do not have to pay the deductable so that helps the equation quite a bit.

    In any case, I have decided to take the Sprint insurance for now while it was easy to sign up (first 30 days). I am hoping to find a beter insurance option and will likely drop the Sprint insurance at some point but while the thing is brand new, while I am playing with it a lot while still not familier with it like I was with my old treos and while everyone is still finding out of tough/fragile it is, I figure its worth the $7 for a few months anyway.

    Looking to change homeowners insurance soon anyway so maybe the new company I pick up will have a rider that will work since State Farm no longer covers cell phones in their personal articles coverage.
    Last edited by midmofan; 06/23/2009 at 11:41 AM.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I said:
    ...

    Clearly I was right and you are a liar.
    Actually, you need to go back and read what you wrote, and what I wrote.

    Sprint deals with in store issues. I've never had to use one of the three instances I spoke of. Sprint has always handled my issues in-store without the need of Asurion.

    When you exceed your three phones with Asurion - Sprint does not raise your rates, nor do you get dropped.

    You are simply limited to those three phones during that 12 months period. As soon as the 12 month drops off the first phone, you're eligible for a replacement again.

    But again, that's when you have to go through Asurion. I've never had to.

    As far as the "liar" comment, everything is exactly as I described it. There have even been other posts that describe similar situations. You don't know me, and you're obviously wrong. I suspect though, that you'll have a hard time admitting it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions