Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64
  1. #21  
    sam1am has an interesting approach to replacing your pre. But i still think that trusting an outside company for insuarance claims on your pre will still be trouble. Lets say you do loose/break your phone and go with your insurance company. They cut you a check but you want another pre, more than likely your going to have to pay full price which could be a problem.

    The whole refurb issue depends on the person, yeah having a new phone is ideal but it would be more expensive for sprint to do so. Refurbs most of the time are as good as new because the company taking care of the repairs will break down the phone and repair it so that it works as good as new.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    This must have been an isolated insident because I have had two phones replaced and they were both at my address the next day and by the way they were both brand new in factory sealed box. One was a Samsung M500 and the other was an Instinct.
    My situation is exactly like yours. Got my phone the very next day after talking to them. If it took weeks, something might have gone wrong there.
  3. DWEIL's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #23  
    My Pre is covered through my ownership position in AIG...
  4. #24  
    I have a computer rider on my renters insurance policy that cost $19 a year. It covers computers and smartphones at replacement cost. The deductible is $50. It covers theft, breakage and spillage.
  5. #25  
    My insurance agent told me that if I make a claim to replace my phone with my homeowners insurance, and then later make a major claim (like my basement flooding), I will then have two claims and my rates will rise. It's not worth the risk to use homeowners insurance to cover a phone.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    I have run into an issue where customer would lie and say their phone had no contact with water when it obviously did...
    This isn't really on-point with the topic, but from my understanding the indicators for water damage is simply some light corrosion and perhaps the absence of a particular sticker embedded inside the phone.

    For extremely humid places, I've always thought these indicators were crap. I live in Puerto Rico, where the humidity is off the charts. I have a friend whose phone simply stopped working one time due to the "water damage" caused by having it lying around his house.

    Maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea for that friend of mine to get that all-inclusive insurance, wait or no. Maybe I should get it for my Pre, as well, hehe.
  7. #27  
    i have USAA as well, whats that added ins called again? i cant find it. i also have renters ins and everything with usaa. i love them. deposit from home is amazing. are you in san antonio, tx as well?
  8. #28  
    I would never file a claim with my HO policy for a cell phone. If you file one claim you might not have a increase in premium, but if you have another claim that happens near that time, they might drop you all together. Then try to find insurance once you have been dropped by a insurance company. Your premium will be a lot higher than the $100 deductible Sprint charges.
  9. mcnutty's Avatar
    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #29  
    Asurion sends replacement devices next day. If that wasn't the case for you, it was not the norm.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I'm a little skeptical that renters insurance would pay for a broken cell phone. Read the small print before betting your Pre on that.

    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"
    It makes sense when you consider renters insurance covers lost or stolen property. If the insurance company didn't give you accidental damage as well, unscrupulous people would just claim that the item was lost or stolen. That's why they include it.
    Last edited by clipcarl; 06/21/2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Edited
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    My insurance agent told me that if I make a claim to replace my phone with my homeowners insurance, and then later make a major claim (like my basement flooding), I will then have two claims and my rates will rise. It's not worth the risk to use homeowners insurance to cover a phone.
    Yes, of course if you have multiple claims in a short amount of time your insurance might go up. That happens for any type of claims not just phone claims. You have insurance so don't be afraid to use it. That's why you pay for it. If paying Sprint an extra $84 per year per phone is worth it to you even though you already pay your insurance company to cover it that's fine. I personally think that is a rip-off to pay that much for insurance for such a low value item. It's simply not a good price for that amount of insurance.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by speakeazy86 View Post
    sam1am has an interesting approach to replacing your pre. But i still think that trusting an outside company for insuarance claims on your pre will still be trouble.
    ...
    I'm not sure that I'd agree that your insurance company is any more of an "outside company" than Sprint. After all Palm makes the phone not Sprint. Both are companies that you have a prior business relationship with.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Asurion sends replacement devices next day. If that wasn't the case for you, it was not the norm.
    When I had my claim it was at least 5 years ago. Perhaps Sprint has changed this since then?

    And to those that use the argument that your insurance rates might go up or your company might drop you if you have multiple claims in a short period of time. I would guess that Sprint is exactly the same. If you had multiple claims in a short time I strongly suspect they'd raise your rate or drop you.
  14. Cookedart's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #34  
    The cost of Sprint's Insurance for 24 months is $168, + a $100 deductible. This means you will have to pay up to $268 to get a new phone.

    Versus if you drop your phone into water the very first day you have it, you can pay the ETF Fee and enter a new contract, for $200 + cost of phone ($199 for a new pre with new contract) = $400. This is the highest cost possible, because your ETF fee goes down every month you own it.

    It starts at $200 for the first 4 months, then goes down $10 every month until it hits $50 by month 19 of your contract.

    So yes, the sprint insurance is cheaper, but keep in mind you ONLY have to pay the ETF fee and a new phone if your phone breaks. If your phone does not break within the two years you own it, then the $168 is thrown down the toilet.
  15. enjoyingsilence
    enjoyingsilence's Avatar
    #35  
    Our Homeowners Insurance covers our phones and electronics. However, we have a 1000 dollar deductible, lol. It's cheaper to buy the phone @ retail. :P

    Also: MicahDG: this quote:

    My policy states I'll get the actual cash value of the object and verbatim from the policy we read: "1. "Actual cash value" means the replacement cost of the property at the time of loss less a deduction for depreciation based on its age and usage."

    However, I have to say I prefer USAA's practice of giving you the cash and letting you do what you want with it and this chimes well with your point that you could take the money for the depreciated value and use it toward a brand new device instead of a refurbished one. It's something to think about anyway.
    ---

    means your insurance company can say your 300.00 + tax phone, is worth (after depreciation) 100 bucks. And that's what they'll give you. Good luck contesting that with an insurance company. FEW people win against an insurance company. Even 100 bucks is still pennies compared to the full retail cost of a Pre.
  16. #36  
    I actually called my insurance company (State Farm) about this. While my policy does cover loss, theft and accidental damage to my computers and electronics, it does not cover personal items that I carry around with me such as my cell phone. People will definitely want to check with their insurance company to be sure because some do cover phones as part of the normal policy.

    The good news is that my insurance company offers a Personal Item insurance policy for only $30 per year. This policy covers the replacement cost of the phone with 0 deductible (sorry, Alvin319, you're wrong). And of course I'd get cash from the insurance company so I could decide myself whether to buy a used phone or a new phone. If it's true that Sprint now gives you a new phone immediately (is it?) then that's an advantage for Sprint. In my case I would just buy a new phone immediately anyway and wait for insurance to repay me.

    So my choices are:

    Sprint's Insurance - Pay $84 a year with a $100 deductible to get a used phone
    State Farm - Pay $30 a year with 0 deductible to get my choice of a used phone or a new phone (I'd pay the difference in value for a new phone)

    For me the choice is clear. I don't like to spend more money for less value. I suspect the reason Sprint tries so hard to sell you their insurance is because it's a high profit great deal for Sprint (but a lousy deal for you). I wonder if they make commissions or bonuses for insurance sales?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I actually called my insurance company (State Farm) about this. While my policy does cover loss, theft and accidental damage to my computers and electronics, it does not cover personal items that I carry around with me such as my cell phone. People will definitely want to check with their insurance company to be sure because some do cover phones as part of the normal policy.

    The good news is that my insurance company offers a Personal Item insurance policy for only $30 per year. This policy covers the replacement cost of the phone with 0 deductible (sorry, Alvin319, you're wrong). And of course I'd get cash from the insurance company so I could decide myself whether to buy a used phone or a new phone. If it's true that Sprint now gives you a new phone immediately (is it?) then that's an advantage for Sprint. In my case I would just buy a new phone immediately anyway and wait for insurance to repay me.

    So my choices are:

    Sprint's Insurance - Pay $84 a year with a $100 deductible to get a used phone
    State Farm - Pay $30 a year with 0 deductible to get my choice of a used phone or a new phone (I'd pay the difference in value for a new phone)

    For me the choice is clear. I don't like to spend more money for less value. I suspect the reason Sprint tries so hard to sell you their insurance is because it's a high profit great deal for Sprint (but a lousy deal for you). I wonder if they make commissions or bonuses for insurance sales?
    I bought my unlocked GSM Treo Pro's from NewEgg and bought their Service Net Insurance 1 year: $45.99 2 year: $125.99

    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

    I am glad you brought this State Farm issue up again. My home owners policy won't really cover my phone, since it's a $1000 deductible. I called my State Farm Agent and asked about adding insurance for lost/stolen on our cell phones. He checked and found nothing for insuring cell phones. He then called his corporate office and called me back, and told me there was no separate policy for covering cell phones.

    You are the second person to mention this separate insurance through State Farm. I thought for $30 it would be worth it, but my agent can't find this separate policy.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  18. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #38  
    What I'm trying to figure out is this. If you are planning on upgrading your phone to the inevitable Pre Hardware update next year then what is the best 12month plan?

    My thinking is this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

    Without Sprint Insurance:
    - Premiere customers (anyone w/everything plan) get full upgrade discount after 12mo
    - Manufacturers 1yr warranty
    - If paid by credit card, 1yr addition to manufacturers warranty
    - June2010 the updated Pre will have better specs but cost $199 or less
    - If your Pre still works fine then you can sell it for at least $100

    With Sprint Insurance:
    - $184 if you claim in 12mo ($7x12mo + $100 deductible)
    - ??? Replacement phone is refurb? Or is it whatever current model is.
    - ??? Is there a requirement for replacement? (I don't want to rip them off)


    I love the current Pre but there are enough missing hardware features and durability questions with it that I will probably upgrade and renew my contract if an updated Pre comes out.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/23/2009 at 11:20 AM.
  19. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #39  
    I'll probably wait a few months after the phone has more dings, already has a small crack in the case from a drop onto tile. Hopefully a hardware revision will be out and I will use my Sprint TEP for that.
  20. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #40  
    Great thread..

    I have TEP and Home owners insurance.

    I just called Homesite through Progressive and they assured me they do not have any additional riders for computer equipment or smart phones. I'd have to put this towards my $500 deductible and it would count against me as a claim.

    Either I need to find a new home insurance company that does, or use TEP.

    Sounds like State Farm has the additional computer rider policy, which is nice.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions