Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    accuweather[/url] dot com/enhanced-radar.asp?partner=vista1&traveler=0

there is a drop down window up top to the left, here you can choose high-res image, a little better, but im sure it takes longer to load.
    myfox chicago has nice looking doppler radars, which animation also works on our phones. The down side, takes forever to load, highly recommened at home use using wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomyah View Post
    It is not an app, go on your computer pull up your local radar, look for the enhanced version, then send yourself the link in an email, its easier that way.
    Thanks Jomyah! That is exactly what I have been looking for. I can finally zoom in and out of an animated weather map.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The Weather Channel works, but doesn't let me change cities. When I try it kills my browser.

Anyone get this to work?
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    The Weather Channel works, but doesn't let me change cities. When I try it kills my browser.

Anyone get this to work?
    Same thing happens to mine. Weather.com FTL.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    Wow!!!! I finally got this to work! Thanks so much. My Pre kept sending me to the mobile version of the site so I had to use google on the Pre to get to the main page of Accuweather. From there it was pretty simple. Zip code, Maps, Animate, it worked.
    I tried the above but still can't get animation... I just get a static map when I click on Animate or Large Loop. I've tried clearing my cache and cookies, and even restarting... don't know what else to try.

If you're actually seeing an *animated* radar map from Accuweather, would you mind posting the actual URL so I can try it?

Thanks!

Randy
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomyah View Post
    accuweather.com/enhanced-radar.asp?partner=vista1&traveler=0

there is a drop down window up top to the left, here you can choose high-res image, a little better, but im sure it takes longer to load.
    Yes!! I got this one to work-- an animated radar map, finally!

This one appears to work on the Pre because the animation is done via JavaScript... but simple animated GIFs that most weather sites use will not animate on the Pre. ..in my informal testing at least. For example, this page works great on my Treo 755p:

http://www.accuweather.com/m/en-US/N...4414063&zm=400

On the Pre or your PC's browser, click on the Animate link, bottom left... the Pre shows a static graphic and does not loop through the other 4 frames of the animated GIF. My desktop and Treo both loop thru all 5 frames.

Randy

Randy
    Last edited by Randy99; 06/22/2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99 View Post
    Hmmm.. I just updated my Pre to webOS 1.0.3 last night, rebooted and then tried various weather radar sites and still do not see any animation. This is very disappointing for me as I am a pilot and need animated radar to see which way the storms/cells are moving!

I even tried the "Weather Underground for iPhone" site mentioned above and animation does not work.

Randy
    I haven't tried it, but iphone has a WeatherBug app that animates very well
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99 View Post
    Yes!! I got this one to work-- an animated radar map, finally!

This one appears to work on the Pre because the animation is done via JavaScript... but simple animated GIFs that most weather sites use will not animate on the Pre. ..in my informal testing at least.

Randy
    If this is the case the National Weather Service loops should work fine on the Pre. I do not own a Pre so I am unable to test it out. At the regional level it is an animated GIF, but at the local level they use Java.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    For testing, attached is the animated GIF I was talking about...

I'm going to try accessing it from both my Pre and desktop to see what displays... here goes.

Results: no animation on Pre / animation on desktop OK.

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy99; 06/22/2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    As others have mentioned, classic radar on weather.com has worked on the Pre since day one. You can select all the different types of maps and animate them.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manutd7 View Post
    If this is the case the National Weather Service loops should work fine on the Pre. I do not own a Pre so I am unable to test it out. At the regional level it is an animated GIF, but at the local level they use Java.
    Java is different from Javascript. The Pre doesn't support Java or Animated GIF files. At least not yet.

The accuweather radar has about 10 pictures that they rotate through manually. It's the poor man's animated picture, but its all we have at the moment.

I still can't believe they don't support animated GIFs.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I still can't believe they don't support animated GIFs.
    If I hadn't needed a new phone, I prob wouldn't have bought the Pre because of this fact. I'm not an 'iPhone-r' but it can do it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12